Lost passport help

victory2020

It's always disheartening when someone comes to CC with knickers in knots, often due to self-imposed doofusism ... people here offer helpful tips and info ... and an OP does not repay those kindnesses with sn update, or even a Thank You.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Let's give them the benefit of waiting. Coming back on here with all that they went through after I'm sure a long night of no sleep would have been the last thing on my mind. Especially if it didn't turn out well.

The OP posted this to other cruise lines. Perhaps he/she responded to one of those posts? Hope all turned out ok for them too. I got some great info here just in case! Also, I will put my passport away immediately! Good lesson learned!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP posted this to other cruise lines. Perhaps he/she responded to one of those posts? Hope all turned out ok for them too. I got some great info here just in case! Also, I will put my passport away immediately! Good lesson learned!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah this was posted on Princess and NCL now moved here....strange

When we fly (which is often) the only thing I ever have out of my bookbag is my battery pack to keep my cell phone going to watch movies. Everything else stays in my bag. No reason to take anything else out. I sure hope the OP got things squared away. Perhaps the lack of return is a good sign.

The official answer from someone who works in the Miami passport office is "yes, it's possible to walk into the Miami passport office and get the same day passport. Whether they lost/forgot it or just figured out they don't have enough time left on it. "

Hopefully that means the poster made it in there today and to the port on time!!

I used to work next to the Los Angeles passport office. People came in every day with emergencies. When the line got long, there was overflow to our office, including some angry people who were frustrated that we could not help them. By the end of the day, the line would be managed.

It's now Tuesday morning - I wonder if the OP was able to get a replacement passport in time?

This thread is every traveller's worst nightmare!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The official answer from someone who works in the Miami passport office is "yes, it's possible to walk into the Miami passport office and get the same day passport. Whether they lost/forgot it or just figured out they don't have enough time left on it. "

Hopefully that means the poster made it in there today and to the port on time!!

Wow that is great information. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hopen one of us NEED it could be reasuring thing to keep in mind.

Is it true for all U.S. passport offices located in various cities or is it particular to Miami ?

In the other thread that the OP started, he said "I only have $150 American and $300 Canadian, what about payment".

I wondered when I saw that... would a US passport office be what the OP needs?

I can understand having US $, but Canadian? Twice as much as the US $??

In the other thread that the OP started, he said "I only have $150 American and $300 Canadian, what about payment".

I wondered when I saw that... would a US passport office be what the OP needs?

I can understand having US $, but Canadian? Twice as much as the US $??

The OP’s going to Cuba, and it’s financially advantageous to change Canadian dollars into Cuban currency, instead of US dollars. There is a surcharge for changing US dollars. So that’s probably why they have more Canadian money than US money with them.

The OP’s going to Cuba, and it’s financially advantageous to change Canadian dollars into Cuban currency, instead of US dollars. There is a surcharge for changing US dollars. So that’s probably why they have more Canadian money than US money with them.

That explains it. I wondered about the different types of cash.

If I ever go to Cuba (doubtful), I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks

FWIW' date=' the airlines never let you have stuff that you left on the plane. My friend left her cell phone in the seat pocket and realized it within minutes of leaving the plane. She obviously knew the seat number. They wouldn't let her back on the plane to look and they claimed that they looked and couldn't find it. Told her to check with lost and found......[/quote']

1) Rules don't allow you back on the plane.

2) If the airline has it, they will give it back. But realize the cleaning crew does not work for the airline, normally contract with the airport. And close to minimum wage. What do you think THEY do when they find something??????

Also if you are flying to or from another country you may need to fill out customs forms and stuff (sometimes using your passport) and could easily put the passport in the seat pocket and forget it.

I NEVER put my passport in the seat pocket. I put it back in my bag or in my shirt pocket.

And I always OPEN the seat pocket and look and feel for anything I may have left in there.

Also if you are flying to or from another country you may need to fill out customs forms and stuff (sometimes using your passport) and could easily put the passport in the seat pocket and forget it.

I cannot imagine "easily" putting the passport in the seat pocket and forgetting it. When traveling, being aware of my passport probably comes before being aware of my wallet.

...2) If the airline has it, they will give it back. But realize the cleaning crew does not work for the airline, normally contract with the airport. And close to minimum wage. What do you think THEY do when they find something??????

I think that most of them turn in the items to the supervisor or following whatever protocol the company has.

The majority of people are honest and it is insulting to suggest that people one has never met are thieves just because they work on a cleaning crew.

wrt showing up at the Miami office needing a last minute replacement

others have mention this has been done, but circumstances were different?

show up at the office with an expired PP but in the window for replacement ... not a problem ... you can renew an expired PP with no new documents other than a picture for a certain amount of time

show up at the office with a valid PP but needs "time" for requirements .... ditto the above

show up at the office with nothing but a story about a lost PP ....... Houston, we have a problem.

In the earlier cases the 'old' PP was a basis for issuing a new one ....

in the later case, with no "old" pp ....... IMO you are starting over but a color copy of the old PP MIGHT help .....

I think that most of them turn in the items to the supervisor or following whatever protocol the company has.

The majority of people are honest and it is insulting to suggest that people one has never met are thieves just because they work on a cleaning crew.

But not all.

And I have met some people who did work on cleaning crews, and overheard their discussions about NOT turning in high ticket, easily used or sold items. I specificilly heard them talk about how to divide a Bose Noise Cancelling Headset (worth over $300). And mentioning that if wallets are turned in, it is less most if not all of the cash.

Leave something, take you chances.

That is, if another passenger does not see it and take it. Yes, some passengers are theives also.

Yes, most people are honest. But if 5% are not, out of every cleaning crew that is probably 1.

show up at the office with an expired PP but in the window for replacement ... not a problem ... you can renew an expired PP with no new documents other than a picture for a certain amount of time

show up at the office with a valid PP but needs "time" for requirements .... ditto the above

show up at the office with nothing but a story about a lost PP ....... Houston, we have a problem.

in the later case, with no "old" pp ....... IMO you are starting over but a color copy of the old PP MIGHT help .....

I think their position is similar to someone who loses their passport on a trip and has to get a replacement at a Consulate, which likely means that at the least they will get a limited validity passport. I'm sure the OP isn't the first person to ever show up at a passport office having lost their passport and needing a replacement immediately.

I NEVER put my passport in the seat pocket. I put it back in my bag or in my shirt pocket.

And I always OPEN the seat pocket and look and feel for anything I may have left in there.

Absolutely right. I never put my passport into the seat pocket. I won't put it in my bag either. When travelling by air my wallet and passport stay on my person. If I need to get off the plane quickly I don't want to delay an evacuation retrieving my carry-on from the overhead.

I'm also a little reluctant to blindly stick my hand down a seat pocket after once finding a wad of still damp tissues left by a previous passenger.

t

I wonder if it would make a difference, if one shows up at PP office knowing the number and isuse date of his/her lost pp? If they have a copy of the information page Would that help expedite?

I wonder if it would make a difference, if one shows up at PP office knowing the number and isuse date of his/her lost pp? If they have a copy of the information page Would that help expedite?

I would think so. At the very least it would make it easier to fill out any lost passport paperwork.