TA vs RCCL

Just wondering if anyone ever switch over from RCCL to a TA

Will not saw who or where..... but I was just offered a good deal.

Same price for my cruise and the OBC along with these perks

$250 free taxes

4 Johnny Rockets meal

one free soda package

spa credit

more on board credits.. and more but will lead to TA

Would you go for it??

We almost always use a TA, and we do so for the perks. Depending on the cruise they can really add up.

You do give up a little flexibility as you can only deal with your TA which may not have 24*7 support, but, for us it's a risk worth taking.

I don't know why everyone is hung up on cancellation fees. If it's a cruise you really want to take, the chance of cancellation is probably slim. I've booked 44 cruises through several online agencies, and probably gained well over $10,000 in perks that I wouldn't have received from the cruise line, and cancelled 0. If the time comes when I have to cancel one and pay the fee, I'm still way ahead of the game.

Totally agree.

Booked a cruise and decided this other line had a better deal.. Cancel but they applied it to my Bermuda one..

I don't know why everyone is hung up on cancellation fees. If it's a cruise you really want to take, the chance of cancellation is probably slim. I've booked 44 cruises through several online agencies, and probably gained well over $10,000 in perks that I wouldn't have received from the cruise line, and cancelled 0. If the time comes when I have to cancel one and pay the fee, I'm still way ahead of the game.

Because some cruisers may not realize that there are some TAs that have cancellation fees and its good to know. We've never booked any of our cruises with plans of cancelling either. We always book all our cruises with nonrefundable deposits. We book all our cruises with TAs that don't have cancellation fees. I'm sure there are more than a few that book early and change their minds for whatever reasons later on and have to cancel and don't want to pay a fee.

Edited by davekathy

Just wondering if anyone ever switch over from RCCL to a TA

Will not saw who or where..... but I was just offered a good deal.

Same price for my cruise and the OBC along with these perks

$250 free taxes

4 Johnny Rockets meal

one free soda package

spa credit

more on board credits.. and more but will lead to TA

Would you go for it??

We have booked with Royal several times to pick up a perk they are offering. We have then switched to a online TA every time. $500.00 in perks your picking up is what we expect from the online TA we use, We have never picked up the free taxes but usually have pre paid grats kicked in.

Well I switched over... as "Bob" stated it has to be within so many days..

The "TA" said most of her clients books directly with the cruise line and then switch it over esp. if there are OBC's.

Just wish the other line was as easy...

Cathy

I used a TA and got an amazing amount of extras. Will continue to do so. If you have trip insurance and have to cancel would that pay the cancellation fee of the TA?

It should if you cancel for a cancelable reason. If you simply change your mind, then no. But if you get an illness that prevents you from going on the cruise then it should. You'd have to ask the insurance company.

I would avoid any TA that charges a cancellation fee. If for some reason you had to cancel, it's a double whammy with the TA and the cruise line.

You can book with whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

I book with them because of the deals I get. As far as the cancellation fee, I never worked for free and I wouldn’t expect them to either. A $100 on a $6000 cruise, with a chance to get $600+ in perks is chump change.

You can book with whoever you want for whatever reason you want.

I book with them because of the deals I get. As far as the cancellation fee, I never worked for free and I wouldn’t expect them to either. A $100 on a $6000 cruise, with a chance to get $600+ in perks is chump change.

If you shop around, you can get the same deal from a TA without the cancellation fee, and even better customer service.

If you shop around, you can get the same deal from a TA without the cancellation fee, and even better customer service.

Hi Mike!

I just made my first RCI reservation in many years. Since early this week I have changed my room three times, and I am now in 9260 btb, 9 Feb-25 Feb, Feb 25-Mar 14, 2020, Radiance of the Seas. I booked directly with RCI and their phone reps are 24/7. I am guessing I ultimately ended up in this room because holds fell off. Both changes were made between 6am-7:30am. I originally started in 7176, btb, changed to 9258, 9260, and now 9260 both legs. All that to say, if I booked with a TA I am not sure I would have been able to make the change quickly as the hold feature does not seem to be working. I think I am settled with the room unless a JS comes open later at a reasonable price(highly unlikely). Now, I will be watching for price drops. ALL this to say, I would like to receive some perks from a TA but not sure I would be able to reach them in a timely manner for any changes. Thoughts(specifically to your TA)? THANK YOU.

We use one of the big TA's and while I would say they are generally very responsive during the work week, they have no coverage over the weekend. It's a risk I accept. On our most recent booking, two weeks of cruising, we got around a grand in perks. That adds up pretty quickly.

Still, there are those who have different needs that are more appropriately met by Royal. It's nice to have a choice.

Its not the cancellation fee itself. Like many have said, you get additional perks on top of your RC perks when you book with a TA. These fees are on top of any fees you may incur with RC. Sure, no one wants to cancel, but to get hit with the RC fee and then the TA fee on top of that, leaves a bad taste in your mouth that's already there because you have to cancel your cruise. When a TA gives you perks and no cancellation fee, that's an additional perk so to speak.

Quick question as this is only the second time I use a TA instead of booking direct, can I manage my cruise planner through RCCL and purchase precruise directly (dining, excursions, beverage pkg.) or do I have to go through TA?

All the planner options are available the same regardless of how you booked.

I just booked for the first time in many many years with a TA. Bad past experience. The cancellation fee has aways been a concern for me if booking way in advance due to work schedule and unexpected issues in life. I just booked with big box club TA for the first time. The cruise is over a year out and what persuaded me to book even with the cancellation fee was the $325 OBC they were offering along with no deposit down. I have an 85 yr old mother who's health is failing so I will be purchasing trip insurance sometime before final payment which will cover the cancellation fee. The agent seemed to know her stuff and was able to answer all of my questions correctly. She even told me to watch for a drink package discount that is sometimes offered around the holidays and there was no additional charge for making changes to the booking. So fingers crossed that I have a better experience this time around.