First cruise in 6 years - what has changed?

So having not been on a cruise holiday since 2012, we're heading around the med on Symphony of the seas in September to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.

What differences will we notice since our last cruise? We've done this (similar) itinerary before on Voyager, and sailed around the Caribbean on Allure so there will be some degree of familiarity in terms of the ship & ports, but apart from that......

What's new?

What's better?

What's worse?

What's gone?

Basically, what do we need to know now that we didn't know then?

It will be our first experience of a drinks package & our first boardwalk balcony (always had oceanview balconies previously) so any tips for making the most of those will also be appreciated.

You are allowed to bring wine onboard. Gratuities charfged automatically. No smoking on balconies. OBC can be used pre-cruise. Room service charges for all but continental breakfast.

Six years is a long time! Welcome back. MDR dress is much more relaxed now...wear what you like. Food quality has continued to decline. Individual drink prices are a lot higher than when you last cruised. No more chocolates on your pillow at night. Many more cutbacks I am sure you will notice. But the ships are still great as is the service and that wonderful felling of being at sea is still there!

You are allowed to bring wine onboard. Gratuities charfged automatically. No smoking on balconies. OBC can be used pre-cruise. Room service charges for all but continental breakfast.

When did MTD come about? I had to think what cruise I did 6 years ago, and I don't think it had MTD then.

A couple of questions because it's been a while for me too. Grats are charged automatically? So is it worth it to pre-pay them or not really? Room service charges? More than just grat but actual prices? wowza!

I won't speak to food quality, but I will speak to food variety...

On SOS, you will have a lot of restaurant options... some free, many for a charge. In the MDR, there are fewer choices on the menu, and it sounds like now you order your dessert at the same time as when you order your other courses.

Oh, and now they also have drink packages... In general, if one adult in the room wants to purchase a drink package, all adults over 18 in the room have to purchase. Personally, I like the drink package. However, if you plan on spending most of your time in ports, then it might not be a good deal for you.

When did MTD come about? I had to think what cruise I did 6 years ago, and I don't think it had MTD then.

Good question Bill, I don't have a note about that. I'd say something like 6-8 years ago.

Pretty sure my first cruise on Oasis was around 6 years ago, and they had MTD then.

OP, just my opinion, but not enough has changed to get upset about. I have not seen a reduction in food quality, but then we spend most of our dinners in specialty restaurants so it's harder to judge. You have to check out pool towels now thanks to all the people stealing them. That's probably the most annoying change in that time span.

Pretty sure my first cruise on Oasis was around 6 years ago, and they had MTD then.

OP, just my opinion, but not enough has changed to get upset about. I have not seen a reduction in food quality, but then we spend most of our dinners in specialty restaurants so it's harder to judge. You have to check out pool towels now thanks to all the people stealing them. That's probably the most annoying change in that time span.

I think , but wouldn't testify that MTD took many months, or close to a year to get rolled out fleet wide on existing ships.

Good question Bill, I don't have a note about that. I'd say something like 6-8 years ago.

The first time we had it available was in August 2009 on Liberty. I don't know whether it was fleetwide at that point or not, but that is close to your 6-8 year estimate.

No.

$8

Yes.

The room service charge is a change from the last time I sailed RCI. Room service was free but I’d give a tip. Is the $8 fee part of the gratuity or are we still expected to tip in addition to the $8?

When did MTD get introduced?

Brilliance May 15, 2008! It was the first cruise with MTD on that ship.

I remember the outrage when RCI announced they were going to do this....”I’m never going to cruise with RCI ever again...” and 10 years later...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of questions because it's been a while for me too. Grats are charged automatically? So is it worth it to pre-pay them or not really? Room service charges? More than just grat but actual prices? wowza!

There is no difference except that it's one less thing to deal with.

When did MTD get introduced?

Brilliance May 15, 2008! It was the first cruise with MTD on that ship.

I remember the outrage when RCI announced they were going to do this....”I’m never going to cruise with RCI ever again...” and 10 years later...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just curious, but why the outrage when you can still get traditional dining?

Thank you for all the replies.

1) We had MTD on our first cruise on Voyager on 2009 when it was still a "new thing". We had some great dinners with a big mix of tablemates, but then on our Freedom cruise all the MTD tables were for 2 & there were no "social" dinners to be had.

2) Room service charge is a bit :( but I think we only ever ordered it a couple of times, so no biggie.

3) We got our drinks package "thrown in" as part of the booking, so while it hasn't actually cost us any extra, I'm sure we'll get our money's worth. Do you still have to sign for the drinks at $0 charge or just show your seapass card?

4) We've got some OBC which we're planning to spend on a couple of speciality restaurants. I've heard talk of a discounted dining package to eat at multiple restaurants but can't see anything on the cruise planner about it? Are they only available once you get on board?

5) Think we've pre-paid grats too, so that's one less thing to be added to the bill at the end of the week. Between that, the drinks package & the OBC we could end up with a $0 bill at the end!!! (yeah right!!)

6) Do most people skip the formal night dressing up these days? We've always done it previously but a new tux purchase would be required for this one, so don't want to bother getting him a new one if he's not going to wear it......

7) I seem to remember having to swipe a sea pass card for pool towels previously, but that may have been on Norwegian Epic & not a Royal Caribbean ship.......

Couple of other things I've noticed from a bit of CC research:

We're in a boardwalk balcony & I have seen talk of a comp Johnny Rockets lunch - is that just a US travel agent perk or does it apply across the board? Not a deal breaker either way, but offers an alternative for lunch one day I guess.

Wow bands - am assuming they're a "wearable" alternative to a seapass card? Do you get them issued as standard or have to request them? I'd much prefer this to a card as I never seem to have a lot of pockets available while walking around a ship!

Thanks for all your help - most kind!

Couple of other things I've noticed from a bit of CC research:

We're in a boardwalk balcony & I have seen talk of a comp Johnny Rockets lunch - is that just a US travel agent perk or does it apply across the board? Not a deal breaker either way, but offers an alternative for lunch one day I guess.

Thanks for all your help - most kind!

The Eat Drink Play promo is for all Broadwalk or CP Balcony view rooms - irrespective of where you booked or where you come from!

See you on board!

LB

... I seem to remember having to swipe a sea pass card for pool towels previously, but that may have been on Norwegian Epic & not a Royal Caribbean ship..... ...

We still have to swipe cards for towels on Royal.