Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

I apologize but must be among the handful that don't understand the point raised by OP here, also started another post about "shows tenure too long" and I quote -

"
We travel on NCL’s mega ships about four times each year and frankly I’m getting tired watching the same shows over and over again"

... sailing mega ships 4X a year

... Broadway quality shows (oh, don't we miss those by Jean Ryan Productions then)

Two unrelated posts about NCL's entertainment, I suppose. I find it more annoying that folks walk into the main theater after curtains up, stand on the steps and look left & right, walk again & stop again, hunting for empty seats in the middle, blocking the view and disrupting others too. But, guess what ... it is what it is - just another first world problem, like the complaints about chair hogs, smokers or watery drinks, etc.

Imagine for a moment, for someone to sit thru a 100 minutes show with no intermission if you have the urge to go and/or have bladder issues ... when you gotta go or the kids or whomever must head for the exit, they will and do ... last thing we need are proposals for theater security to police it and lock the doors.

Most of the time, the entertainers and performers on stage can hardly see the crowds in the audience, except for those sitting in the front rows with all the lights, sounds, music & their own concentration ... IMO, to notice the "minor" distractions.

Besides, it's like preaching to the choir, ship's 5% population on CC ...

I'm with you on this one - what a funny post and who cares (well, I guess lots of people here do).

I routinely leave once on a long show and come back to use restroom. The only show on NCL though that we left after about 10 minutes was Second City twice as it was awful in our opinion yet others really enjoy them. Each to their own.

Getting up and leaving a poor show is actually much better 'decorum' than what goes on at some of the opera houses in Europe--substandard performers get booed, hissed, and whistled off the stage in Italy.

If a show is bad, get up and go.

I always find a seat as close to the back of the theater as possible, hopefully on the aisle. Because trust me, if I dont like the show I am not wasting my time watching it. I doubt the performers lose any sleep if they happen to see an old fat guy like me leave! I do research up front and if it is something I am not interested in, I wont take up a seat in the first place. Example: Brat Pack. I was a big fan of the Hughes movies. But something just hit me wrong when they started throwing the F word around so casually in the performance. I am not a prude but I simply said to myself, this one is not for me. Not being judgemental at all. It is fine if folks liked that and stayed to hear more. Wow, I do sound so prudish. I guess age has something to do with that. Over that 60 year hump.

(and yes I knew the play was adult with adult language when I went in)

I'm with you on this one - what a funny post and who cares (well, I guess lots of people here do).

Have you read any the threads about NCL not allowing water to be brought on board? Now THAT subject is something a ;plot people care about! Ha ha! This is nothing! I would only really "care" if someone was in the theater and disrupted or distracted me from watching the show. Although some "bad theater" can be pretty entertaining too!

Edited by Seminole1975

I've been on all those ships and seen all those shows. It's not an issue that the theme is offensive. It's more that the shows are not great. Especially on the Escape. I think the Brat Pack and Burn the floor are probably the worst shows I've ever seen on NCL and I'm platinum and love the shows.

But as far as doing the research in the event you are offended.....how about the other way around. I think the obligation is on NCL to do THEIR RESEARCH on the demographics of who's on their ships!! Good lord. ON the Epic a few weeks ago, the average age had to be 65 years old. My husband and I are 50 and we were bringing the average age down by at least a decade! Of course 65 year olds aren't going to be up for Priscilla, flaming, openly, in your face homosexuality like that. Its not like Will and Grace and a little sprinkling of in your face homosexuality. The dance troupe in Priscilla are on a political agenda specifically to offend. With this demographics, it should be perfectly acceptable to anyone on that ship that if they don't like the politics of the message they can leave. If you're going to talk about rude......that's on NCL, being rude for being so dismissive to their demographics.

But in my case, I'm not offended, I just thought the shows sucked. If the shows suck, you get up and walk out and not waste another minute of your cruise. We say "freestyle" on these boards right?! Someone getting up in front of you doesn't block your view for 5 minutes, getting up and out takes like takes like 10 or 15 seconds.

Mainly, bad shows SHOULD be walked out of and NCL is pumping out there share or bad shows!

