Only ever cruised Princess...about to try Carnival! Some questions

jeaniust

Hi! I'm in charge of planning a ladies get away for myself and some friends. I'm in my late 30's and have cruised 3 times prior all with Princess and I love Princess. However I needed a 3 or 4 day out of Long Beach in Aug/Sept and unfortunately Princess is still in Alaska during this time so Carnival it is. My girlfriends have never cruised before so they are very excited and happy to try Carnival. So here are my questions and would appreciate ANY input:

1. Looks like Carnival Inspiration/imagination doesn't have balcony rooms? How are their interior/oceanview room sizes compare to Princess Grand class balcony?

2. What should I expect that's different on these Carnival ships from Princess Grand class ships? Public space, entertainment, dining, and vibe in general...

3. What decks should I book? I know on princess I look for the decks NOT below or above pools, clubs etc. I'm clueless on Carnival...

I think I have many more questions and I apologize if there's a previous post on this already but if someone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a Princess cruiser too, but did one short Carnival cruise with family. I enjoyed it more than I expected to, even though I did miss my Elite perks.

Sorry, but I can't answer your questions re: those particular ships. The one I was on was one of Carnival's older ones. The service was fine, and the dining room food was good. The buffet had plenty of options.

I was on the Fascination (so same Fantasy class as Imagination) and the inside rooms were much larger than Princess's inside rooms.

I am sure they have been painted since I was on the ship (20 years ago) but the colors were so bright and everything was so elaborate compared to Princess. I would prefer it to be tuned down.

Hi! I'm in charge of planning a ladies get away for myself and some friends. I'm in my late 30's and have cruised 3 times prior all with Princess and I love Princess. However I needed a 3 or 4 day out of Long Beach in Aug/Sept and unfortunately Princess is still in Alaska during this time so Carnival it is. My girlfriends have never cruised before so they are very excited and happy to try Carnival. So here are my questions and would appreciate ANY input:

1. Looks like Carnival Inspiration/imagination doesn't have balcony rooms? How are their interior/oceanview room sizes compare to Princess Grand class balcony?

2. What should I expect that's different on these Carnival ships from Princess Grand class ships? Public space, entertainment, dining, and vibe in general...

3. What decks should I book? I know on princess I look for the decks NOT below or above pools, clubs etc. I'm clueless on Carnival...

I think I have many more questions and I apologize if there's a previous post on this already but if someone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

I've cruised both Princess' Grand Ships and the Carnival Inspiration. Here were my observations:

- cabin sizes are very comparable and maybe the Carnival was a little bigger, as I remember. We were in an inside cabin on Carnival and only on OV/balconies on Princess.

- the Inspiration was a bit flashier than the Grand/Golden I've been on. Lots of neon, as I recall. My DH was turned off by it, it didn't matter to me.

- food overall was comparable but Carnival had a sushi bar and a midnight buffet, something Princess does not. We loved the sushi bar and ate there every evening before going to the MDR. It was free, just gave tips to the guys making the sushi.

- there was a younger crowd on Carnival. Probably because it was a 5 night that was around a long weekend. More single people as well.

- seemed like there were more smokers on board Carnival. I'm not a smoker, so something that I did notice that I haven't noticed on Princess. This was probably the 1 single thing I didn't like about the Carnival ship.

- more entertainment & after hours things going on, on Carnival than Princess. On Princess seems like everything shuts down by 10p but on Carnival, there were lots of stuff going on even after 10p.

I overall enjoyed the Carnival cruise and would definitely go again. My DH, not so much. However, in your case, I think you all will enjoy the cruise. If I was doing a cruise with my gal pals, I would go Carnival over Princess with no hesitation. Have fun planning and a great cruise!

I sailed on the Carnival Spirit a few years back and enjoyed the trip immensely. It was a newer ship so it did have balconies. My only concern would be the fact that Carnival ships tends to be a little more of a party ship. I would not want to sail during spring break. We had fun. Enjoy!

