I am now onboard Grand and having some problems

RavennaM

Hey all, has anything like this happened to you guys:

Dirty water from the toilet floaded to all of our cabin carpet while we were having breakfast this morning. All of our shoes are dirty, there are machines drying carpets right now and they are so loud that we cant stay in our cabin right now, not sure what I am going to do when it is time to get ready for dinner! Also weird smell in the cabin. We asked if they could give a new cabin for us. That did not happen. No one cabin available! Could that even be true? Any suggestion what we should do? Thanks!

I assume you have spoken to the Hotel GM.

Yes, the ship an be full.'

I would go to one of the public rooms and read or play a game. Take part in one or more activities. Go to a port talk. Anything to stay our of the cabin.

I caught ours just in time. It wasn't dirty water though. I walked into the cabin, had a quick pee, and flushed. The flush worked fine and I walked off. Then I heard water and looked in the bathroom and saw that the fill hadn't stopped. I frantically looked for a shutoff and didn't see one so I zipped out into the hall for help and our steward happened to be right next door. He put rolled up towels at the doorway (fortunately there is a lip there) and then managed to turn off the water or at least got it to stop filling. I wasn't watching as there's not much room and I certainly didn't want to be in the way. It was very close as the water was just about to go over the lip and into the main cabin.

I've read a number of posts by folks who had the toilet back up. It's often caused by a neighbor who flushed something they shouldn't have flushed. The system doesn't have huge pipes and there are a lot of folks who don't seem to have any common sense when it comes to putting things in the toilet. They may get away with it at home but the ship's system is totally different.

I would write a very polite letter to the hotel manager.

Tell him your cabin is absolutely uninhabitable. You kindly request being moved to another cabin.

If that is not possible, request a full refund of your cruise credited to your onboard account as a refundable credit (in case you don't use it all).

Before giving the letter to the hotel manager, ask the Passenger Services desk to make a copy for you.

Based on what I have heard in the past, there is always a cabin available, even if it means moving some staff.

If the resulting cabin is a lower grade than what you have, write another polite letter asking for something like 50% refundable onboard credit compensation.

My husband and I have had an issue (although not as bad as yours) and wrote a polite letter asking for a specific amount of compensation. The hotel manager had to check with corporate (of course) and we ended up getting our credit. Important to keep it polite.

Now, after writing this, I'm curious what other people will suggest.

Good luck! And let us know what happens

I would write a very polite letter to the hotel manager.

Tell him your cabin is absolutely uninhabitable. You kindly request being moved to another cabin.

If that is not possible, request a full refund of your cruise credited to your onboard account as a refundable credit (in case you don't use it all).

Before giving the letter to the hotel manager, ask the Passenger Services desk to make a copy for you.

Based on what I have heard in the past, there is always a cabin available, even if it means moving some staff.

If the resulting cabin is a lower grade than what you have, write another polite letter asking for something like 50% refundable onboard credit compensation.

My husband and I have had an issue (although not as bad as yours) and wrote a polite letter asking for a specific amount of compensation. The hotel manager had to check with corporate (of course) and we ended up getting our credit. Important to keep it polite.

Now, after writing this, I'm curious what other people will suggest.

Good luck! And let us know what happens

Excellent advise

I can't address what Princess does. I do know that at least one other cruise line always maintains a few cabins, even on a "sold out" cruise in order to deal with such emergencies. I learned this when we had a cabin issue--after 2 full days of "engineers" in my cabin (couldn't change clothes, etc. while they were there), I basically approached the front desk with "enough is enough." despite having seen the "cruise is full, no upgrades available" sign.

As above, ask to meet with the hotel manager, and prior to that have your issues documented in writing. At the meeting, give him the letter and then talk. If they will not arrange a meeting, as above, have the letter sent to him and keep a copy.

If you are moved to a cabin at or above your current level, they should also deal with cleaning any affected clothing, etc. You should receive some level of compensation for your inconvenience. If moved to a lesser cabin, you should receive a partial refund.

If they absolutely insist that there are no cabins available and you cannot be moved, request a 100% refund of your cruise fare, clearly stating that you CANNOT occupy the cabin and will have to find a public area where you can exist 24/7. Yes, refundable OBC is an appropriate form of compensation.

The bottom line is that you purchased a cabin. If they cannot supply you with a safe, sanitary cabin, they owe you compensation.

if this is indeed a 'real time situation' as between breakfast and now dinner, I'm not 'writing any polite letters' !!:mad:

I'm DEMANDING that the hotel m'd take care of the situation immediately, if not sooner, and am contacting CDC to make sure that they come onboard at the next port for a full ship inspection and deep cleaning...

I'm betting a room will be found;p

if this is indeed a 'real time situation' as between breakfast and now dinner, I'm not 'writing any polite letters' !!:mad:

I'm DEMANDING that the hotel m'd take care of the situation immediately, if not sooner, and am contacting CDC to make sure that they come onboard at the next port for a full ship inspection and deep cleaning...

I'm betting a room will be found;p

That sounds lovely, but unless your next port is in the US, the CDC has no authority. Yes, the CDC maintains a "Vessel Sanitation Program," but their authority ends where international waters start.