I've been on all those ships and seen all those shows. It's not an issue that the theme is offensive. It's more that the shows are not great. Especially on the Escape. I think the Brat Pack and Burn the floor are probably the worst shows I've ever seen on NCL and I'm platinum and love the shows.

Mainly, bad shows SHOULD be walked out of and NCL is pumping out there share or bad shows!

I am spending way to much time on CC, today, but enjoying this conversation. I see some people complaining about the shows and therefore they walk out. I am curious, what shows would everyone like to see? Shows that might be good on a cruise ship, so that people would not want to leave.

I think Jersey Boys is a good addition.

I am spending way to much time on CC, today, but enjoying this conversation. I see some people complaining about the shows and therefore they walk out. I am curious, what shows would everyone like to see? Shows that might be good on a cruise ship, so that people would not want to leave.

I think Jersey Boys is a good addition.

Agree with Jersey Boys. We also tend to enjoy tribute bands, Legends in Concert (which seem to have all but disappeared), and a few individual performers. We've gotten really tired of the large production numbers with mediocre to just plain bad singers.

Why wouldn’t you not walk out if it sucks? You could do all the research in the world and have even seen the show before but if the performers are bad....I’m not wasting my vacation time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, saw the worst Beatles show ever on the Sun a few years ago. Why should I humor terrible music to please the egos of said horrible performers? Walked out after 2 songs, wondering "Why is anyone listening to this?"

Not at all. Just as I cannot MAKE anyone feel or do anything. How someone feels about what I do is their choice. I cannot make any mad, angry, happy, or glad. People feel how they choose to feel. I also cannot offend anyone. They can choose to feel offended by what I do however. What someone else feels is not under my control. Have great day, I hope you are not going to choose to be offended by my post, then again that is your choice.

No. Your actions can affect other peoples emotions, but you know that. That's how interactions between people in society works.

You can have the last word. That's what people who like to stir the pot do. :rolleyes:

The performers will get over it if you walk out. They are getting paid, they don’t know you and don’t care. You won’t be the first or last that has walked out.

If you are not enjoying the performance there is absolutely no reason for you to sit through it. You just leave without causing a commotion.

I walked out of a performance on the Getaway in one of the lounges/bars with 80% of the people. It was supposed to be a performance of Bee Gees songs. It was a nice looking Russian lady singing, but she was horrible, there was no way I was going to sit through an hour of that even with free drinks.

You want to sit through something you are not enjoying on your vacation, your choice.

I think it’s good manners not to disturb other audience members when leaving and thus either sit back and on an end or wait til a scene change. I do not think it’s rude to the performers for anyone to leave in a way that isn’t causing a disturbance. I don’t think etiquette in any way requires one staying at a performance.

Have you read any the threads about NCL not allowing water to be brought on board? Now THAT subject is something a ;plot people care about! Ha ha! This is nothing! I would only really "care" if someone was in the theater and disrupted or distracted me from watching the show. Although some "bad theater" can be pretty entertaining too!

What if someone got up in the middle of a show to go smoke on their balcony before getting a free drink for their friend who doesn't have the UBP and on the way back they put a towel on a beach chair to reserve it for later?

What if someone got up in the middle of a show to go smoke on their balcony before getting a free drink for their friend who doesn't have the UBP and on the way back they put a towel on a beach chair to reserve it for later?

Ok Ok ... that was me. I had to be sure my deck chair was all set for the morning. :')

I think it’s good manners not to disturb other audience members when leaving and thus either sit back and on an end or wait til a scene change. I do not think it’s rude to the performers for anyone to leave in a way that isn’t causing a disturbance. I don’t think etiquette in any way requires one staying at a performance.

I like your approach.

I'm with you on this, but sometimes it's the parent who causes the disruption - as is my example below.......

If anyone has been on the NCL Spirit, it is the worst setup for a theatre. The main entrances are on either side of the stage. During one performance a late arriving guest walked in alongside one of the performers in the middle of their song. Instead of being considerate to the performer, she continued walking in with them until she got to the main aisle. I didn't mention that there was a entry/exit at the very back of the theatre.

