Solstice had to return to Melbourne last night

TeeRick

I am on this cruise. I hope the passenger that became ill is recovering. At around 10:40 on the evening this happened, the cruise director made an announcement that was heard in all cabins that a guest experienced a medical emergency and after sailing 6 hours from Melbourne the ship would be turning around and sailing back to Melbourne. The next morning a video announcement was made by the captain explaining his decision. The passenger became ill at 9:30 the previous night and was in critical condition. After the ship’s doctor consulted with other doctors, logistic people, etc, it was determined that a transport by helicopter or boat would not be feasible based on the patient’s condition and the best option was to return to Melbourne for treatment. This video could be viewed on one of the ship channels throughout the day. Later in the day we also received a letter with an explanation and the revised itinerary.

Though a disappointment to miss the fjords, unforeseen things happen. I feel the ship kept us informed. Thanks for others posting their experiences on a similar itinerary as well as the weather link. We are sailing in moderate seas with our fingers crossed for arriving in Dunedin.

Interesting I did not know there was a video and I’m currently on the cruise.....

I am on this cruise. I hope the passenger that became ill is recovering. At around 10:40 on the evening this happened, the cruise director made an announcement that was heard in all cabins that a guest experienced a medical emergency and after sailing 6 hours from Melbourne the ship would be turning around and sailing back to Melbourne. The next morning a video announcement was made by the captain explaining his decision. The passenger became ill at 9:30 the previous night and was in critical condition. After the ship’s doctor consulted with other doctors, logistic people, etc, it was determined that a transport by helicopter or boat would not be feasible based on the patient’s condition and the best option was to return to Melbourne for treatment. This video could be viewed on one of the ship channels throughout the day. Later in the day we also received a letter with an explanation and the revised itinerary.

Though a disappointment to miss the fjords, unforeseen things happen. I feel the ship kept us informed. Thanks for others posting their experiences on a similar itinerary as well as the weather link. We are sailing in moderate seas with our fingers crossed for arriving in Dunedin.

Thanks for the update. Understandably disappointing to miss the sounds but you'll still see some gorgeous scenery at the other ports. I love sailaway from Dunedin. The channel from Port Chalmers out to sea is fascinating, and you might be lucky to see albatross at the heads. Akaroa is also a beautiful harbour. Enjoy the rest of your cruise, hope the seas are kind to you.

At around 10:40 on the evening this happened, the cruise director made an announcement that was heard in all cabins that a guest experienced a medical emergency and after sailing 6 hours from Melbourne the ship would be turning around and sailing back to Melbourne. The next morning a video announcement was made by the captain explaining his decision. The passenger became ill at 9:30 the previous night and was in critical condition. After the ship’s doctor consulted with other doctors, logistic people, etc, it was determined that a transport by helicopter or boat would not be feasible based on the patient’s condition and the best option was to return to Melbourne for treatment. This video could be viewed on one of the ship channels throughout the day. Later in the day we also received a letter with an explanation and the revised itinerary.

Thanks for that update on the communication. It seems that audio, video and letter may be their standard approach now, as we were given the same when we had a Chinese disruption on Millennium last year.

The information was certainly made readily available.

Some passengers don't ever seem to know what is going on while on a cruise. ;) You can count us in as being in that group before. We have now developed a habit of turning our TV to Channel 1 whenever there is an announcement in the hallway. The same announcement will be broadcast on the TV. In fact, it is mentioned during the Muster to turn to your TV for information concerning the ship.

Thank you for the explanation of how and when communications were made. From OP #2's post, I thought it sounded as though the announcement was made during the middle of the night... when everyone was asleep! Making the announcement before heading back to Melbourne makes more sense to me. ;)

This has nothing to do about the welfare of the passenger ...and the fact that the announcement was made during the night in our cabin...it is about choices.

Absolutely. I was 43 and totally healthy other than having migraines when I had my first identified one. I'd probably had one about 9 years before looking at what happened. Both times the ER dept at the hospital stated it was a migraine and sent me home after pumping me full of pain killers. It was only when the symptoms were still there on Easter Tuesday (I presented Easter Saturday) morning and I went to my GP I got an emergency CT and they discovered it had been a minor stroke. 6 months later when a major one happened from the same faulty blood vessel we knew what was happening and I was flown ASAP to Melbourne. That was 9 years ago now.

