Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts. or St Maarten???

crilski

If I were to stay on the ship and rent an Alcove, which port would you pick? (since Alcoves are cheaper when in port)

The port that I wouldn't mind missing, according to your opinion would be which one? And why?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t mind staying on the ship in Antigua. My first cruise, in October, stopped at Antigua and St. Kitts, which are the only ports on your list that I’ve visited. I did a beach excursion and a little shopping in the immediate port area on each island. I enjoyed both but thought St. Kitts was much nicer. While the beach in Antigua offered the soft sand and the clear, calm, turquoise water I was looking for, everything I saw or experienced on the island seemed run-down and struggling compared with St. Kitts. I’m not sorry I visited, but Antigua isn’t a place I feel any urge to return to.

I haven't been to Antiqua in a long time so I cannot respond to that one .........but if I was to stay on board in would definitely be in St Maarten. Been there too many times to count. Let everyone else go........relax and enjoy the ship since so many people will be on land that day.

St Maarten definitely...much of what's left still needs work...

Barbados would be a runner up...It's a beautiful island but congested near the port, rsp getting in and out ...and we've seen alot of it already,

We like Antigua...nice beaches, interesting kiosks and shopping near the pier area even if a bit run down...Also enjoy St Kitts..nice beaches, craft market beyond the tourist shops..cute little town, nice hisyorical sites...

Depends on what you enjoy, port order if u need a break, and where you have been previously.

We did that itinerary in November. I would skip Antigua, it was run down, the streets were mobbed and the shopping wasn't that great. A few passengers claimed they were pick-pocketed - of course it could happen anywhere. There were many aggressive tour guides in the port area, but we didn't feel comfortable going with any of them.

We didn't get off in St. Lucia because we unexpectedly had to tender, my son is disabled and there was announcement that the tendering would not be recommended for anyone with mobility issues.

Our overnight in St. Maarten was subbed with St. Kitts and Martinique, so I only know what I read here about the conditions on St. Maarten.

My call would be St. Maarten.

Have has great beach experiences in Antigua and always find something new to do in St. Kitts or Nevis.

My favorite island in the Caribbean is St. Maarten. But we were just there on an overnight. It has a long, long way to go. It will be (IMHO) a very long time until much of it is normal, whatever the new normal will be. I was sad to see it. So very little is open on the Dutch side of Philipsburg other than tourist stores. It's so sad, and the people in the stores come out and follow you, they're desperate for business, and it never used to be like that. One can certainly understand, but it was hard to see. We always walk to the town, never taking the water taxi. Hundreds of boats, small yachts junked up, businesses boarded up or being torn down, just a few tourist shops here and there. Reports of people who took taxis to the French side said it was worse. The cute little town of Grand Case - so sad still.

We didn't even leave the ship the second day. Do alcove that port.

I've been told there are 365 beaches in Antigua - one for each day of the year!

We really enjoyed our tour of Antigua on our Christmas holiday sailing - great guide and finished at one of those fab beaches. My vote would be for St Maarten for the alcove day.

We really enjoyed our tour of Antigua on our Christmas holiday sailing - great guide and finished at one of those fab beaches. My vote would be for St Maarten for the alcove day.

Agree with this Alcove Day Pick - also, St. Maarten is on many itineraries, so easy to get back to in the future...

Either St. Lucia or St. Martin—though it pains me. St. Martin really needs the income and the devastation is very real. We were there just a few days ago—people living on the first floor of their home because the roof is missing on the second floor and tarps covering the stairwells. Most homeowners did not have insurance so rebuilding is going to be very slow and dependent on someone in the family having income.

We have been to St. Lucia a number of times and no longer feel it is worth it to even get off the ship. Each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I were to stay on the ship and rent an Alcove, which port would you pick? (since Alcoves are cheaper when in port)

The port that I wouldn't mind missing, according to your opinion would be which one? And why?

Thanks!

As others have said, it is hard to be certain without knowing your interests.

We would chose St. Maarten because we are not really shoppers (otherwise, this would be the best shopping of your options), it is usually busy, and it is still recovering from the hurricane. Our second pick would be Antiqua unless you wanted to do the Eco tour or an historical tour.

I would never skip Barbados as it is our favorite port of those that you mentioned.

Have fun making your selection and enjoy the day.

Right up front I will admit that I am biased towards St Maarten. We have been going every year since 2009, except for last year. Yes, still lots of damage but plenty of places are open and you can enjoy yourself. If you want a beach experience go to Karakter Beach. My favorite on the island. Good food for lunch and a great beach.

We visited Antigua for the first time last November and I was not impressed at all. If that is ever on our itinerary again, I would probably not get off.

Everyone has an opinion!

Enjoy your cruise.

Was there a month ago for an overnight on Reflection so...definitely St. Maarten.

We did do the sunset champagne catamaran excursion and enjoyed that quite a lot.

Alcove on the second day makes total sense to me.

I personally would never skip Antigua - the beaches are so stunning and the people are very friendly. Valley Church beach has been our favourite one there so far but it is getting more popular so more crowded compared to our first visit. I would probably skip St. Kitts or St. Maarten.

Antigua really doesn't have much to offer other than beaches.

St. Maarten was devastated by last year's hurricane and still hasn't recovered.

Either of these would be my choices.

We were in St Maarten March 15. Most of the Boardwalk businesses are back and the beach there is fully operational. Front St still has some shops closed but mostly open. Old Street, really a favorite shopping alley of ours, was devastated with only 2 shops open. We didn't venture to Back Street.

We also visited St Thomas on that cruise and I must voice a contrast. On St Maarten there was the constant background of hammers and saws. The people were actively involved in the recovery and there was an upbeat vibe. St Thomas, on the other hand, still showed much damage but there was very little active recovery in view. There also appears to be a bit of a scam by some businesses. Several times we were compelled to pay cash because the card reader or the internet was down. It happened too often not to be suspicious. As it turns out this was a way for them to hide revenue in order to qualify for more relief (FEMA) money.

I'm not fond of Antigua because of the port area. It is teeming with aggressive tour guides/taxi drivers that won't take no for an answer, and follow you barraging you with offers. We've also had times where the agreed upon price is suddenly jacked up upon arrival at the destination. It worked out but was most unpleasant and it happened more than once. It's also known for its pickpockets, so if you do go ashore there, beware and keep your cash/credit cards in multiple secure places.

Excuse my ignorance - what's an Alcove?

It is an area that is covered....it has a couch, a coffee table, end table and a couple of chairs

and it located upstairs, forward of the pool on the grass. There are about 10 alcoves up there and you can

rent them.

Here is a photo:

Cabanas-Celebrity-Silhouette.jpg