Diamond lounge, Don't be so cheap.

Charlie's in OBT? There used to be one on route 192 irlo bronson. Used to go there 20 years ago but haven't been back since early 2000. Last time we ate at Charlie's they had butcher paper instead of tablecloths and the steak was ok. That was the last time there and i believe it was the one on I drive. Was not impressed and haven't been back.

I like the ribeye at Shula's at Swan and Dolphin resort. Also Le Cellier in epcot has a good ribeye. Did not care for Yachtsman Steakhouse or Victoria and Albert's at Disneyworld. For the price I would rather go to Ruth Chris.

Funny thing is I like Texas roadhouse steaks. Great quality for price.

Will have to give Berns in Tampa a try. Although this june we are not going to Bushgardens so will have to be our next trip in october.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OBT - Orange Blossom Trail

Charlie’s OBT is closed.

I agree, International Drive location is just not the same.

We will try Shula’s. Wasn’t aware there was one in Orlando. We have eaten there in Sunrise and Baltimore.

Berns is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd like to get back to the tipping in DL and CL. Before anyone jumps to conclusions when reading the post, I tip appropriately at the end of the cruise depending on the service regardless of where the person works, (like others have mentioned, I do not carry cash or wallet on a ship).

Do the people who tip by the drink also tip the waiters after each course to ensure the rest of the meal is brought to them in a timely and friendly manner? Do you tip the cabin steward by the day in case they change mid cruise?

The waiters who work in the DL and CL also work in other bars during the hours not in the lounges. Would it be fair that they get a slice of the pre paid gratuities from people who had bought the DP and then get additional tips for those 3 hours?

In the CL there are 2 different types of guests. There are those in suites and those who are DL+ and above. The suite guests pay a lot more daily gratuities, (whether pre-paid or the 'recommended' daily rate), which covers gratuities for the CL staff. Should the suite guests be guilt tripped into tipping again?

My experience is that, even though I do not tip by the drink/day, I still get the same experience as others with staff coming to us with our preferred drinks as soon as we sit down. If you think you get that service because of your $1 then I believe you are seriously mistaken. It's because that member of staff is going beyond the normal to give every person that extra special experience. Accordingly, these staff get a bigger 'bonus' at the end of the cruise, even if I need to hunt them down on the last day, which has never been a problem. (So I might have been one of those some of you have noticed that does not tip by the drink, but in reality you have not got a clue how much I do or do not tip, or tip at all, so why jump to conclusions?)

Finally, tipping should be a personal reward for a service received. The moment it becomes an expectation its no longer a tip. Let me leave you with a final thought, a bit of a paradox - if you tip by the glass will your service get better or actually drop as the waiter knows what they are getting, or will they work harder for you if you tip at the end so that they ensure that they do get a good tip at the end?

The drinks are free to us in the DL and CL with no service charge added.

I feel when i am getting free drinks the least i can do is give the server at least $1 a drink tip.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

OBT - Orange Blossom Trail

Charlie’s OBT is closed.

I agree, International Drive location is just not the same.

We will try Shula’s. Wasn’t aware there was one in Orlando. We have eaten there in Sunrise and Baltimore.

Berns is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering what OBT was but i remember now,i think

Its the 441 but remember it joins the irlo Bronson highway 192 in Kissimmee.

I'd like to get back to the tipping in DL and CL. Before anyone jumps to conclusions when reading the post, I tip appropriately at the end of the cruise depending on the service regardless of where the person works, (like others have mentioned, I do not carry cash or wallet on a ship).

Do the people who tip by the drink also tip the waiters after each course to ensure the rest of the meal is brought to them in a timely and friendly manner? Do you tip the cabin steward by the day in case they change mid cruise?

No. If I tip extra I do it at the end of the cruise. Never had my cabin steward or dining room staff (traditional dining) change mid way through a cruise.

The waiters who work in the DL and CL also work in other bars during the hours not in the lounges. Would it be fair that they get a slice of the pre paid gratuities from people who had bought the DP and then get additional tips for those 3 hours?

The drinks in the DL and CL are not part of the packages. They are "free" - realize paid for by booking numerous cruises or a suite, but I am still not paying in the usual sense.

In the CL there are 2 different types of guests. There are those in suites and those who are DL+ and above. The suite guests pay a lot more daily gratuities, (whether pre-paid or the 'recommended' daily rate), which covers gratuities for the CL staff. Should the suite guests be guilt tripped into tipping again?

Guests in suites don't pay that much more in daily gratuities! Bigger space and more rooms to clean. Never thought of those gratuities as covering CL. When in CL i tip servers just the same as DL.

