What's Next After Royal Class?

need2cruisesoon

Something has to give and building another 150,000 ton ship after Sky is not gonna get anybody excited.

Perhaps Princess has on the drawing boards 120,000 ton 2,000 passenger ship with more innovation and dining options.

Let's try building smaller with more luxury and a reason to get excited.

Let's skip the ***** debacle and put efforts (and $$) in to a real truly designed ship that will wow the cruise industry.

Your thoughts?

unfortunately the cruise market right now these day is bigger is better. if you want to smaller mid size ships, you have to try other cruise lines that do not market to the mass market.

i was watching a tv show a few weeks ago and it said something how a bigger ship is financially cheaper to run and operator then a mid size ship.

unfortunately the cruise market right now these day is bigger is better. if you want to smaller mid size ships, you have to try other cruise lines that do not market to the mass market.

i was watching a tv show a few weeks ago and it said something how a bigger ship is financially cheaper to run and operator then a mid size ship.

Not always. MSC has announced they’re building smaller.

OP, I'm with you. I wish Princess would come up with something really innovated as well. I really enjoy Princess, and will sailing on the Royal in a few days, my first time as Elite, but I wonder if this will be my last Princess cruise, at least for awhile.

I do look at what some of the other mass-market lines are adding on their ships, and while I don't see (Or want) Princess to become like NCL, they could take a few clues from them. I like the Al Fresco dining offered on The newer NCL/Carnival ships, and the myriad of choices. I would love to go on Celebrity's newest, Edge, because I love how they are opening up views of the sea (Their vision of the Lido Deck is brilliant), but I hate how their Retreat area is only for suite guests, and the prices for suites are astronomical. At least The Sanctuary is open to anyone willing to pay for it.

I am not sure what would get me excited about a new ship, but I'll know it when I see it.

We were told at our recent Captain Circle parties that after Sky there will be 2 new Royal class ships. Also told a new class was being developed but too early to give any details except it will be larger.

I’d like them to build a Super Royal-Class along the size or bigger than that of Royal Caribbean’s Quantum-Class ships. Not unlike how NCL’s “new” class of ships were enhanced versions of the Breakaway. They could keep the same/similar platform but...

With the additional length and size Princess could add a few exotic or high end specialty restaurants, other entertainment venues, more or bigger topside pools (something like an upper level aft, tiered horizon pool similar to what MSC Miraviglia has would be nice).

They could eliminate the pool fountains like they did on Britannia. Build a series of water slides within and aft of the funnel (also similar to MSC Miraviglia).

Get rid of The Sanctuary once and for all and turn it into a forward-facing Observation Lounge during the day, and a full-fleged disco and night club after 8pm.

Also: keep the Retreat Pool, but enclose it like they did on Majestic Princess. Maintain Crooners, return the Explorer’s Lounge.

Reconfigure the main lounge to be able to stage honest-to-goodness Broadway shows and license two or three of them like “The King and I”, “Cabaret”, “Beautiful - The Carol King Musical”, or “Kinky Boots”. Maybe add a Planetarium Experience like Queen Mary 2 has into Princess Live!.

Figure out someway to add a foot or two back onto the balconies. Give the inside cabins Virtual Balconies.

And quit adding more cabins into every little void and empty space, and give the bean counters a vacation.

These aren’t all new innovations, and since we don’t want Princess to become “something else” in the process while adding innovations like giant theme parks and weird gimmicks, it’s difficult to say what they could add to break out of their mold.

Oh. And while they’re figuring out a way to add that extra foot or so back into the balconies, reconfigure the lifeboats to hang and suspend from the sides. I think most all of us are past the “aesthetics”, and would appreciate a wrap-around promenade, even something like The Waterfront.

Oh. And while they’re figuring out a way to add that extra foot or so back into the balconies, reconfigure the lifeboats to hang and suspend from the sides. I think most all of us are past the “aesthetics”, and would appreciate a wrap-around promenade, even something like The Waterfront.

Yup!!!

I’d like them to build a Super Royal-Class along the size or bigger than that of Royal Caribbean’s Quantum-Class ships. Not unlike how NCL’s “new” class of ships were enhanced versions of the Breakaway. They could keep the same/similar platform but...

With the additional length and size Princess could add a few exotic or high end specialty restaurants, other entertainment venues, more or bigger topside pools (something like an upper level aft, tiered horizon pool similar to what MSC Miraviglia has would be nice).

I know some people love the specialty restaurants but not me. I'm fine with the MDR and buffet. At this point, I don't cruise to eat and now typically lose weight on a cruise because I don't snack and move more.

They could eliminate the pool fountains like they did on Britannia. Build a series of water slides within and aft of the funnel (also similar to MSC Miraviglia).

This I have to disagree with. I think that would totally change the Princess 'character.'

Get rid of The Sanctuary once and for all and turn it into a forward-facing Observation Lounge during the day, and a full-fleged disco and night club after 8pm.

Also: keep the Retreat Pool, but enclose it like they did on Majestic Princess. Maintain Crooners, return the Explorer’s Lounge.

Totally agree! I love the enclosed pool areas.

Figure out someway to add a foot or two back onto the balconies.

Again agree. I think this was a very big mistake.

These aren’t all new innovations, and since we don’t want Princess to become “something else” in the process while adding innovations like giant theme parks and weird gimmicks, it’s difficult to say what they could add to break out of their mold.

Not sure I want to see them break out of their mold. I like it the way it is. It's why I keep sailing on Princess ships.

