Guarantee Room Issue

I finally got it in writing from Mr. Frau about the sofa bed.

"Thank you for your e-mail. It is a pleasure to be of further assistance.

As I stated during our conversation, your stateroom will be able to accommodate your three guests. The third guest will have a sofa bed twin. Since you reserved an interior guarantee we will not be able to change your stateroom.

Thank you for your loyalty with Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Oasis of the Seas. "

Good to see that he came through for you in the end. Just make certain to print that out and carry it with you just in case. :)

I finally got it in writing from Mr. Frau about the sofa bed.

"Thank you for your e-mail. It is a pleasure to be of further assistance.

As I stated during our conversation, your stateroom will be able to accommodate your three guests. The third guest will have a sofa bed twin. Since you reserved an interior guarantee we will not be able to change your stateroom.

Thank you for your loyalty with Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Oasis of the Seas. "

He put one sentence in his email that would make me leery, "sofa bed twin". Someone had a twin sofabed in an accessible cabin that was just a pile of cushions that velcroed together which could be opened up flat to make a bed on the floor. If that is what you are getting, a roll away is a step up! I will try to find the thread because I know there was a picture showing the twin sofabed.

Edit: I found the thread, but the pictures no longer show because photobucket is now making people pay.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Good to see that he came through for you in the end. Just make certain to print that out and carry it with you just in case. :)
Sorry but it wouldn't matter if you had a letter from the president. Once on board you will get what they assign you and nothing will be done. They will have to fight for compensation after the fact.

Personally I don't believe for a moment that they will ad a sofa bed to the room.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Sorry but it wouldn't matter if you had a letter from the president. Once on board you will get what they assign you and nothing will be done. They will have to fight for compensation after the fact.

Personally I don't believe for a moment that they will ad a sofa bed to the room.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Ditto. Once on board, Miami has almost zero power.

He put one sentence in his email that would make me leery, "sofa bed twin". Someone had a twin sofabed in an accessible cabin that was just a pile of cushions that velcroed together which could be opened up flat to make a bed on the floor. If that is what you are getting, a roll away is a step up! I will try to find the thread because I know there was a picture showing the twin sofabed.

Edit: I found the thread, but the pictures no longer show because photobucket is now making people pay.

I think you are correct, it's an oversized portable chair that can be pulled out like a sofa bed. You can see pics on google by looking up twin sofa bed. Two kinds are shown, the cushions that lay on the floor and the other with a small frame

This situation is just unfortunate and I can completely understand why you are upset. I’ve booked multiple guarantees and I always knew I was taking a gamble with the room location, but I didn’t know that I was also taking a gamble with sleeping on the floor (or whatever type of “bed” they are proposing). I think by not being forthcoming about that, they are being deceptive. They might give you cushions that are velcroed together as a bed? It seems rather odd to me to be going to a formal dinner all dressed up, only to retire to your stateroom to sleep on the floor.

I don’t really like the tone of the letter. He specifically states that your stateroom cannot be changed. You just asked for a letter confirming the sofa bed. Instead you got a letter implying a different kind of sofa bed than what everyone would’ve thought you were getting, and he also says you won’t be moved. This leaves you in a bad spot when you get there and he has basically stated they won’t be doing anything to help you.

Cruising is so fun, but it really has changed a lot. Years ago, I felt like they would bend over backwards to help, but I find they are being obstinate about this. The booking experience shouldn’t be stressful.

I’m hopeful that this will work out to your satisfaction, or that you will get offered a very reasonable upgrade closer to your sailing. Of the 3 guarantees I’ve booked, I’ve never ended up sailing in the room they originally assigned me. I’ve either moved within the category, (which I know you can’t do), or I’ve purchased an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was trying to remember the details of that thread before posting about it - thank you for posting.

I, too, very much think that Strike Eagle and his third passenger are Royally Screwed.

I was trying to remember the details of that thread before posting about it - thank you for posting.

I, too, very much think that Strike Eagle and his third passenger are Royally Screwed.

Sadly, I agree 100%. Good customer service by shoreside RCL just doesn't exist anymore.

Thinking about this whole experience of my first time booking a guarantee room ever since I first sailed with Royal Caribbean since 1997 why now book a guarantee . When booking the interior room on Oasis in April this year. For at least 3 or 4 consecutive weeks all the interior and ocean view rooms only available as "Guarantee" rooms only. You can not select your room. (both refundable and non-refundable) that is the reason why I booked the guarantee room at that time. I thought it was strange. I posted a thread about it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2624418

About the twin sofa bed, as long as it can put back into the sofa during the day time to save space, it will be fine with us. On all past cruises my daughter slept on the pullman bed size, it is big enough for her, therefore the twin size sofa bed should be fine with her

Edited by StrikeEagle

Be careful what you ask for. On land based hotel travel I have used both sofa-beds and roll-aways. Almost all of the time the sofa-beds are absolutely horrible, better off sleeping on the floor. Sometimes the roll-aways are bad. I would try to get some feedback on how bad the roll-aways are on your particular ship before insisting on something particularly worse.

OP, there are other 3-person inside rooms available on a “scanner” website.

