Can I apply for Shareholder OBC via email?

TomTN

Yes, you can email your request. Just ask for a response email back for confirmation.

Have you actually been able to do this? We call every time, asking if we can email, and have been told, each time: No, it must be faxed.

Yes, I emailed my request for my upcoming June Maasdam cruise and received confirmation back within a few hours. They also applied credit to my December Zuiderdam cruise too, even though I hadn't requested it.

I did not call first and inquiry if it had to be faxed, I just gave the email method a whirl.

They ask you to fax or snail mail so I just do as they ask.

Fax works great. I give them my email and fax the documents and get a reply within the hour confirming my obc.

I had to call once when the OBC dropped off. Very pleasant gentleman checked and saw it was a glitch when a reservation had been amended and put it right back with apologies.

They are a great department IMO.

I have always emailed my shareholder statement to my HAL PCC and she takes care of it. I usually receive an updated booking document the same day that reflects the OBC acceptance.

I do the same - no problem at all.

Is there somewhere online to verify it has been applied? I faxed my documents a week ago this past Friday and have received no confirmation that it has been applied. I hate to waste time calling if I can just see it somewhere in my account.

Yes, I emailed my request for my upcoming June Maasdam cruise and received confirmation back within a few hours. They also applied credit to my December Zuiderdam cruise too, even though I hadn't requested it.

I did not call first and inquiry if it had to be faxed, I just gave the email method a whirl.

Good to hear! Will try your method for our next cruise.

Is there somewhere online to verify it has been applied? I faxed my documents a week ago this past Friday and have received no confirmation that it has been applied. I hate to waste time calling if I can just see it somewhere in my account.

I always fax my request with a cover letter giving the details and asking for email confirmation to the email address I give within the cover letter. Always receive email confirmation back within the hour - I always send first thing in the AM Pacific time.

WOW!

I followed HAL's directions, and sent a fax. The fax went out at 3:36 CDT, and I received a confirmation from HAL at 3:47 CDT.

The $250 OBC will come in handy.

Thanks for the replies.

What email address is everyone using to email their shareholder request? TIA.

I used world_cruise_reservations@hollandamerica.com when I had to contact them to have my shareholder benefit put back on my reservation after it dropped off when my TA made a change. I agree that they're very pleasant to deal with.

I don’t know how you made your reservations. I made mine through a big box store and looked online at my reservation. In my case, the amount of OBC had gone up by $250.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t know how you made your reservations. I made mine through a big box store and looked online at my reservation. In my case, the amount of OBC had gone up by $250.

When I said I looked online, I meant online at my TA’s site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is this shareholder OBC credit you are all discussing?

If you own 100 shares of CCL stock you get between $50 and $250 in OBC depending on the length of the cruise. It’s the best deal on the planet. We paid $3,500 for our 100 shares and have received over $4,000 in OBC plus the stock has appreciated over $3,000 in value.

I have always emailed my shareholder statement to my HAL PCC and she takes care of it. I usually receive an updated booking document the same day that reflects the OBC acceptance.

We are new to HAL, and recently did the same. Our PCC forwarded our request to the appropriate folks (by email), and we had our OBC applied within the hour.

I'm sorry, but fax machines are very 20th Century, and, in any event, lots of folks don't own one.

I asked HAL the reason for the "no email" rule, and was told it was to protect our confidential information. Yet HAL has no problems emailing out cruise confirmations with all the confidential info on those, and the other cruise lines in which we own stock use email to handle requests for shareholder benefits. And faxes are hardly a confidential form of communication.

We are new to HAL, and recently did the same. Our PCC forwarded our request to the appropriate folks (by email), and we had our OBC applied within the hour.

I'm sorry, but fax machines are very 20th Century, and, in any event, lots of folks don't own one.

I asked HAL the reason for the "no email" rule, and was told it was to protect our confidential information. Yet HAL has no problems emailing out cruise confirmations with all the confidential info on those, and the other cruise lines in which we own stock use email to handle requests for shareholder benefits. And faxes are hardly a confidential form of communication.

The prohibition against using email for requesting stockholder benefit came originally from Carnival Corp. It came as a response to the very real idea that the pdf format could infect a computer with a virus. A google search found this:

Can a PDF carry a virus?

A really dangerous idea has escaped into the wild: Acrobat PDF files can be used as viruses: Jeremy of sudosecure.net has demonstrated a proof of concept of a PDF virus: a malicious PDF containing an embedded executable which modifies other PDFs to include malicious code. ... This attack is, in fact, a classic virus.Apr 7, 2010

Unfortunately, many people want to give an answer, even if they don't know the correct one. So they come up with something that "sounds good". Another person hears it and thinks it is correct and repeats it.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

attributed to Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain and others

I have done this both ways:

1. Emailed a copy of my information to my HAL agent (PCC).

2. Faxed a copy of the information directly to HAL as per the instructions provided.

Either way, I later ask my PCC to send me an updated copy of my reservation, which sort of shows it. It is combined with all my other OBC (so you should know how much you have to start with). It sort of stands out, as only one person on the reservation gets the credit. When I see that I have $450 in OBC and my DW only has $200, I know that we got the $250 in stockholder credit.

I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Yes, you can email your request. Just ask for a response email back for confirmation.

I just did this today and although they accepted it it was with a request NOT to email it. Moving forward, per the Carnival Shareholder Benefit policy, the proof of CCL stock ownership must be sent via fax to 206-270-6080 or sent by regular mail to 450 Third Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119.