Yes, if I could have decent sized balconies and a wrap around promenade, I'd be much happier about the royal class.

If I had my fondest wish it would be for a few more small ships, ala the lovely Pacific Princess. While I have cruised on most of the other ships in the fleet (except not any of the new "Royal class ships, which I choose to avoid), she's become my absolute favorite ship in the fleet for the more intimate ambiance, the smaller number of passengers, closer relationships with the crew and staff, and the itineraries that visit some of the world's smaller, less visited ports.

I don't see that happening, but a girl can dream.

Something has to give and building another 150,000 ton ship after Sky is not gonna get anybody excited.

Perhaps Princess has on the drawing boards 120,000 ton 2,000 passenger ship with more innovation and dining options.

Let's try building smaller with more luxury and a reason to get excited.

Let's skip the ***** debacle and put efforts (and $$) in to a real truly designed ship that will wow the cruise industry.

Your thoughts?

I just came off the Crown Princess and had a wonderful chat with the Captain in his board room as part of the Ultimate Ship Tour. He stated that there are 2 more Royal Class ships after the Sky and another design in the works for more ships. He did not know anything about the new design as it is still in the design stage.

I look forward to finding out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know some people love the specialty restaurants but not me. I'm fine with the MDR and buffet. At this point, I don't cruise to eat and now typically lose weight on a cruise because I don't snack and move more.

This I have to disagree with. I think that would totally change the Princess 'character.'

Get rid of The Sanctuary...

Totally agree! I love the enclosed pool areas.

Figure out someway to add a foot or two back onto the balconies.

Again agree. I think this was a very big mistake.

Not sure I want to see them break out of their mold. I like it the way it is. It's why I keep sailing on Princess ships.

I agree with dianne.in.ny. All of this and Internet that can stream, at a resoanble price, and I'll keep coming back.

Of course, none of this will happen because it will cut into revenue and that is the most important thing (to Princess). I don't begrudge them a good profit but pax should get something too. And this doesn't mean going back to the past by having different classes of pax, differentiated by how much they pay.

I don't like the recent trend, not only on Princess, of having separate dining rooms for 'suite' pax. I think this is a step in the wrong direction. And I hope all lines don't got he way of MSC and their "yacht club".

I think the cruise line can make money and not take away every night steak as an option, or remove public spaces for more cabins, or any of the other things they are changing and not for the better.

I would pay an extra $100 for a slightly larger balcony, better quality food all over, and more public access spaces.

ML

I agree with dianne.in.ny. All of this and Internet that can stream, at a resoanble price, and I'll keep coming back.

And this doesn't mean going back to the past by having different classes of pax, differentiated by how much they pay.

I don't like the recent trend, not only on Princess, of having separate dining rooms for 'suite' pax. I think this is a step in the wrong direction. And I hope all lines don't got he way of MSC and their "yacht club".

Too late. Celebrity has Suite and Aqua Class. Separate dining rooms, lounges, additions, etc. RCI has suite class, again, separate dining rooms, lounges only for them, deck space, etc. NCL has Haven. MSC has Yacht Club. Carnival is getting in on the trend. Cunard, obviously . And Princess with their Club Class, and on Royal class ships - the Concierge Lounge for Suite guests only...it's the trend...it's gonna get worse before it's better.

As for Internet, Regal has topped out with fastest at sea...however, that was under a specific test, and still only available on Regal.. Supposedly , it will be expanded. Not holding my breath....

I’d like them to build a Super Royal-Class along the size or bigger than that of Royal Caribbean’s Quantum-Class ships.

The bigger the ship, the less ports that can handle it.

The bigger the ship, the ports that can handle it will be more crowded.

Princess used to have a fantastic variety of itineraries. But a big ship that goes to St.Thomas, St. Maarten and a (overcrowded) private island is not, in my opinion, an award-winning itinerary.

As for Internet, Regal has topped out with fastest at sea...however, that was under a specific test, and still only available on Regal.. Supposedly , it will be expanded. Not holding my breath....

My understanding is the reason for the improved internet system was to accommodate the RFID connections of the Ocean Medallion. Since they aren't able to retrofit all the existing ships with fiber optic wiring, the solution was to provide the connection through WIFI and speed was needed as well as bandwidth. New dishes were brought on board for the satellite connection. Regal was to be the first trial and I believe that the CB will be next to bring on the "Grand-type" class ships. It could be that the CB has already had the added satellite capturing dishes on board but don't quote me on that.

Too late. Celebrity has Suite and Aqua Class. Separate dining rooms, lounges, additions, etc. RCI has suite class, again, separate dining rooms, lounges only for them, deck space, etc. NCL has Haven. MSC has Yacht Club. Carnival is getting in on the trend. Cunard, obviously . And Princess with their Club Class, and on Royal class ships - the Concierge Lounge for Suite guests only...it's the trend...it's gonna get worse before it's better.

Ah, yes. As I was typing I knew there were other examples but all I could think of was MSC :) I guess it is too late, but I find it very annoying.

RCI already has fast Internet, and they offer sales that are pretty good pre-cruise. Why doesn't Princess copy this too? :D

If we have to wait for *****, it may be past my cruising lifetime!

Several other cruise lines have good, fast, reliable internet at reasonable rates--Royal Caribbean and Disney among them. Hopefully Princess will joint them soon.

We prefer ships in the 2500 passenger range. And we choose to not book on the behemoths. However, as long as cruise lines have no trouble filling their big ships, they'll continue to build them. All we can do is vote with our dollars.