Are Elite Perks Generous Enough?

need2cruisesoon

I feel Princess should have some higher level than elite. The benefits basically stagnate at 15 credits which is not a lot anymore. With 38 cruises the only extra reward is $50 OBC per cabin. The loyalty OBC that starts at 21 credits is long overdue for an inflationary increase.

We have 15 credits with Oceania and get $500 OBC, free gratuities, discounts onshore excursion package and discount on drink package. Our 21st cruise will be free and would 41st and 61st. They have several levels and the OBC and discounts keep going up. While free laundry does not kick-in until 60th cruise, the OBC more than makes up for it.

Princess could easily add loyalty levels that would offer discounts on excursions and various drink packages including coffee cards.

If they were to add another tier I would put it at 25 cruises or 250 days, anything less would be to close to elite tier. The perk I like best from RCCL is reserved seating for the shows.

So are you pinnacle on RCI? On our last few cruises Suite & pinnacle guests only received this privileged....at least on the ships we were on.

My favorite perk with RCI is free drinks during cocktail hour and the totally delicious appetizers that go with it.......we are talking scallops wrapped in bacon, egg rolls, tapas, giant choc covered strawberries, mini cheese cakes etc...etc....

I feel Princess should have some higher level than elite. The benefits basically stagnate at 15 credits which is not a lot anymore. With 38 cruises the only extra reward is $50 OBC per cabin. The loyalty OBC that starts at 21 credits is long overdue for an inflationary increase.

We have 15 credits with Oceania and get $500 OBC, free gratuities, discounts onshore excursion package and discount on drink package. Our 21st cruise will be free and would 41st and 61st. They have several levels and the OBC and discounts keep going up. While free laundry does not kick-in until 60th cruise, the OBC more than makes up for it.

Princess could easily add loyalty levels that would offer discounts on excursions and various drink packages including coffee cards.

Oceania...smaller ships to boot....have been looking at some of their itineraries...

And agree about Princess and kicking up the $25-100. And discounts would be great..they offer them in the shops why not ship wide.

I'm Ruby now but reading all the included's for Elite yet somehow not "wowed" by the perks.

My advice, get rid of the following:

- afternoon tea

- shoeshine

- canapes

- wine tasting

I mean do you really use these or get excited about shoe shine?

And replace with a complimentary (alcohol or non) beverage package or free excursions.

Now you've got something!

We are elite and don't use any of those. The only perks I see that matter to me are the priority boarding, exchanging mini bar for coffee cards or non alcoholic drinks, and the laundry. Only ones I care about.

Princess is interested in encouraging loyalty while spending the least amount possible. Many lines have decreased their loyalty benefits; Princess has not.

On every cruise board, people discuss how the program could be better and that there needs to be a tier above the current top. I think that Princess has a fair method of allocating status; the combination of cruises (cruise credits) and days is an attempt to be fair to each guest--those who take 100 night cruises as well as those who take 3 nights. I like that solo cruisers and those who are in suites get more credit--they are hypothetically spending more. I do realize that 2 fares in an inside cabin may be roughly equal to a single fare in a balcony, but at least the solo cruiser gets something for that single supplement!

A few years ago, a cruise director on a line where I have three times the number of cruises needed for their top tier commented that they had very few cruisers with that sort of numbers, but they all go on the same cruises. Yes, we chose the longer cruises, the new itineraries, etc. We don't want another Western Caribbean. It seems that Princess has something of the same problem. Granted, they've been around longer and have more top tier cruisers, but their Elites tend to gravitate to certain ships and certain cruises.

Do most cruise lines need a tier above the current top? Probably. But to do it, they shouldn't dumb down the current top perks; they need to add additional perks. At least Princess adds the OBC! But, from the cruise line's viewpoint, there is good data that the more cruises an individual has taken, the lower their per diem purchases on board. That makes sense--it isn't a "one and only" for us, and we know how to do excursions on our own, bring a bottle of wine, or whatever. The cruise line makes more money by recruiting a new customer than by rebooking an existing one. They are not going to spend a lot of money rewarding guests who bring them limited onboard spending.

Perks like early boarding, designated waiting area, canapes, and even laundry are a minimal expense. Specialty dining is a nice perk, but on an upcoming cruise I already have one specialty night for a suite and another as part of a booking package. Again, I do get specialty dining once on each cruise on my "most sailed" line...whether that cruise is 3 nights or 14 nights. Fair? Well, it is up to the line to award the goods as they will. And this line doesn't give free specialty dining as a booking package perk, so they aren't overwhelmed.

Discounts on excursions or complimentary beverage packages are nice for us, but those things cost the cruise line. If they give 5% on excursions, we'd all yell about how cheap they are, but if they give 25%, they've given away all of their profit on that item.

