Breakfast

MDR whenever possible. It has a huge array of choices now, and sea day brunch is delicious. I despise the crowds and noise of the Lido and avoid it whenever possible. If we wake early, we will have coffee on the outer decks. I don't like room service because I don't like having the tray and clutter in the room and it is WRONG to place your gross leftover food in the hall for people to smell and trip over.

Not a big food person. A croissant and a cup of coffee at 8:00 a.m. is all I need till the afternoon. So the buffet for me.

Always surprised how many threads here revolve around food, am I missing something? (answer; No, it's just food).

You're missing thousands of unnecessary calories. I used to be a food person until I officially clocked in with a bmi in the obese range. So, I got healthy (and dumped the pounds). Now, for breakfast it's one of 2 things from the buffet:

1-Omelet with some vegetables (potato is not a vegetable) on the side

or

2-Fruit (and nuts if available) in one tablespoon of non-fat yogurt

Is the Garden Cafe only on some Carnival ships? Never heard of it.

Sorry. Didn't realise I had ventured out my safe zone. I'll retreat. But yes, GC is the buffet on all NCL ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry. Didn't realise I had ventured out my safe zone. I'll retreat. But yes, GC is the buffet on all NCL ships.

Don't retreat, join us on the Fun side of cruising :)

Thanks for clarifying, with new Carnival ships coming on line it's hard for me to keep up.

What do most of you prefer. Buffet, MDR or Room Service.

I usually like MDR Breakfast as the Buffet tends to get crowded. However on or two days I will do buffet to dine out doors.

Never have done room service in all my cruises need to at some point.

What does everyone else prefer?

Any Breakfast favorite? MDR Eggs Benedict for me.

When I cruise with my husband, he's happy with buffet because we are usually rushing to get off the ship for an excursion. When my sister and I cruise, we are leisurely and try to hit the dining room for breakfast and dinner. We don't live "elegant" lives so we love the "fancy" dining room. At least I'm hoping its still more upscale than the buffet. I haven't been on a Carnival in a while.

Don't retreat, join us on the Fun side of cruising :)

Thanks for clarifying, with new Carnival ships coming on line it's hard for me to keep up.

Haha. I'm having plenty fun where in am. But I never say never [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't cruised before-should I assume that the buffet is the same everyday?
Mostly the same every day. May be one or two items switched out. Go to the omelet station to get eggs any way you want them (over easy, fried, scrambled, etc). Much better than the eggs from a carton that is served in the buffet line.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Is bar service available in the MDR at breakfast and lunch?

I know at breakfast in the MDR you can get Mimosas or Bloody Mary's. But not sure if full bar service is available or not.

One of our pleasures on cruises is to eat breakfast in the MDR. We almost NEVER eat out for breakfast on land so it's s treat for us. Only when we are in an extreme hurry do we do the buffet for breakfast. It's too crowded, the food can get cold by the time you find a seat. I love the leisurely pace of breakfast in the MDR. RCCL has the best breakfast in the MDR that I've ever had, since they have a mini-buffet IN the MDR along with waiter service, so, if you want extra bacon, or some fresh fruit while waiting for your order, it's there. Loved that feature. Looking forward to seeing what Carnival cooks up on the Horizon. Never really had a bad breakfast in the MDR of any cruiseline I've taken. I'm not an eggs person so I love the waffles, or French toast. Nice hot coffee, which tends to be MUCH better than on the buffet.

Mostly the same every day. May be one or two items switched out. Go to the omelet station to get eggs any way you want them (over easy, fried, scrambled, etc). Much better than the eggs from a carton that is served in the buffet line.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Oh my! Thanks for the heads up on that! Definitely like fresh eggs!

Sadly I didnt realize you could eat breakfast in MDR on our first cruise.. was buffet every day. Of course we had aft balcony and were placed in the front dining room so may not have mattered. Will definitely give MDR a try on next cruise.

This is info I didn't have either. So although we have a set time for dinner each night we can go to the MDR and get breakfast whenever we want? Do we get the same table/people that we have at dinner?

I usually like MDR Breakfast as the Buffet tends to get crowded. However on or two days I will do buffet to dine out doors.

I will always either have room service for breakfast or go to the main dining room. I’m one of those people that do not like buffets because I don’t know if children have had their hands in the food I don’t know if anyone has coughed on the food I just think it’s very unsanitary but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mostly buffet when I travel with my husband; we're usually trying to visit ports as early as possible. With my sister, we try to go to the MDR. We love elegant as much as possible.

Jenny

I used to love the room service breakfast, but not any more since they removed my favorite items, ie smoked salmon. Still enough on the room service menu for me, but the last two cruises, I put that door hanger menu order on my door in the evening before bedtime, and in the morning, when I wondered why my order was not coming, I opened the door to find the dang thing still hanging there, and no one had picked it up the night before.

I have no problem with lido breakfast. I tend not not do heavy breakfast anyway, so often just get fruit and a croissant, with a side of scrambled eggs (and while many hate those lido scrambled eggs, I have no problem with them, taste fine to me).

If I sleep in...rare in my world but after a few days of vacation (and cheers), it will happen, then I will go to sea day brunch (on a sea day), love the huevos rancheros, and salted carmel cheesecake, among other things on that menu. Just my way though, we all have a different way of breakfasting.

I think Carnival does a good job of breakfast options though

Don't hate me, I am a smoker, so the first thing I do, is go up to the lido, grab some coffee, and go to the smoking area, and am happy, but hungry. We wait for the MDR to open. That way I can get a fried egg and never have to doubt whether it came from a chicken or a box full of chemicals.

Since DH has not been eating much (side effect of chemo) on our recent cruises, I grab a hard boiled egg on the lido, and have that-making lunch the more important meal. I used to love the guava-papaya-mango juice on the lido, but now I find it too sweet, so it's coffee and an egg. And breakfast pastry.;)

I haven't cruised before-should I assume that the buffet is the same everyday?

My experience is that there are many items that are the same each day, but some types swap out (type of sausage or potato, muffin varieties).

This is info I didn't have either. So although we have a set time for dinner each night we can go to the MDR and get breakfast whenever we want? Do we get the same table/people that we have at dinner?

You are only assigned a table and table mates for traditional evening seating (early or late). Breakfast or brunch is more like anytime/my time/your time (each line calls it something else) dining. There will probably only be one dining room serving, which might be different than what is on your S&S card for dinner - check the fun times. You will check in with the hostess and may have a table for just your party or might share. My husband and I did two brunches on the Pride and were seated by ourselves both times.

You can go anytime during the listed hours on the fun times. There is also usually a tea time on sea days in the afternoons where you can get little sandwiches and desserts.

OP - we tend to be MDR people, but had room service one day due to an early shore excursion (7 am meeting time) and found it adequate but nothing special. This cruise we also were somewhat disappointed in MDR service and preferred doing a combination of Lido and Blue Iguana. In addition to the burritos you can also get huevos rancheros (a little different than brunch but still good) and arepas. I found the burrito to be too much, but you can get a dish of just filling w/o the tortilla. BI items are served to you as you go through line rather than fixing yourself so that limits the 'buffet ick factor'. The omelet station and some of the other areas of the buffet are similar.

It's probably all the same, but I liked lido hot chocolate better than MDR :eek:.

We have done all three and each serves a purpose, although I do covet my omelettes from Lido though.

Sea Day brunch is a MUST.

Hubby is usually sweet enough to go get us coffee from the coffee shop to start our morning on the balcony and then we get to the MDR for breakfast...last cruise we didn't order room service and only had the buffet breakfast on the last day....I don't even eat breakfast in my "real" world so breakfast on ship is a treat for me....