I recently did the 4 day Inspiration out of Long Beach - it was my first time on Carnival and I was definitely one of those that vowed NEVER to sail on the "walmart" of cruising! I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it far more than I thought - there were even a few things that they did better than Princess (Anytime Dining being the major one!)

-I had an interior on Carnival and it was bigger and with a better lay out than interiors on Princess. I can't imagine a ship having no balconies? Or maybe you mean they are all sold out....

- The decor on Carnival (well, at least this ship) is pretty stimulating - very neon, very in your face. I didn't love it and much prefer the Princess decor.

- Food was top notch on Carnival! Guys Burgers (no extra charge) was to die for. The buffet was set up really well with various stations so never line ups, never ran out of food, and always plenty of choice. Main dining room/anytime dining worked like clockwork and the food was good. They do have some menu items that are an extra charge. They also have entertainers, etc that come through the dining room and do a little stint while you are eating (the magician came and sat with us one night and kept my kids enthralled!) Also, the servers have some singing/dancing numbers during dinner.

- The passengers were a much, much younger demographic - this was more of a party cruise but it didn't impact us at all. If anything, the ship was quieter by day as most of them were sleeping off the night before. It also made it easier to participate in family events as most of the young party crowd were in the clubs, etc.

-Staff was outstanding - all so eager to please, so polite, and so hardworking

- Kids club was amazing - my kids had a blast and begged to go to late night kidsitting every night! Lots of family stuff going on around the ship, too.

I am booked on the new ship coming to the West Coast in 2020 and would definitely do another "party" cruise. We had a great time for an amazing price!

Enjoy

-I had an interior on Carnival and it was bigger and with a better lay out than interiors on Princess. I can't imagine a ship having no balconies? Or maybe you mean they are all sold out....

A lot of these ships were built before they were putting lots of balconies on ships. And Carnival has kept their ships longer than some other lines. I thought the Fantasy class ships had balconies for Suites only - though I could be wrong. There are some HAL ships that are similar where only the suites had balconies.

Lots of balconies didn't become popular until the late 90's for ship builds.

When I first started cruising in the 90's, balconies were not an affordable option or not an option on most ships. I think Princess's Sun Class ships were the first to have affordable balconies. (Sun, Ocean, Sea and Dawn Princess). Even out of those, Princess only has the Sun Princess left. The balconies were small and cut from the hull (metal of the ship). Totally different from today.

I was on the Inspiration 2 times for the 4 day out of Long Beach. I dot not like the decor. I would like to know what Carnival ship is coming to the west coast and do you know what route they will be doing?

Lynn

Brand new ship - Panorama - will be on the West Coast starting December 2019. Currently only Mexcio itineraries listed.

Brand new ship - Panorama - will be on the West Coast starting December 2019. Currently only Mexcio itineraries listed.

WOW! Thank you! I'll check it out. Not sure it can beat my love for Princess!

My favorite Ruby and Crown are going to Australia and Europe so I'm thinking of other options.

You wrote a great review and it is exactly what my daughter and I experienced last year on the Inspiration. Still prefer Princess but I will look at the Panorama. I like to compare whats out there. Thank you.

Lynn

I was on the Inspiration 2 times for the 4 day out of Long Beach. I dot not like the decor. I would like to know what Carnival ship is coming to the west coast and do you know what route they will be doing?

Lynn

The Legend will be sailing out of Seattle to Alaska again this year (2018.)

Tom

WOW! Thank you! I'll check it out. Not sure it can beat my love for Princess!

My favorite Ruby and Crown are going to Australia and Europe so I'm thinking of other options.

You wrote a great review and it is exactly what my daughter and I experienced last year on the Inspiration. Still prefer Princess but I will look at the Panorama. I like to compare whats out there. Thank you.

Lynn

The Ruby will be cruising to Alaska out of Seattle again this year (2018) until the end of September.

Tom

We started with Carnival and made it to Diamond.

When we decided we wanted to see the world we did a cruise on Princess and loved it.

We think it is a cut or two above with better service including crew bringing you drinks on Horizon and better service in the DR.

Dinners about the same.