I think the best solution is a meeting with the hotel manager and taking him to see the room as it is now, after 8 hours of attempted fixes. Sure, contact the CDC...but they won't help you tonight!

That sounds just awful! I hope you’re able to move to a new cabin; as others have said, one must be available. Even if the problem is fixed and the carpets dry out, you still may have odor issues. Besides, it may feel icky just staying in the cabin after this.

We’ve experienced water dripping from the ceiling twice on the Grand, once in our cabin, and once in the hallway just outside our cabin. We’re sailing on her again in July. Fingers crossed that they don’t continue to have toilet problems!

Good luck, and please report back on how this is resolved. I hope you can have an enjoyable rest of your cruise.

There is nothing "lovely" about this situation and the complete lack of response by Princess

Dirty water from the toilet floaded to all of our cabin carpet while we were having breakfast this morning. All of our shoes are dirty, there are machines drying carpets right now and they are so loud that we cant stay in our cabin right now, not sure what I am going to do when it is time to get ready for dinner! Also weird smell in the cabin.:evilsmile:

I'm getting a blanket and pillow and camping out in the atrium at 8:m if the issue isn't resolved to my complete satisfaction WITH compensation.

Pretty sure the Hotel M'D has a very nice cabin i'll be sleeping in tonight...;p

;p

Good luck with that. You obviously have no idea of how the program works and who actually does the inspections.

You need to insist on a new cabin. I'd bet your cruise fare that they have one sitting empty.

Our cabin was flooded with clean (-ish) water, on Carnival a few years ago. The toilet was refilling, and just didn't stop. This happened in the middle of the night. After several phone calls, when they didn't want to move us, I reminded him we were Platinum, and told him "I insist you find us a new cabin." Ding-ding-ding! Magic words. Somehow a different cabin materialized. (Apparently a passenger had been a no-show, leaving this cabin available -- there was paperwork with his name on it, sitting on the desk.)

We moved in the middle of the night, and when we went back in the morning, the carpet was still soaked, and there were several fans running. The cabin smelled like wet dogs, so I know exactly what you're saying re: the "weird smell."

Not sure you need to write a letter... Do you have a camera on your phone? Just take lots of pictures. Perhaps make some notes about what happened, dates, times, etc., keep a cell-phone-pic of that, and give your notes to the Hotel Manager.

Good luck to you. I hope you get resolution.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We had an issue on our Alaska cruise in'08. When we boarded the Golden we went straight to our stateroom, opened the door and was met by the most foul smelling air. The toilet had overflowed and spewed contaminated water all over the bathroom floor and out into the closet area and part way into the bedroom. Contacted our steward and housekeeping. They brought in shampooing equipment, shampooed and disinfectants along with the noisy fans and a portable air purifier: all noisy for three days. We did not let this ruin our cruise. No rooms were available for us to move to so we adjusted. Upon returning home we sent a polite letter explaining what had happened. Corporate sent us a letter back apologizing for the event and offered us a credit for our next cruise. We used it to cruise the Mexican Riviera the following year. Using honey works better than vinegar!! Hope things work to your satisfaction.

Hey all, has anything like this happened to you guys:

Dirty water from the toilet floaded to all of our cabin carpet while we were having breakfast this morning. All of our shoes are dirty, there are machines drying carpets right now and they are so loud that we cant stay in our cabin right now, not sure what I am going to do when it is time to get ready for dinner! Also weird smell in the cabin. We asked if they could give a new cabin for us. That did not happen. No one cabin available! Could that even be true? Any suggestion what we should do? Thanks!

They always have some extra cabins available in case of emergencies...don’t give up

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do have extra cabins . I was In Alaska 2 years ago on the Volendam and a pipe above our room started leaking water on the last night . They moved us to a ocean view cabin on our deck that was free. That also have to make sure that there is enough lifeboats for all passengers if all the 3-4 berth cabins are full then a few cabins may have to be kept empty

We had a slightly different issue. We had bed bugs (or something that bit DH all over his back and legs) in our cabin. They moved us from an inside to an OV. The cabin they moved us to doesn't show as a cabin on the deck plans, because it isn't available for passengers...it was an empty entertainer's cabin.

Another time, we had damaged clothing/belongings and a ruined suitcase when it fell into the harbor during loading. Insurance covered almost all the damage. All the wet clothes went to the laundry free of charge. Unfortunately, it took 3 days to get them back!! All we had to wear was what we walked onto the ship wearing. We found out when we got back that if we'd pushed passenger services, they would have paid for us to shop in the store.

Be sure you know what you want, write it all down so you don't forget and insist on getting it done.

Thanks for your comments guys! Still no new cabin for us. Our cabin attendant said that they sanitised the floor but that must have happen fast because we were gone like less than an hour. Well now I am writing a letter, hope that helps. I am also really tempted to go camping in front of the guest service desk!!

Considering the apparent increase in these incidents it surprises me that Princess does not state (with plaque next to toilet) that personal cleansing towelettes cannot be flushed.