I can sympathize. ;)

On the Solstice in February, We had a medical emergency after we left Tasmania--we were 1st day at sea called for blood donors- then next day late afternoon -2 helicopters came to the ship landed & took patient in one of them & then wife in the other --flew them to Dunedin --we then proceeded into the Sounds the next morning . We were very lucky as I had heard that many times because of the weather the ship will not sail into the sound --4 buses of us disembarked & did the Queenstown overnight excursion-was wonderful. Seemed every port someone was being evacuated off the ship for medical reasons. The cruise before us missed 2 ports because of the Cyclone & came back a day early to Sydney. YOu can't do anything about the weather nor Medical emergencies--next time do a land tour of NZ. I have been 3 times to NZ love it! I would go back & do another land tour.

On the Solstice in February, We had a medical emergency after we left Tasmania--we were 1st day at sea called for blood donors- then next day late afternoon -2 helicopters came to the ship landed & took patient in one of them & then wife in the other --flew them to Dunedin --we then proceeded into the Sounds the next morning . We were very lucky as I had heard that many times because of the weather the ship will not sail into the sound --4 buses of us disembarked & did the Queenstown overnight excursion-was wonderful. Seemed every port someone was being evacuated off the ship for medical reasons. The cruise before us missed 2 ports because of the Cyclone & came back a day early to Sydney. YOu can't do anything about the weather nor Medical emergencies--next time do a land tour of NZ. I have been 3 times to NZ love it! I would go back & do another land tour.

NZ is best seen by a land tour. Yes I have completed the same cruise but followed it up by a land trip. Best decision I ever made. You just don't see enough of the south island on the cruise.

Annie

NZ is best seen by a land tour. Yes I have completed the same cruise but followed it up by a land trip. Best decision I ever made. You just don't see enough of the south island on the cruise.

Annie

Agree, we did a one week land tour and more recently sailed on Solstice. While we love cruising we did not see nearly enough of NZ. So glad we have done the land tour and are planning another land tour followed by a Celebrity cruise again.

Interesting! We were on the same cruise. We were in the theatre when an announcement was made about a helicopter coming in to pick up the ill passenger. A ship wide announcement was made to tell everyone not to go out on deck so that the patient had privacy. Never knew there were 2 helicopters that landed. And we never heard a sound while in the theatre.

Wow, maybe you think about having a break from CC for 24 hours.......

It's not mandatory defending your questionable position every 5 minutes with even more questionable arguments.

We get it that you are unhappy. Celebrity will get over with your cancellation for sure.

Deal with it and move on is my advise.

Perfect yoshikitty. My thoughts exactly. Have noticed Merriem has removed profile photo. Probably a good idea as I am on this cruise and her thoughts/rants are not what the majority of passengers are saying. Some people are always unhappy and whingeing and that is life. We are enjoying the cruise and no complaints here. With luck Meeriem internet package has run out . Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those wondering why a helicopter evac was not done ... a source close to the captain told us that a helicopter evac was impossible for the ill guest because at our position at sea a large helicopter would be required (the kind that can go long distance) and the helipad on the ship can only accommodate smaller standard helicopters. Hence the required return to Melbourne.

I am the OP of this thread. I posted a simple message to relay info about the emergency situation on the Solstice. Wow such a response after I posted! I am indeed having a great cruise so thanks to all of you who were wondering. I am very happy with the way Solstice and its captain responded to the medical emergency. Great communication overall IMO. After years of cruising I am used to stuff happening and itineraries changing and just roll with it. Hopefully the ill passenger is OK. It is disappointing to miss the fjords after coming all this way but an understandable (and very hard) decision. I think it would have been worse to skip a port and have everybody's excursion plans (private and ship's) disrupted. I think the idea that this was a financial decision to keep excursion money is not accurate. Think about how much it cost Celebrity to turn the ship around and sail an additional 12 hours at full speed. Fuel expense alone is enormous! The small percentage they make on shore excursions after paying the tour operators (for Celebrity excursions only- not private ones) I think would be small compared to the cost of turning the ship around and backtracking. On to New Zealand!!

