Musings on Mariner - A slow boat from China

Mariner in Aqabc43f730c5c47347cdefa89f6f1544b26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The keffiyeh suits you :cool:

Be careful of being accused of "Cultural Appropriation":eek:which seems the latest crazy trend in the media.I think Sting is the latest victim

Edited by Redrobo

The keffiyeh suits you :cool:

Be careful of being accused of "Cultural Appropriation":eek:which seems the latest crazy trend in the media.I think Sting is the latest victim

I thought it was Sheikh John.

Great disguise.

When we were in Muscat on Vision there was lots of men walking around the ship on White night dressed like John.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Love the photos of the luncheon -- what a nice idea for the ship to do! :)

I hope Immigration finally allowed you off the ship. I've been reading other threads where passengers had delays with Immigration in several countries. I hope it's not a trend.:(

John,

This looks like an amazing journey. Thanks for taking the time to share. The al fresco lunch was kind of nice.

... and I agree with Karen (travelgoddess1) that aft view takes the cake for me!

I'm unapologetic about being an aft cabin "snob." My next 3 Panama Canal cruises are all in an aft cabin.:cool:

What was the name of the bridge (or what city) in the photo just above?

I was thinking the same thing. You could have told me that was the Sunshine Skyway bridge out of Tampa...and I would have believed you. :confused:

Really nice touch with the luncheon.

I was thinking the same thing. You could have told me that was the Sunshine Skyway bridge out of Tampa...and I would have believed you. :confused:

Really nice touch with the luncheon.

Google research leads me to believe it is the Al Salam Bridge. According to Wikipedia it was built over the Suez as a joint venture between Japan and Egypt. Opened in October 2001.

Video:

Google research leads me to believe it is the Al Salam Bridge. According to Wikipedia it was built over the Suez as a joint venture between Japan and Egypt. Opened in October 2001.

Video:

Thank-you.

What was the name of the bridge (or what city) in the photo just above?
Al Salam bridge. We didn't get a good view of the swing bridge at El Ferdan

Al Salam bridge. We didn't get a good view of the swing bridge at El Ferdan

I imagine that bridge must have a pretty large air draft. I wonder if it would accommodate Oasis class.

I imagine that bridge must have a pretty large air draft. I wonder if it would accommodate Oasis class.

If you are to believe Wikipedia and several other Google search links the Al Salam clearance is 230 feet. By comparison the Verrazano Narrows is 228 and Golden Gate is 220. We have some friends who just sailed out of San Fran and they said it was kinda cool sailing out under the Golden Gate.

If you are to believe Wikipedia and several other Google search links the Al Salam clearance is 230 feet. By comparison the Verrazano Narrows is 228 and Golden Gate is 220. We have some friends who just sailed out of San Fran and they said it was kinda cool sailing out under the Golden Gate.

We've also passed under the Golden Gate, once on Mariner and once on Explorer. I was surprised at how close the stacks seemed to the bottom of the bridge

Eagerly awaiting your musings on Old Jerusalem.

Sorry about the immigration delays ["authorities" are not used to cruise ships visiting:D] and the very unusual hot day. Hopefully, it will not impact your experience.

The ride to Jerusalem was enjoyable. Left about an hour late, but I think we stayed longer. Israel is not what I expected. Very green and very hilly. People seemed very friendly, and so many different cultures.

And what's up with all the flags. I've never seen so many flags outside of an SEC Football tailgater.

I was very moved by the Western Wall. Said a prayer for Laura's parents. But after that, the crowds were just to much. I'm glad I'm tall.

All in all I had a great time, learned a few things, and want to come back.

Shalom y'all.

Oh, and I have no idea what this represents.

Obviously in the new section. 480cb8c8726a293b3d73b241de08caf5.jpgd0e7b3395c436185e4d6b240bb895604.jpg

I've been reading other threads where passengers had delays with Immigration in several countries. :(

I got my passport back on the ship (Navigator) disembarking in Lisbon yesterday before anyone even was allowed off the ship.

If the figures I have are correct, the allowed air draft for the Peace Bridge (Al Salam) is 223'. Air draft for the Oasis is 236' without the stacks retracted. I know we have some discussions if this is still possible

So glad you've enjoyed it.

The ride to Jerusalem was enjoyable. Left about an hour late, but I think we stayed longer. Israel is not what I expected. Very green and very hilly. People seemed very friendly, and so many different cultures.

And what's up with all the flags. I've never seen so many flags outside of an SEC Football tailgater. We had our Independence Day two weeks ago, I imagine the "authorities" didn't have enough manpower to remove them.

I was very moved by the Western Wall. Said a prayer for Laura's parents. But after that, the crowds were just to much. I'm glad I'm tall.

All in all I had a great time, learned a few things, and want to come back. Welcome, you have my email.

Shalom y'all.

Oh, and I have no idea what this represents. The new section indeed - its called "The monster" -- an amusement park for kids, think "Abyss water slides" on a smallish scale....

Obviously in the new section.

Let's see if I can post pictures this morning.

be3ca22bddeedb5332b095bd6234afd8.jpg

Success. This was actually yesterday morning leaving Ashdod Terminal

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1