Bottom line, it is a perk. It is nice of them to award it. Could it be better? Of course. But is it the reason we cruise or even the reason we choose a particular line? No for me. It may influence who I look at first, but not who I book.

While I would not miss any of the perks mentioned by the OP, I'm sure other Elites would. I do miss the chocolate-covered strawberries as a choice for the formal night canapes. We did not receive the order form in our cabin on our cruise on the Regal last month, and I did not care since they've been removed from the choices.

Free drinks during the Platinum, Elite, and Suite cocktail event would be nice for a new tier past Elite. Princess could easily load two free drinks per day onto the accounts of Elite-plus tier passengers that could only be redeemed at that event. Or even better, load two free drinks onto these passengers' accounts that could be used anywhere.

And on cruises where the number of Elites causes a long delay in having laundry done, giving Elites one expedited bag with a limited number of items for overnight laundry service. Also give free tokens to the self-service laundries for those Elites who'd rather do their own laundry.

Those perks make sense--free laundry tokens (might have to limit the number to circumvent those who currently send laundry for their non-Elite friends and family members) so no charge for those who choose to do their own, and one or two beverages per day with a max price of X would be great perks.

While I would not miss any of the perks mentioned by the OP, I'm sure other Elites would. I do miss the chocolate-covered strawberries as a choice for the formal night canapes. We did not receive the order form in our cabin on our cruise on the Regal last month, and I did not care since they've been removed from the choices.

Free drinks during the Platinum, Elite, and Suite cocktail event would be nice for a new tier past Elite. Princess could easily load two free drinks per day onto the accounts of Elite-plus tier passengers that could only be redeemed at that event. Or even better, load two free drinks onto these passengers' accounts that could be used anywhere.

And on cruises where the number of Elites causes a long delay in having laundry done, giving Elites one expedited bag with a limited number of items for overnight laundry service. Also give free tokens to the self-service laundries for those Elites who'd rather do their own laundry.

I like the drinks loaded on the cards...as it could be a bottle water, coke whatever......would make everyone happy..or how about an addition to the mini bar....5 more items of your choice.

Tokens for laundry.. to many "battles" already in those rooms and as Moki'smom posted, sharing, also pax would keep the tokens for their next cruise just like they do the coffee cards........ are u ready for those threads......:D;)

I'm not sure as the the advantage of essentially life long perks. I don't have the numbers, but I do wonder how many of the "loyal" cruisers stick to the line due to the perks. I do believe it applies to the 30 trips and under crowd, but eventually, I have to believe it's the product that keeps em coming back. The perks are just some sparklers. I'm not suggesting support to eliminate them, but I don't see how adding even more perks for the super cruisers will result in them staying with Princess even longer. True some bennies might keep the elites returning, but I doubt if adding more would lock them in even stronger.

For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise count starts to get chopped after some finite period. i.e., after 15 years, the trips start to drop off to some minimum level. And we have to remember that the business side of things is looking at the return on a seasoned passenger vs a less traveled one. Who knows how those numbers might look.

I have always felt that the long term customers do NOT generate the onboard spending that first timers do. Just taking my wife and I as an example:

-Haven't bought a picture in years

-rarely take princess excursions

-Usually plan early to get the PBP for free

-but few if any souvenirs

But' date=' from the cruise line's viewpoint, there is good data that the more cruises an individual has taken, the lower their per diem purchases on board. That makes sense--it isn't a "one and only" for us, and we know how to do excursions on our own, bring a bottle of wine, or whatever. The cruise line makes more money by recruiting a new customer than by rebooking an existing one. They are not going to spend a lot of money rewarding guests who bring them limited onboard spending.[/quote']

Not with us. I started out cheap cruising... I keep upping the game to bigger cabins and extras, last cruise I tried Club Class, loved it. I'm spending more onboard and better excursions with every trip. I do look for deals and shoulder season discounts. Elite level is great keeps me coming back.

framer

Just a thought. Elite cruisers are good advertising for new cruisers. If somebody has never cruised before - whom do they ask? Answer is a seasoned cruiser. I have often said to Princess that an Elite cruiser is your best advert to your worst nightmare .... you choose. One worthwhile perk for a cruiser over 500 or 1000 days might be same day service for laundry. Cost to Princess is zero. I would be really annoyed if Princess started to “sell” elite perks and then clog up the system more than it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would be happy if they just brought back perks they eliminated.

For example, put the chocolate covered strawberries back on the list for the canapes on formal evenings and bring back the unlimited Internet that used to exist.

Everyone’s different and has different preferences. Hard for Princess to make everyone happy.

Free drinks or a coupon for two drinks a day does very little for me as I rarely drink.