My experience is that, even though I do not tip by the drink/day, I still get the same experience as others with staff coming to us with our preferred drinks as soon as we sit down. If you think you get that service because of your $1 then I believe you are seriously mistaken. It's because that member of staff is going beyond the normal to give every person that extra special experience. Accordingly, these staff get a bigger 'bonus' at the end of the cruise, even if I need to hunt them down on the last day, which has never been a problem. (So I might have been one of those some of you have noticed that does not tip by the drink, but in reality you have not got a clue how much I do or do not tip, or tip at all, so why jump to conclusions?)

Not one who jumps to conclusions. I used to do the same thing, but found staff changed more and often couldn't find. I find this especially true on mega ships.

Finally, tipping should be a personal reward for a service received. The moment it becomes an expectation its no longer a tip. Let me leave you with a final thought, a bit of a paradox - if you tip by the glass will your service get better or actually drop as the waiter knows what they are getting, or will they work harder for you if you tip at the end so that they ensure that they do get a good tip at the end?

I now tip nightly, not because I expect any better service, but to say thank you. I do this in DL, CL, or if using drink vouchers. If I feel steward/dining staff have gone above and beyond, I tip at the end of the cruise, after paying standard gratuities.

Before you ask, I don't consider cabin steward getting ice, extra towels to be above and beyond. A few cruises back I asked cabin steward if there was any chance of getting me a needle and thread - noticed a very loose button. He said not to worry - took the shirt and brought it back with button neatly sewn - that's above and beyond!

I now tip nightly, not because I expect any better service, but to say thank you. I do this in DL, CL, or if using drink vouchers. If I feel steward/dining staff have gone above and beyond, I tip at the end of the cruise, after paying standard gratuities.

Before you ask, I don't consider cabin steward getting ice, extra towels to be above and beyond. A few cruises back I asked cabin steward if there was any chance of getting me a needle and thread - noticed a very loose button. He said not to worry - took the shirt and brought it back with button neatly sewn - that's above and beyond!

Great answer and totalling agree.All our drinks are free in the DL and CL and i feel giving $1 a drink is the right thing to do.

On one cruise when we brought Paulines mam with her wheelchair one of the tyres was flat and the cabin steward took the wheelchair away for a short period of time and came back with the tyres blown up perfectly.

On another cruise the cabin steward got us a kettle and a hot water bottle because Pauline's mam needed heat on her back as she has a crushed vertebrae in her spine.

And then there's us. Pinnacle member staying in a GS. I tip daily because I want to.

The staff I interact with seem to appreciate it.

Tonight I had a waitress that I do not recall meeting ask me if I would like a Beringer for my wife. Now that's service worth tipping

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And then there's us. Pinnacle member staying in a GS. I tip daily because I want to.

The staff I interact with seem to appreciate it.

Tonight I had a waitress that I do not recall meeting ask me if I would like a Beringer for my wife. Now that's service worth tipping

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree with you.

I tip because i want to do the right thing towards the marvelous crew who do their best to make our cruises special.

I think that all of the employees on the Cruise Ship are underpaid so my husband and I ALWAYS tip everyone one $1 in cash (then our staff member actually gets the money). We tip the bathroom attendants (who are always shocked to get a tip) everyone that we order drinks from, even in the Diamond Lounge and Concierge Lounge. Of course, we tip over and above the prepaid gratuities for our Room Steward and Wait Staff. We do not do this to show off.. we do it because these people work their tails off for us for way less pay then we would accept for the same job; they make our cruise so wonderful and they deserve any extra money that we can afford to give them.

Agree with posts on this page! I'd add that we tip especially in the DL and CL because no service charge is added to the bill because there is no bill. It would be, in our opinion, wrong for those servers to be simply donating their service when they are in the DL and CL.

I think that all of the employees on the Cruise Ship are underpaid so my husband and I ALWAYS tip everyone one $1 in cash (then our staff member actually gets the money). We tip the bathroom attendants (who are always shocked to get a tip) everyone that we order drinks from, even in the Diamond Lounge and Concierge Lounge. Of course, we tip over and above the prepaid gratuities for our Room Steward and Wait Staff. We do not do this to show off.. we do it because these people work their tails off for us for way less pay then we would accept for the same job; they make our cruise so wonderful and they deserve any extra money that we can afford to give them.
We feel the same and do the same as you do.

Agree with posts on this page! I'd add that we tip especially in the DL and CL because no service charge is added to the bill because there is no bill. It would be, in our opinion, wrong for those servers to be simply donating their service when they are in the DL and CL.

those servers are some of the top servers on the ship. Working the DL and CL is a sign of prestige. They don’t just work 3-1/2 hours a day in the lounge. Tthey are part of the you already paid it tip process. I have no problem with them being tipped in the DL, but if they are there they are probably doing pretty good by the standards of cruise ship servers.