I am the OP of this thread. I posted a simple message to relay info about the emergency situation on the Solstice. Wow such a response after I posted! I am indeed having a great cruise so thanks to all of you who were wondering. I am very happy with the way Solstice and its captain responded to the medical emergency. Great communication overall IMO. After years of cruising I am used to stuff happening and itineraries changing and just roll with it. Hopefully the ill passenger is OK. It is disappointing to miss the fjords after coming all this way but an understandable (and very hard) decision. I think it would have been worse to skip a port and have everybody's excursion plans (private and ship's) disrupted. I think the idea that this was a financial decision to keep excursion money is not accurate. Think about how much it cost Celebrity to turn the ship around and sail an additional 12 hours at full speed. Fuel expense alone is enormous! The small percentage they make on shore excursions after paying the tour operators (for Celebrity excursions only- not private ones) I think would be small compared to the cost of turning the ship around and backtracking. On to New Zealand!!

Thanks for getting back to us with a mature post reflecting an objective assessment of what transpired. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

For those wondering why a helicopter evac was not done ... a source close to the captain told us that a helicopter evac was impossible for the ill guest because at our position at sea a large helicopter would be required (the kind that can go long distance) and the helipad on the ship can only accommodate smaller standard helicopters. Hence the required return to Melbourne.

Interesting comment

We had two rescue helicopters come out to the Solstice from Dunedin just a few weeks ago and at the time we were about 16 hours out from Milford Sound. The Solstice was only about 5 hours of Melbourne if the time lost of 12 hours is correct. The helipad on the Solstice can take large helicopters and the typical helicopters used for medivacs these days have a long range

I think the cause of not having a helicopter come out for a medevac is a bit more complicated. My uninformed guess is that the patient may not have been in a medical condition to fly, but hat purely superstition.

Interesting comment

We had two rescue helicopters come out to the Solstice from Dunedin just a few weeks ago and at the time we were about 16 hours out from Milford Sound. The Solstice was only about 5 hours of Melbourne if the time lost of 12 hours is correct. The helipad on the Solstice can take large helicopters and the typical helicopters used for medivacs these days have a long range

I think the cause of not having a helicopter come out for a medevac is a bit more complicated. My uninformed guess is that the patient may not have been in a medical condition to fly, but hat purely superstition.

Oh dear, I hope the people complaining about the missed sounds don’t read this comment, there are still unhappy people on board, and any ammunition they can find will be spat right back out at the poor guest services staff. Apparently there is a petition going around by some passengers to try and get compensation:(

Celebrity has been my cruise line of choice for several years and this cruise is no exception. The ship is very clean, staff friendly and helpful and all food is delicious....except for smelly blue cheese. Eveeything onboard has been wonderful and I appreciated captain who has the right priorities. Bad behavior because you didn’t,t get your way is the reason Americanshave a bad reputation. I realize not all entries are American BUT majority are. Life is to short to complain about a change, enjoy the moment. there are worse problems in the world.

When your flight is cancelled due to weather issues completely outside the control of the airlines, if you hold elite status, Delta still comps you 10k miles, meal vouchers, hotel vouchers, and upgrade on the replacement flight. That's the model of customer service I am used to. The "YEAH it's not our fault, but we don't want you to be left with a bad taste in your mouth and we take care of our elites" model.

I have to admit that I'm curious how recently you experienced a delay with Delta that was not staff or equipment related and received the packet of comps you list. I'm 100k shy of 2million miles with delta, and while i've experienced mixes of those items, never have i gotten them all when the issue is weather related (that is truly not the airline's fault.) Further, on board the ship you have a place to sleep and eat; thus the emergency hotel and meal comps are a false equivalency. ( I think if you check, cruise lines don't tend to charge extra when they end up keeping passengers on board longer as the result of weather-- even Luminae opens for lunch on unplanned sea days.) On their own, 10,000 FF miles are close to worthless. Even $100 OBC is real money.

Finally I'm not sure I would be a happy RCCL shareholder if i found staff were wasting promotional credits on someone as already sold on the product as you. (3 advance bookings suggests that you're receiving all that's needed to seal the deal. any additional give-a-ways would be a disservice to the shareholders, employees and everyone who values the Celebrity/Aza/RCCL product.)

Interesting comment

There's a number of generalisations there. Just addressing them as gogo65 suggests it causes questions with what they did onboard.

For one, not every helicopter is the same, nor does every service have the same helicopter. It sounds like yours may have come from somewhere in NZ, whereas these would likely have come out of Melbourne, since that’s where the ship returned to.

Also, the fact two came out for the same case (if it's the story I'm thinking of) implies they weren’t that large, otherwise why not have both passengers travel on the same helicopter? Having two indicates the same service sent them out (otherwise they wouldn’t split up the pax as they would be from different regions) and indicates they believed they needed two to carry, which means they weren’t large.

