Anyone else have trouble understanding.....

JGORD7

Does anyone else have trouble understanding what the Captain is saying over the sound system?? Last cruise was on RCCL & I couldn't for the life of me understand a single thing he was saying. Not very clear at all. Has it gotten any better? Just curious..

Depends upon where we are and the capt's accent.

Carnival's captain pretty much all have heavy Italian accents and very hard to understand no matter where we are on a ship.

When we are on lido at a busy time there will be a lot of background noise and no way will I understand him.

If in a corridor have a chance

We were on a carnival cruise a few years ago and the captain had a heavy Italian accent. Couldn’t understand half of what he was saying. But right after he spoke the cruise director came on and said, what he said was.....

Does anyone else have trouble understanding what the Captain is saying over the sound system?? Last cruise was on RCCL & I couldn't for the life of me understand a single thing he was saying. Not very clear at all. Has it gotten any better? Just curious..

RC Captains are mostly all from Norway sans a few that are Canadian and Swedish. I actually can understand them better than the Italian Captains on Carnival.

RC Captains are mostly all from Norway sans a few that are Canadian and Swedish. I actually can understand them better than the Italian Captains on Carnival.

So in other words I will not be understanding anything this trip either..LOL

Thanks for the inputs!

I'm not positive, but I think Carnival uses the same speaker system as the ones used at the Wendy's drive-thru.

Now this is the funniest darn thing I've seen all week. Thanks for the laugh!

Now we know for real where Carnival trains their captains. :D ;p

Now this is the funniest darn thing I've seen all week. Thanks for the laugh!

Now we know for real where Carnival trains their captains. :D ;p

Yep. At the end of each announcement, I'm waiting to hear "Do you want fries with that?":)

Whatsa matta you? No unnerstanda the Captain? Fuggedabouttit!

{Before I get flamed, I'm southern Italian Bronx born and grew up hearing the dialect.}

Sounds like you have an advantage over the rest of us. Lol. Carnival needs to hire you as an interpreter!

I'm not positive, but I think Carnival uses the same speaker system as the ones used at the Wendy's drive-thru.

Yep. At the end of each announcement, I'm waiting to hear "Do you want fries with that?":)

It might have been the late George Carlin that did a drive through restaurant bit where a guy orders a hamburger, fries and a soda and the person on the speaker repeats the order with a bunch of garbled gibberish and ended with "... and a six pack."

On our last cruise on Conquest, I could not understand more than every 10th word over the PA during the emergency drill on the first day. Part of it was the poor PA system, part of the the captain's accent and part the guest's constant chatter as we were packed like canned sardines on the open deck.

LOL, I am accustomed to the Italian accent, so have no problem there, but find that the volume is often not high enough...or Captain is not talking directly into the microphone. By contrast, the announcements by the Cruise Director, are usually very loud, and no problem hearing those. Not sure if they are made from the same place or not. Nothing against CD's but I am not usually interested in their announcements, yet love to hear from the Captain about where we are currently sailing by, etc. And I love love love.....the Italian accent;)

OK so this made me think... anyone else as worried as me about the quality of the sound systems on airplanes? Just like ships, they spend millions on the equipment, then the pilot makes an announcement and all I hear is 'mwffffgh trgggg nnnnrrgwerd...' Makes me wonder if we can REALLY trust all that technology!

And the same goes for cruiseships! The only difference is, most of the time you don't have to worry about the boat falling out of the sky if the technology fails! It'll just bob along for a while!

LOL, I am accustomed to the Italian accent, so have no problem there, but find that the volume is often not high enough...or Captain is not talking directly into the microphone. By contrast, the announcements by the Cruise Director, are usually very loud, and no problem hearing those. Not sure if they are made from the same place or not. Nothing against CD's but I am not usually interested in their announcements, yet love to hear from the Captain about where we are currently sailing by, etc. And I love love love.....the Italian accent;)
The cd is used to talking with a mic in one hand and usually have some kind of public speaking skills. The captain most likely has none of these skills

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

The cd is used to talking with a mic in one hand and usually have some kind of public speaking skills. The captain most likely has none of these skills

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

Funny thing, I'm watching a movie right now with one of favorite actors, and just realized a few minutes ago that he doesn't open his mouth much at all when he talks. I'm getting hard of hearing (especially one ear), and increasingly my favorite screen personalities are those who also have Broadway experience... where you have to learn to open your mouth and enunciate your lines. I've done stage myself, plus 20 years in the military, and even with my quiet conversational voice I know how to make myself heard. These cruise ship "public speakers" should actually learn a few things about public speaking.

I have considerable experience overseas, including two months in Italy, and I still can't get more than 10% of what most of a ship's announcers ever say. Even some Brits and Americans. The other part of that is cheap PA, which is notoriously low-fi. But the more cheap-tinny the speakers are, the more unintelligible the announcements are.

Rant over. Cruise on! :D