They are 3V (11439), and 1V (3830, 3811, 3838) available.

Any chance you could ask them to reassign to one of those categories?

Regardless, wishing your family a wonderful cruise, and thank you for alerting us to this guarantee problem.

** EDIT - sorry, OP, missed your previous comment where you already tried switching and no go. **

Edited by peach section
updated

At this point, it is all speculation, and I wish you the best 3 person sleeping arrangement possible, one proper bed for each person. A floor mattress would be unacceptable, in my opinion. This is something people do when you try to fit extra people in a hotel room....people you didn't pay for to be in the room. You paid for 3 people. Please report back your outcome.

I think a "sofa bed twin" is the sofa where the cushions come off the back entirely and the butt-part of sofa is the twin-sized mattress.

Not something that actually unfolds or pulls out in any way -- think of a daybed situation. The actual floorspace in the room doesn't change whether the sofa is a couch or a bed, because the footprint of the sofabed is the same in both configurations.

Alternately, it could be a loveseat sized couch that folds out into a twin-sized mattress, and then can be put back to a loveseat during the daytime.

• 1 month later...

I just got this email from Royal Caribbean. After reading it, I login to my account and check my booking now it shows I have a different room. It is now a boardwalk balcony room #12725. Eventhough that room also doesn't have the symbol for the 3rd berth, but I don't mind at all. Now we have a balcony. Daughter and wife can have the bed, I will sleep on the balcony. :):):):)

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest:

As you get ready for your upcoming August 5, 2018, cruise vacation onboard the Oasis of the Seas, we wanted to advise of a minor change to your stateroom.

We modified some of our staterooms and have changed your recently assigned stateroom. Your new room is the same exact size and includes the same amenities as your previous stateroom.

Within the next two business days, we will send you an updated booking confirmation advising of your new stateroom number. To view your stateroom details, please visit https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships. Once there, select your ship, and then click on Deck Plans on the top banner. And voila, your new stateroom details awaits!

There is no action necessary on your part, but we are here to answer any questions. Please feel free to contact us at the following numbers:

Re-Accommodation Desk

· Individual Bookings: (888) 281-9344

Thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you onboard for an amazing adventure!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

I just got this email from Royal Caribbean. After reading it, I login to my account and check my booking now it shows I have a different room. It is now a boardwalk balcony room #12725. Eventhough that room also doesn't have the symbol for the 3rd berth, but I don't mind at all. Now we have a balcony. Daughter and wife can have the bed, I will sleep on the balcony. :):):):)

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest:

As you get ready for your upcoming August 5, 2018, cruise vacation onboard the Oasis of the Seas, we wanted to advise of a minor change to your stateroom.

We modified some of our staterooms and have changed your recently assigned stateroom. Your new room is the same exact size and includes the same amenities as your previous stateroom.

Within the next two business days, we will send you an updated booking confirmation advising of your new stateroom number. To view your stateroom details, please visit https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships. Once there, select your ship, and then click on Deck Plans on the top banner. And voila, your new stateroom details awaits!

There is no action necessary on your part, but we are here to answer any questions. Please feel free to contact us at the following numbers:

Re-Accommodation Desk

· Individual Bookings: (888) 281-9344

Thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you onboard for an amazing adventure!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

I am very glad to see your situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. I hope you have a wonderful cruise in your new room and truly hope you end up with what you paid for (cabin that REALLY sleeps 3).

Booking a cabin in anticipation of a cruise vacation should never be such a stressful, contentious process. After seeing how you have been treated, I know that I will never book another guarantee.

To the OP- I just read through this entire post and see that while your sleeping situation does not seem to be any different, I'm happy that you got a much better room which is an upgrade to your original booking.

We are in the (almost) exact same situation as your group- mid April I found a great rate on an OV Balcony GTY for 3 adults on the Oasis August 26 sailing. Had my TA book for us and got a cabin assignment a few weeks later, but before final payment came due. We have been assigned cabin 12720 which is a 6D category designed for 2 people. Once I made final payment, my TA forwarded me the invoice which has ROLLAWAY BED listed under the 3rd guest. Not sure if I will get anywhere by calling them and having the same run around that you got

Just a quick add to this since I was in a similar 'boat'. I booked a guarantee Grand Suite large balcony. I confirmed from RCCL that the beds split before paying for the room. I put on the reservation for split beds and also emailed the concierge to ensure the beds split when we arrive (our last names are the same but we are 40 years apart in age). I was traveling with my dad so sharing a bed is not an option.. The cruise was two weeks out and almost sold out. We were upgraded to a Sky Loft and on the ship while talking with the room attendant when we first met, we found out the bed did NOT split. My only option was the couch. I was furious.

I was even more furious when, after one night sleeping on the couch, I could not stand upright. I was in enormous pain that got worse day by day. Even with a topper, I was a mess.

Moral: Don't assume the couch is a great solution. (Also, three people behind me in the guest relations line were there to complain of bad backs due to the actual mattresses (not even couches) in their rooms).

As I sit here typing this, days after returning home, my back is still killing me. It throbs and I still have such issues walking for more than a few minutes time.