Secret Menu in MDR

We’ve tried asking for veggie Indian dishes in the main dining room on Oasis (an emphatic no) and Symphony (yes I can order you marinated tikka paneer for tomorrow ). When it came the next night it was plain pieces of cold unflavoured paneer. When the head waiter asked if it was ok, we said no it was plain and cold. The next night he said “as you didn’t like the paneer we haven’t really got any other Indian food for you”. So that was it. We tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They had a separate vegan menu on the Grandeur. It was just a printed out page with 5 entrees on it. After a couple times picking things off of it, my wife and our head waiter would just talk about what she wanted the next night. By about day 4 she just told him to pick things for her. She was in heaven. Some nights he brought 2 different entrees in case she didn't like one of them. I was worried going into the cruise that it would be difficult to get vegan meals, but this head waiter was great.

Can you still order that even if it's not on the kids dessert menu?

They had a dark chocolate brownie on the kids menu on Oasis in February. Easy enough to ask for some vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. Viola! A brownie madness..

Pulled pork BBQ can cause a riot when you get the sauce versus no sauce, with or without cole slaw groups. :D

Legit. BBQ is dangerous territory because it's VERY regional. Sauce vs no Sauce, sweet vs savory, vinegar based or no, slaw or not. While accepting of other regions' idea of BBQ, most of us have a way that we prefer and think of that as 'what BBQ is'. For example, I grew up in Southern VA, so for me, BBQ is pulled pork, red sauce (that is sweet leaning with a hint of that vinegar twang), slaw on side. Travel 1-2 hours south of where I grew up, and BBQ is pulled pork, completely vinegar based sauce or mustard based vinegar sauce and slaw on top. Ribs are served with sauce where I grew up, but go out TN, KC, and I believe they do a dry rub with no sauce. And then there's TX. There's nothing in the world like TX brisket.

And let's not start the biscuit discussion. lol

I also will echo the sentiment that it depends on what ship you're on. I've never had luck asking on the Oasis, always been told no. Even though both times a large portion of the crew was SE Asian. I say that because I'm sure the crew dining room had plenty of curries and such done. But no luck getting it in the MDR. On the flip side, I had luck getting it on a Celebrity sailing (forget if it was Reflection or Escape) which was surprising because there was not as much SE Asian representation in the crew but the buffet had lots of curries so maybe that's why. Princess, I do believe I was also able to get a curry dish one night. But, on a whole, we do not do a lot of MDR dining so that may also be why we could not get dishes as I think maybe if you can form a rapport with the wait staff you might have better luck. On a 7N cruise we may only eat 1-2 meals if that in the MDR.

Order the kids’ Mini Brownie Madness for dessert and thank me later. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never tried that one, I always order a banana split at least once during the cruise and watch the table mates eye me with envy.

Just off Freedom (3/17) - we asked our wait staff about the cold soups, but were informed that we could "only" get it when it's on the menu. We had chilled strawberry soup ONE night out of 8.

We had the same response from our waiter on Serenade in April. He said it would be on the menu one night, and it was. We had chilled strawberry soup.

Legit. BBQ is dangerous territory because it's VERY regional. Sauce vs no Sauce, sweet vs savory, vinegar based or no, slaw or not. While accepting of other regions' idea of BBQ, most of us have a way that we prefer and think of that as 'what BBQ is'. For example, I grew up in Southern VA, so for me, BBQ is pulled pork, red sauce (that is sweet leaning with a hint of that vinegar twang), slaw on side. Travel 1-2 hours south of where I grew up, and BBQ is pulled pork, completely vinegar based sauce or mustard based vinegar sauce and slaw on top. Ribs are served with sauce where I grew up, but go out TN, KC, and I believe they do a dry rub with no sauce. And then there's TX. There's nothing in the world like TX brisket.

And let's not start the biscuit discussion. lol

Unfortunately are you WRONG with your choice. :D :D

My Dad is eastern NC, so pulled pork is vinegar, served on a bun with hot sauce and cole slaw. :D

Actually, I like most BBQ, although not a huge fan of the mustard based sauces.

Then there is corn bread. :D

Never tried that one, I always order a banana split at least once during the cruise and watch the table mates eye me with envy.

I must try the banana split. Anyone know if the Mini Brownie Madness or Banana Split are on the kids menu?

• 2 months later...
Besides Indian, has one had any luck with requesting other foods like Indonesian or Jamaican?

You might be able to get an entree or two upon request, but I do not believe those are regular options like the Indian choices.

Just got off Harmony, and escargot wasn't on the menu the last few nights. We noticed a plate of it on a tray and asked our waiter how another table got escargot without it being on the menu... next thing you know, we have three plates of escargot!

The next night it wasn't on the menu again... I asked the waiter... we got it anyway.

Moral of the story -- you just never know what you can get, unless you ask!

I. tried that on our February Oasis cruise, no luck. Could only have escargot when on the menu

I. tried that on our February Oasis cruise, no luck. Could only have escargot when on the menu

This isn't really a mystery. They stock the ship every week, but it's only on the menu a certain number of nights. If they don't use it all, they'll keep making it until they run out for those who might ask.

I've been told that you could ask what was cooking in the crew mess. I've done that once and got really good curry!

The waiters told me when you request Indian, that is different from the Indian they serve in the crew mess. Supposedly less spicy.