Rethinking the UBP - decisions, decisions

glm7777

I originally signed up for the UBP promo on the Dawn. I'm not a big drinker but the ability to have a drink (for "free") when I wanted it was appealing to me. But now I'm thinking that I would likely prefer to have a frozen drink instead of a regular drink. Are frozen drinks included in the package? And are they likely to be more than the $15 limit?

I think I could live just fine for the week on iced tea and lemonade and get a drink or two if I really felt like having one - even a non alcoholic frozen drink and just pay out of pocket. Although I guess if I plan on getting a frozen drink (non-alcoholic if it's included) or 2 every day - then the UBP would still be worth it since it comes out to only $14.14/day (which is the service charge). Right??????

Or should I just switch to the signature dining instead - although between the 2 dining rooms and the buffet and the other little places to eat, there seems to no shortage of food choices!!

What would you do????? I need help making this life altering decision lol!!!:eek:

I'm not much of a drinker, but I love my frozen drinks while on vacation! On our most recent cruise on the GEM the BBC was my favorite. And they are all included in the UBP. I think if you get a souvenir cup they are more expensive.

But now I'm thinking that I would likely prefer to have a frozen drink instead of a regular drink. Are frozen drinks included in the package?

Yes. All of the popular ones (Miami Vice, Mango Meltdown, Coladas, etc) are fully covered by the UBP

And are they likely to be more than the $15 limit?

No, they are likely to be less as long as you don't pick something "special". Even if it is over $15, you only pay the amount over $15 plus 20% on that difference. A $17.95 drink would cost you $3.54

Although I guess if I plan on getting a frozen drink (non-alcoholic if it's included) or 2 every day - then the UBP would still be worth it since it comes out to only $14.14/day (which is the service charge). Right??????

Non-alcoholic drinks are included. The current UBP promo works out to be $17.80 per day.

I originally signed up for the UBP promo on the Dawn. I'm not a big drinker but the ability to have a drink (for "free") when I wanted it was appealing to me. But now I'm thinking that I would likely prefer to have a frozen drink instead of a regular drink. Are frozen drinks included in the package? And are they likely to be more than the $15 limit?

I think I could live just fine for the week on iced tea and lemonade and get a drink or two if I really felt like having one - even a non alcoholic frozen drink and just pay out of pocket. Although I guess if I plan on getting a frozen drink (non-alcoholic if it's included) or 2 every day - then the UBP would still be worth it since it comes out to only $14.14/day (which is the service charge). Right??????

Or should I just switch to the signature dining instead - although between the 2 dining rooms and the buffet and the other little places to eat, there seems to no shortage of food choices!!

What would you do????? I need help making this life altering decision lol!!!:eek:

If you really think you'll have 2 drinks per day, you will be roughly break-even. But toss in an occasional glass of wine at dinner, or something like that, and you'll be ahead. No matter where you go on the ship for a drink, you'll find a few options that cost a little more than the $15 limit...but you have to work hard at that. Most common frozen drinks are well under. ALSO, I'm not a huge drinker myself, but I do drink more when on cruises! I hear that I am not alone in that. Might that also apply to you?

FINALLY, despite my recommendation to keep the package...think about what you will be doing on excursion days. Will you actually drink your 2 drinks on the ship if you're headed off on day long excursions. Cuz remember, that gratuity you paid also costs you when you AREN'T drinking. So if you are a purely daytime, sitting around the pool drinker, and 3 of the days on your ship, you won't even be there during the day...your math might change.

Keep the package.

Work your way down the cocktail menu. Order every drink that you wanted to try at your local bar, but would never pay money for.

When your alcohol meter clicks "full" for the day, switch to virgin frozen drinks. Sipping that virgin mango daiquiri out on the waterfront, watching the waves is the best!

This is the way I view it. I am typically a 1 to 2 drink person on a cruise. On my recent Dawn cruise, we got the beverage package. It was fun not to have to worry about price. Also I was able to try new things without any buyers remorse. I would stick with the beverage package

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

though I do not drink frozen drinks I have seen many people drinking them and some pretty exotic drinks as well. I am betting $$s to donuts they were part of the UBP.

I have to ask, what is this? It looks nice and chocolatey?

It's called a Bushwacker and it's chocolatey and DELICIOUS! Some NCL bartenders make them better than others. I believe the drink was invented on the island of St. Thomas but the best bushwacker I ever had was at a bar and grill in Gulf Shores, Alabama called Tacky Jack's.

I can't see how the UBP is worth it. Just checked again for my cruise on Escape that leaves this Sat.

At $89 per day it comes out to

PRICE PER PERSON: $ 747 60

Paul $747.60

Barbara $747.60

Skylar $49.98

Edited by shadow52
eliminate extra spaces

I can't see how the UBP is worth it. Just checked again for my cruise on Escape that leaves this Sat.

At $89 per day it comes out to

PRICE PER PERSON:

$ 747 60

Paul

$747.60

Barbara

$747.60

Skylar

$49.98

Most people agree it is not worth purchasing but ncl includes it as a perk on most sailings. Ask for a re-quote of your cruise fare with the “free at sea” promotion choosing the ubp as a perk. If you are in North America you will have to prepay gratuities on the package and your cruise fare will probably increase (I find usually 40-60pppd) to get the package included. Not surprisingly this increase is approx the cost of drinks packages on other cruise lines ... just a different way of marketing.

The drinks package is good if you are a drinker but not otherwise as it does not include any water, specialty coffees, sport drinks or even soft drinks in packages unlike most other cruise lines but the advantage is that there is no limit on number of drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would never purchase a drink package on NCL due to fact that they are a ridiculous amount of money and don't even include the same perks RCCL does in their UBP for $30 less a day than NCL. No thanks. To not even bottled water with a beverage package for $89 a day...that's robbery! I will pick the beverage promo and spend the $125 service charge but that's about it, or else "pay as I go".