The constant self-declarations of super generosity are kind of sickening. If you have to say you are super awesome, over and over again.... kind of makes me think you aren’t. :evilsmile:

JC

those servers are some of the top servers on the ship. Working the DL and CL is a sign of prestige. They don’t just work 3-1/2 hours a day in the lounge. Tthey are part of the you already paid it tip process. I have no problem with them being tipped in the DL, but if they are there they are probably doing pretty good by the standards of cruise ship servers.

The constant self-declarations of super generosity are kind of sickening. If you have to say you are super awesome, over and over again.... kind of makes me think you aren’t. :evilsmile:

JC

I agree it is a status for the servers.

Personally because the drinks are totally free and i don't like taking and giving nothing back so that is my motivation why i give $1 a drink tip to the DL/CL servers plus if we use the Diamond vouchers in any bar i also give $1 a drink tip.

I feel you have twisted what I and a few others have said so you can make ridiculous statements about what we may or may not do. I will speak only for myself even though I have no reason to have to justify your foolish response. I am one of those who tip $1 per drink. I do it because there are several different waiters in the Diamond Lounge and I do want the one(s) who serve me to be tipped. I don't do it to get better service or expect that the second I walk in the door the waiter will bring me a drink. Additionally, I don't go to the lounge every night, so I feel that the nights I do go there, I WANT TO tip the wait staff.

As far as the idiotic question about tipping the waiters after each course, it just goes to show how far fetched some people will go to make a point, foolish as it may be. You don't need to try to justify to me that you seem on the cheap side and feel that only your opinion is the right one.

You tip your way and I will tip mine and I will have a great cruise knowing I did what I felt was the correct thing for me.

I feel you have twisted what I and a few others have said so you can make ridiculous statements about what we may or may not do. I will speak only for myself even though I have no reason to have to justify your foolish response. I am one of those who tip $1 per drink. I do it because there are several different waiters in the Diamond Lounge and I do want the one(s) who serve me to be tipped. I don't do it to get better service or expect that the second I walk in the door the waiter will bring me a drink. Additionally, I don't go to the lounge every night, so I feel that the nights I do go there, I WANT TO tip the wait staff.

As far as the idiotic question about tipping the waiters after each course, it just goes to show how far fetched some people will go to make a point, foolish as it may be. You don't need to try to justify to me that you seem on the cheap side and feel that only your opinion is the right one.

You tip your way and I will tip mine and I will have a great cruise knowing I did what I felt was the correct thing for me.

I agree totally with you.

His post is stupid and like a few on here he is a wind up merchant.

I think this is the key point for the whole thread. When people judge others (without really knowing what they are doing - or whether they are being cheap or generous) is when the trouble starts.

I think the first post (and especially the title) definitely set that tone.....

I think this is the key point for the whole thread. When people judge others (without really knowing what they are doing - or whether they are being cheap or generous) is when the trouble starts.

I think the first post (and especially the title) definitely set that tone.....

I agree, people tend to make judgements on some threads without knowing individual circumstances

That would be very kind of you.

If we were ever fortunate to meet yourself and Bucky please let us take you to Giovanni's or similar in return for the $2 bills.

Sweet and a kind offer, but they will be a gift with no strings attached. :cool: We hope to cruise with you in the future. :)

Sweet and a kind offer, but they will be a gift with no strings attached. :cool: We hope to cruise with you in the future. :)
Thank you.

At the moment we are restricted to short breaks because of Paulines mams health at 96 with late stage dementia but sometime in the future we want to come back to Orlando and do a cruise on Mariner as well and hopefully we might meet in the DL/CL.

Best Regards.

Graham.

Boones strawberryhill?m

Yup, and of course the other "high grade" wine from Boonesfarm called "Green Apple". Yummss!! ;p;p:o But hey..in our late teens...we thought it was sooo delicious. ;)

To get back to the DL thread,which ship has the best DL and concierge?

For us, we liked the DL on Freedom more than the CL (which is too small, dark, and closed in with no windows). The concierge kept changing in the DL, and of course is probably different again. We have not been on board since Freedom was in PC. Though really adored Rahual in the CL, as we went into the smaller CL for an after dinner drink when it was not so busy. Had some wonderful conversations with him. :)

Edited by island lady

Thank you.

At the moment we are restricted to short breaks because of Paulines mams health at 96 with late stage dementia but sometime in the future we want to come back to Orlando and do a cruise on Mariner as well and hopefully we might meet in the DL/CL.

Best Regards.

Graham.

That would be wonderful. And all the best with Pauline's Mam. That must be a treasure to have her still at 96. My Mom passed at 79, also with dementia. We will love them always in our hearts.