Lastly, what is the basis to say they can take “large”helicopters on Solstice, and how large? I doubt it would be taking Seaking size helicopters, but unless you have access to the specs for that helipad, it can’t be said.

I have to admit that I'm curious how recently you experienced a delay with Delta that was not staff or equipment related and received the packet of comps you list. I'm 100k shy of 2million miles with delta, and while i've experienced mixes of those items, never have i gotten them all when the issue is weather related (that is truly not the airline's fault.) Further, on board the ship you have a place to sleep and eat; thus the emergency hotel and meal comps are a false equivalency. ( I think if you check, cruise lines don't tend to charge extra when they end up keeping passengers on board longer as the result of weather-- even Luminae opens for lunch on unplanned sea days.) On their own, 10,000 FF miles are close to worthless. Even $100 OBC is real money.

Finally I'm not sure I would be a happy RCCL shareholder if i found staff were wasting promotional credits on someone as already sold on the product as you. (3 advance bookings suggests that you're receiving all that's needed to seal the deal. any additional give-a-ways would be a disservice to the shareholders, employees and everyone who values the Celebrity/Aza/RCCL product.)

I don't know what to tell you. *shrug* I always find the Diamond Desk and the twitter team for Delta to be very responsive to weather delays. You just have to know to ask I suppose? I think also it may depend on your social media presence and influence. It's the same reason why some Delta Diamonds get the Porsche service more than others at ATL.

I don't know what to tell you. *shrug* I always find the Diamond Desk and the twitter team for Delta to be very responsive to weather delays. You just have to know to ask I suppose? I think also it may depend on your social media presence and influence. It's the same reason why some Delta Diamonds get the Porsche service more than others at ATL.

Perhaps you should cruise with Delta.

Social media presence and influence? I guess that says it all. Professional complainers probably do get more than others but it's not something I'd be proud of.

Many companies have stopped sucking up to "influencers" because they realize it does them no good. As evidenced on this thread, those who are used to complaining to get stuff for free just develop an attitude that is akin to blackmail.

The idea that someone in a suite should get some sort of compensation while everyone else is told to pound sand is also pretty appalling (and I always sail in suites). Anyone going on a cruise knows the potential for itinerary changes. Is it disappointing? Yes. Should the company pay you for the disappointment? No.

Many companies have stopped sucking up to "influencers" because they realize it does them no good. As evidenced on this thread, those who are used to complaining to get stuff for free just develop an attitude that is akin to blackmail.

The idea that someone in a suite should get some sort of compensation while everyone else is told to pound sand is also pretty appalling (and I always sail in suites). Anyone going on a cruise knows the potential for itinerary changes. Is it disappointing? Yes. Should the company pay you for the disappointment? No.

Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prior to when I retired I had a customer service department (among others) that reported two me. We would divide customer complaints into a few major categories. 1. A complaint where a violation of company practice or policy occurred. Those were responded to with both an investigation and compensation because company standards were violated. 2. A complaint where company policy and practice was followed, but did not meet customers standards. Those were analyzed to determine if company practices should be modified. In those cases the customer would get a response defining company practices/standards compared to their issue. They would also be notified if their complaint resulted in a change of practice or standards. Usually compensation would not be offered in those cases. 3. This category I would describe as CWDNWTK (Customers We Did Not Want to Keep). These were constant complainers whose complaints were generally of the category 2 type. Those whose complaints were buried in minutia, and continued to complain even when it was explained that their issues were outside of company policy or standards. Those folks would basically get the suggestion that our products were not a good fit for them and that they might want to look elsewhere.

If someone came directly to us, and communicated directly they would get the best response. If someone thought that going on mass media would get a different solution, our response often would be to move someone into the 3rd category. We wanted to make our customers happy, provide a good service that was a good mutual value. We did not want mass media complainers and would prefer to not keep them as a customer.

There is actually an entire marketing methodology built around that concept. It was one that was followed by Apple and Harley Davidson, as two examples. The concept is to attract customers that like what you do (and you do it well), and build advocates. While at the same time get rid of customers that do not like what you do and are not good fits. That is why people tend to love or hate Apple with no middle ground. Customers that are not good fits, but hand around because you try to appease them tend to do your business more damage by communicating their complaints to other customers. Where as if you get rid of them they go quiet pretty quickly.