Overall entertainment a little better on Princess since it still has production shows but Carnival does have comedy club which we miss on Princess.

When I first started cruising in the 90's, balconies were not an affordable option or not an option on most ships. I think Princess's Sun Class ships were the first to have affordable balconies. (Sun, Ocean, Sea and Dawn Princess). Even out of those, Princess only has the Sun Princess left. The balconies were small and cut from the hull (metal of the ship). Totally different from today.

The Sea Princess is still part of the Princess fleet. We cruise on her often. You are right, the balconies are small - 1.1 metres (43 inches) wide. After two steps, the third would be over the rail. :D We still enjoy going on the Sun and Sea P. Love the wrap-around promenade deck.

The Sea Princess is still part of the Princess fleet. We cruise on her often. You are right, the balconies are small - 1.1 metres (43 inches) wide. After two steps, the third would be over the rail. :D We still enjoy going on the Sun and Sea P. Love the wrap-around promenade deck.

Thanks for correcting me. I loved the Sea Princess - it was the ship I fell in love with cruising with! I couldn't remember which ships were still in Australia. I still love that ship and would sail on her again in a heart beat. I knew the Dawn left recently and the Ocean left awhile ago. I cruised quite a bit on the Sea, Sun and Dawn when they were in North America. Such good memories. At least all the balconies had covered decks :)

I've cruised both Princess' Grand Ships and the Carnival Inspiration. Here were my observations:

- food overall was comparable but Carnival had a sushi bar and a midnight buffet, something Princess does not.

Looks like your CCL voyage was in 2004. The midnight buffer has gone away on CCL between then and now.

We went on the Inspiration in January 2013 and gave it 2 stars under the heading Inspiration not Inspiring. Hopefully, this link works: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=113973

In short, it was a great cruise because we got 12 family members together. Nothing that Carnival did, however, helped. My review is necessarily short.

There are 18 balcony rooms, and we had one. We entertained there each night. The balcony rooms have a pole down the middle, but as it is structural you can't use it for dancing You will walk into it each night trying to go to the bathroom.

This is a booze cruise. If your idea of fun is drinking to excess and standing with 30 other people in a Jacuzzi, this is the cruise for you. If you like watching others without clothes engaging in adult behavior because it beats trying to find a seat at the comedy show, book now. If you want a staff that does not care, about anything, sign up now.

You can see from our signature that we've been of more than a few cruises. The Inspiration may have been worst overall.

As I recall, the ship feels old as much public space is higher up than modern ships.

As to size, while not important to you, my granddaughter's stroller (in which se slept) could not fit through cabin doors as it could on Princess.

I'll try to add to the discussion with some actual experience albeit not on the Inspiration.

Couple things to note. The Inspiration is a Fantasy Class ship, Carnival's oldest class. All of those vessels have been relegated either to secondary ports or short cruise duty. So the feel of that experience will be significantly different than if you were to take a 7 day cruise on one of the newer ships. Your trip will more than likely be more like 'long weekend in Vegas' whereas the typical 7 day experience is more 'week-long vacation from work'. It's important to understand the difference.

Like any experience, Carnival is what you make of it. In my mind, they do two things extremely well, the long weekender and the 7 day Caribbean vacation. That's their niche and for the most part they stick to it doing it more often every week from numerous ports than many cruise companies do in a month or more. We've found the food to be quite good, the clientele to be somewhat younger than us (we're in our 50s), the ships in great condition and the crew incredibly friendly albeit somewhat overworked these days. If you're looking for hoity toity, you won't find it. But we find it to be a fun experience with plenty going on including the people watching. Bottom line, you won't be bored. We thought it was particularly great when our kids were teens. Happy teenagers made for great family vacations.

All that said, we also enjoy small ship luxury and adventure experiences. Totally different. Totally different price point. And now that we're older and hoping to do more extended cruises, we look forward to our first Princess experience in a few weeks. Always knew Alaska via Princess was the way to go. I'll be interested in the ship vibe we get crossing over to CCLs sister company. Enjoy your Carnival cruise.

Edited by jsglow