I suggested to the staff that the "main" entrance be closed off once a performance started, but they said they don't like to offend passengers by making them walk to the back. I was able to talk to some of the performers and told them the same thing, but without saying much, they gave me a shrug and thanked me with a big smile. I knew they wouldn't say anything against rude passengers, even if it was deserved.

I’m on the Spirit at the moment, and have noticed a few times as I walked past that the deck 7 entrances are closed during the performance. Signs tell people to enter on deck 8.

I rarely attend the shows anyway, probably averaging at one per cruise. Usually, if we do go to one it is because we think we will like it.

However, I did sit all the way through Rock of Ages on the Breakaway once. I’d have loved to have left, but would have disturbed a few people. That is a couple of hours of my life I’m never getting back.

As a result, if I’m really not sure about a show then I will make sure I’m at the back and on the end of a row. The only time I have actually left was one of the shows on the Escape (I can’t even remember which one). I didn’t like the sound of any of the shows but thought I should try one. There are some stools right at the back and it is easy to leave without disturbing anyone. It probably would have been better to have just stayed away though.

On the smaller ships you generally know what you are going to get, and even if they are performed badly they can be quite entertaining if you like the theme. On the Jade last Summer, the magician was so bad that it was really enjoyable. :)

I will add to this foray. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the parents who allow their children/teenagers to put their feet on the back of my seat, push, kick or otherwise make sitting uncomfortable or even worse between the seats so I literally have their feet next to me. I will kindly ask them to stop as it is causing me discomfort; parents give me an agitated look and it may stop(not always..sometimes becomes worse). I agree you should not be required to ruin your vacation by watching a show you don't like, but don't ruin somebody else's enjoyment of the show (i.e. leave discreetly) . I have to agree with someone else's statement about it being a "me" society; what has happened to common courtesy? Enjoy your cruise, but don't infringe on another's right to enjoy their cruise.

silly thread; you better believe it and yes, I would be tempted to walk out as well. I don't think it has anything to do wiht manners. I will say, last year on the BA we went to 2nd City. If it hadn't been such small theater and we hadn't been toward the front we would have walked out. It was awful, we just didn't want to disrupt others so we stayed.

But as far as doing the research in the event you are offended.....how about the other way around. I think the obligation is on NCL to do THEIR RESEARCH on the demographics of who's on their ships!! Good lord. ON the Epic a few weeks ago, the average age had to be 65 years old. My husband and I are 50 and we were bringing the average age down by at least a decade! Of course 65 year olds aren't going to be up for Priscilla, flaming, openly, in your face homosexuality like that. Its not like Will and Grace and a little sprinkling of in your face homosexuality. The dance troupe in Priscilla are on a political agenda specifically to offend. With this demographics, it should be perfectly acceptable to anyone on that ship that if they don't like the politics of the message they can leave. If you're going to talk about rude......that's on NCL, being rude for being so dismissive to their demographics.

But in my case, I'm not offended, I just thought the shows sucked. If the shows suck, you get up and walk out and not waste another minute of your cruise. We say "freestyle" on these boards right?! Someone getting up in front of you doesn't block your view for 5 minutes, getting up and out takes like takes like 10 or 15 seconds.

sorry, that is strictly a matter of opinion. First of all with spring break, I am amazed to hear there were so many seniors on your cruise, but that is a different debate for a different time. Now, NCL basing any cruise on demographics would be impossible. Today's cruise may have nothing but families, the week later seniors, etc. These shows run of at least a few years. And as for poor shows, again, a matter of opinion. On the Epic we were going to go to Priscilla until we heard about the subject matter. It wasn't for us, but most of the people we talked to and yes, some were older loved it. the same with Rock of ages. We have seen shows we enjoyed, others did not. NCL does a great job on their entertainment. That is one thing they are noted for. I will add, for us, one show per cruise has become about all we attend. We prefer to listen to the piano player or the entertainment in the Atrium. Our age is catching up with us. We have seen a lot of shows in the past, not we enjoy just relaxing and enjoying the quietness of the night.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I always walk out if I dont like a show! Why would I waste my time sitting there miserable when its MY vacation that I paid for. So much going on the ship that I will find something else to do.