Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts. or St Maarten???

crilski

It is an area that is covered....it has a couch, a coffee table, end table and a couple of chairs

and it located upstairs, forward of the pool on the grass. There are about 10 alcoves up there and you can

rent them.

Here is a photo:

Cabanas-Celebrity-Silhouette.jpg

That photo can’t have been taken on Reflection in the Med in the summer - I can actually see grass in front of the alcove ;p:D.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I am not a shopper - but everything else that was mentioned. Looks like St. Maartens would be the best choice for me. I wish the Alcoves faced the water, not the grass. We'll see . . . . Thanks again!

Originally we was to a beach shorex with Celebrity, but this was cancelled because of rain in the morning. Later the rain stops so we decided to do a self walking tour to the Historical Church. Everything was closed because a holiday (next day of elections). the people is friendly but the city is abandoned, to many trash in the streets, and our goal the Church is destroyed and also abandoned no signs of reconstruction. As the church you can see also many abandoned buildings..

Just back from St Marten on the Reflection and happy to say, certainly on the Dutch side, the island appears to be finding its way back from Irma. We did a tour first day and relaxed on the beach at Philipsburg day two which was great (and personally would do that way quicker than alcove in port).

Antigua we found absolutely beautiful, did an island tour with local taxi (organised easily in port).

If I was determined to miss visiting one of these amazing islands I would alcove in Barbados

Just back from St Marten on the Reflection and happy to say, certainly on the Dutch side, the island appears to be finding its way back from Irma. We did a tour first day and relaxed on the beach at Philipsburg day two which was great (and personally would do that way quicker than alcove in port).

Antigua we found absolutely beautiful, did an island tour with local taxi (organised easily in port).

If I was determined to miss visiting one of these amazing islands I would alcove in Barbados

Definitely agree on St Maarten. The locals are very upbeat and certainly appreciate the ships coming back. We ate at Lizzy's on the first day they reopened. DW had ribs and I had grilled shrimp - very tasty.

On the down side, word was that the French side was still to be avoided.

Originally we was to a beach shorex with Celebrity, but this was cancelled because of rain in the morning. Later the rain stops so we decided to do a self walking tour to the Historical Church. Everything was closed because a holiday (next day of elections). the people is friendly but the city is abandoned, to many trash in the streets, and our goal the Church is destroyed and also abandoned no signs of reconstruction. As the church you can see also many abandoned buildings..

Um, what port? Or is this a continuation of your post from 2 days ago?

Antiqua not to experienced about this island been there twice. Met some people on the ship and a bunch of us went to the Pineapple Beach Resort, had a blast. Barbados been there once had to do the rum/snorkel with the rest of the family. St Lucia very pretty would like explore more in depth. St Kitts have never been there. Is that where they have monkeys? St Martin I would like to support their recovery efforts. Also, been there a ton and love it each time! I would have to say Barbados....

Hi gerelmx....it was such a delight to meet you and your wife at lunch on the Eclipse....first time I've met anyone from CC! And, I agree about Antingua....the only thing really good about Antigua was Hemingway's restaurant! Great food, service and atmosphere and we were on the second floor so street was below us. We were awakened at 7:30 a.m. by a loud speaker and parade that continued all day long, apparently in celebration of a political victory...the shopping area is not very pleasant....very few places to sit in the shade.....vendors hawking trips are everywhere....and unless you go on a shore excursion it's not worth leaving the ship for. As for St. Maarten and St. Lucia we get off the ship to have lunch at our favorite restaurants: Blue Bitch in St. Maarten and Pink Papaya in St. Lucia.

If I were to stay on the ship and rent an Alcove, which port would you pick? (since Alcoves are cheaper when in port)

The port that I wouldn't mind missing, according to your opinion would be which one? And why?

Thanks!

Easy Choice - St Kitts by a mile. By far my least favorite of that group. Love Antigua (my favorite island), St Lucia (hubbys favorite island) and St Maarten

The beaches in Antigua are wonderful... I would stay on in st. Kitts or st. Marten...depends what you like to do....

I agree! We are total beach people and love, love Antigua. Actually stayed on Antigua for our 25th wedding anniversary. That island just "speaks" to me. I love it there.

Are we talking about the same church?? We were there that day too. It is in bad shape, but evidence of reconstruction was everywhere. Lots of lumber, nails, other evidence of building all over the place. Not great to visit right now but they are definitely working on it.

We were in Antigua earlier this year also and we thought the shopping was pretty decent. Unfortunately when it was the holiday only the extra touristy shops were open by the pier. Normally when you walk a couple blocks over there are a number of cute little shops. We were pleasantly surprised as we hadn't remembered it being that way in previous years. We did not venture out of the port area so can't speak to the island recently. Years ago we enjoyed the beaches and my DH and DS loved the excursion swimming with the stingrays.

Are we talking about the same church?? We were there that day too. It is in bad shape, but evidence of reconstruction was everywhere. Lots of lumber, nails, other evidence of building all over the place. Not great to visit right now but they are definitely working on it.

We never entered the church, seeing the conditions outside was enough

It is an area that is covered....it has a couch, a coffee table, end table and a couple of chairs

and it located upstairs, forward of the pool on the grass. There are about 10 alcoves up there and you can

rent them.

Here is a photo:

Oh, I see. Thanks.

I would stay on the ship in St. Maarten. We've been too many times. It's a popular port on many itineraries so its more than likely you'll stop there again. The island is still in recovery mode after the hurricanes as well.

Agree with this... skip St. Maarten

We went ashore in St. Maarten on our 3/18 cruise on the Eclipse....it's true the hurricane damage is very visible but most of the shops, beaches and restaurants are open and in my humble opinion as people able to take a Caribbean cruise to escape winter, we have a moral obligation to patronize the restaurants and shops....they need our help and we shouldn't ignore them.

Its a difficult question to answer for me because I love all the islands listed here.

I can think of a few I would miss but if I had to choose one based on my last visit a few weeks ago then I would choose St Maarten but then I love having a shop wander - I think I would not book the alcove :confused:

rent them.

Here is a photo:

Interesting - how much does it cost please? Is it booked for the day? Thank you

When first introduced it was $99 Port Days and $149 on Sea Days. It does vary between ships, I believe Port days is still $99 but Sea Days has increased to $299 in the Caribbean

https://www.celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/onboard-facilities/restaurants-cafes/speciality-dining/the-alcoves/

Edited by mickey89

Honestly, after looking at the picture - it looks like a patio set which can be found at many homes. If it were me, I'd forego the $99 patio/back yard bbq and use the money at any of those ports for an excursion or a day at the beach. If it were me, I would be so happy to be in the Caribbean enjoying beautiful white sand beaches and warm water and not being at home in my patio/bbq area. If it were me I really would reconsider and try to get it for a sea day if its that important to you.