Like Paul said, those of us with more days and cruise credits aren’t contributing very much to the bottom line. Like Paul, I haven’t bought a photo in at least two years and I think it was five years from then to the previous time I bought a photo. I don’t play bingo either.

As for changing everything to just days sailed, there are far fewer very short cruises than there were 3-4 years ago. And, because there are fewer, they’re not as cheap. Four years ago, Princess literally couldn’t give those 3-4 Day cruises away. Reduce supply and demand drives up prices.

As a solo cruiser, I pay 200% for my cabin even in an inside. I’m often not eligible to take advantage of some promotions as they’re based on double occupancy or for balcony or above. I currently get two cruise credits for paying the same as two people. If the Captain’s Circle levels were days only, I’d get screwed again.

As the saying goes, “Be careful what you wish for.”

As some people have pointed out when one has a third of the pax at elite level, it is difficult to cater for them, ie laundry. priory boarding. etc.... idea maybe discount on fare or OBC based on sea days ( bigger discount/ more OBC ) would be a better, and it wouldn't matter how many elites were on a cruise .. they would all get the perks ( money saving )

Just an idea Don

I would be happy if they just brought back perks they eliminated.

For example, put the chocolate covered strawberries back on the list for the canapes on formal evenings and bring back the unlimited Internet that used to exist.

On the Royal they didn't even have sufficient strawberries to put them out in the Horizon occasionally.

They don't seem to be that expensive an item to totally eliminate them.

As some people have pointed out when one has a third of the pax at elite level, it is difficult to cater for them, ie laundry. priory boarding. etc.... idea maybe discount on fare or OBC based on sea days ( bigger discount/ more OBC ) would be a better, and it wouldn't matter how many elites were on a cruise .. they would all get the perks ( money saving )

Just an idea Don

I doubt that Princess will be looking to give away more money (discounts or OBC) to the Elite passengers. More likely would be things like priority sitting in the theater, priority for dining table size, etc for those in a new super elite category.

I'm satisfied with the Elite perks as they are...just don't start selling my perks to others (early boarding, for instance)

I'm quite happy with what is presently on the list of perks for Elites. I don't utilize all of them, but certainly appreciate the ones that I do use, as well as the loyalty OBC.

I agree with kendon about not offering for sale any of the perks that I have earned after 40+ Princess cruises (several of which were solo (double fare)) and quite a few thousand $$ spent cruising with Princess.

I would be really annoyed if Princess started to “sell” elite perks and then clog up the system more than it is now.

Do not be surprised if they do. Airlines and hotels now offer certain Elite status levels just for having a branded credit card. Passengers who flew 1,000,000 miles on certain airlines and received lifetime status could have accomplished the same status if they had an airline branded credit card now. You can get Hilton Honors Diamond status just by having a certain Amex card. I look for Princess and other cruise lines to probably go down the same road as these other travel companies...they can make a lot of money just by getting people to apply for a higher level of a Princess Credit Card for a fee and some cruise perks....:eek:

Do not be surprised if they do. Airlines and hotels now offer certain Elite status levels just for having a branded credit card. Passengers who flew 1,000,000 miles on certain airlines and received lifetime status could have accomplished the same status if they had an airline branded credit card now. You can get Hilton Honors Diamond status just by having a certain Amex card. I look for Princess and other cruise lines to probably go down the same road as these other travel companies...they can make a lot of money just by getting people to apply for a higher level of a Princess Credit Card for a fee and some cruise perks....:eek:

I just did this and have received my Hilton Amex and Diamond status. However the Diamond status that comes from the Amex is only good for 2 years not lifetime, and most hotel promos like this require you to book a lot of stays to maintain your status. You may be right that Princess may do something like this but if so hopefully it's an offer of status for a fixed amount of time, not lifetime.

I have always felt that the long term customers do NOT generate the onboard spending that first timers do. Just taking my wife and I as an example:

-Haven't bought a picture in years

-rarely take princess excursions

-Usually plan early to get the PBP for free

-but few if any souvenirs

Totally agree with this. We don't even get a beverage package. I just qualified for Elite but also I took my first Princess cruise in 2005, so it took me 13 years to get there, lol.

but I get the Loyalty OBC as well. That extra $100 on every cruise regardless of length

What is the loyalty program mentioned by Pam in Ca? I am an elite cruiser and never saw any loyalty program.

Extra OBC for number of Cruises.

Starts at $25.00; up to $100.00

What is the loyalty program mentioned by Pam in Ca? I am an elite cruiser and never saw any loyalty program.

Once you have 21 cruise credits, you get OBC every cruise. It starts at $US25 and tops out at $US100 for 52 or more cruise credits.