July Baltic Cruise - Let's talk money! (Well... let's talk currency)

Never having left the states, I'm just not sure of the ins and outs of currency on a trip like this. (My husband and I are traveling.)

Where is the best place in the U.S. to buy currency? Banks? Online? What types of currency and about how much should I be taking for shore excursions. The ship is not an issue as it's currency free. I'm trying to plan for each excursion at each stop. We're using Alla tours and probably will have a meal off-ship at each stop. They are not always included in the tour price. Are we talking Euros? Rubles? Both?

Thanks in advance for your ideas. :cool:

We did the NCL Baltic cruise last summer out of Copenhagen. We ordered some Danish Kroner and Euros from our bank (B of A). That was very handy to have when we were in Copenhagen before the cruise and we used the Euros at port stops in Germany, Tallinn, and Helsinki. You can use credit cards (check for foreign transaction fees, Visa's are usually best) too but for food or other small purchases the cash currency was easier for us. We didn't use Swedish kroner (used a credit card there) and didn't need rubles in St. Petersburg at all because you can use Euros at most of the touristy shops there and at the port gift shops. Some even took US Dollars. Your Alla tour guide will probably take you to places that accept Euros to keep it simple, but you could always email ahead and ask.

I know people will disagree with our "strategy", but we usually get our foreign currency from Chase Bank before we leave. We are going exchange $1,000 and get euros. I am also going to get $100 in Danish Kroner, Rubles, and Swedish kroner to use for small purchases where we can't use our credit card or euros. (there will be 4 of us on this Baltic cruise.) We will use our IHG Priority credit card as much as possible, as it has no foreign transaction-fees. We will also carry our Jetblue card, which also has no fees, just in case our first is compromised. We have never used an ATM- even in the U.S., which is what people say is the best way to get currency from the country you are in, and don't plan to start using them now. We did a Western Med cruise last summer, and survived very nicely without using ATM's - we did take $1,000 in euros with us then also, and did not come close to spending it all. Just remember to let your bank know you will be using a credit/debit card in different countries, or they may put a stop on your card, which is a pain to handle when not in the U.S.

A lot of people say to go to an ATM to get a better exchange rate when you get to where you are going but this has never worked for us once. We have never been successful in getting money out of an ATM. We like to order ahead of time from Wells Fargo.

I live in Sweden. In Sweden and Denmark many stores/restaurants/cafes don't accept cash. All accept credit cards, though. (With chip)

Use local ATM's and credit card. Just make sure to unlock your card to make your bank know you are in Europe.

By the way, the swedish crown is REALLY low to the dollar now. Make sure to buy something nice with you home or to enjoy a nice meal.

We plan on getting some "local" currency for our trip in Sept. but plan to pay for most things with credit card. We also plan to leave any leftover at a church when we leave the country,

Never having left the states, I'm just not sure of the ins and outs of currency on a trip like this. (My husband and I are traveling.)

Where is the best place in the U.S. to buy currency? Banks? Online? What types of currency and about how much should I be taking for shore excursions. The ship is not an issue as it's currency free. I'm trying to plan for each excursion at each stop. We're using Alla tours and probably will have a meal off-ship at each stop. They are not always included in the tour price. Are we talking Euros? Rubles? Both?

Thanks in advance for your ideas. :cool:

Don't take any cash. Your best exchange rate will be to use an ATM in port. Credit cards are also widely accepted. Make sure you have a chip and a pin for your CC.

Credit Card with Chip, yes. PIN not necessary unless you try to use it at an un-manned kiosk.

We tried to keep enough local currency for Taxis, tips, snacks.

We ordered our Euros and Kroner at our bank, they arrived the next day. Super simple.

Enjoy your trip,

Great question. For the most part will use CC but wondering if I can buy some walking around Rubles on ship, from some posts public toilets you have to pay and they only take rubles in St Petersburg

I live in Sweden. In Sweden and Denmark many stores/restaurants/cafes don't accept cash. All accept credit cards, though. (With chip)

Use local ATM's and credit card. Just make sure to unlock your card to make your bank know you are in Europe.

By the way, the swedish crown is REALLY low to the dollar now. Make sure to buy something nice with you home or to enjoy a nice meal.

I agree, use your credit card for everything.

We returned from Norway just a few days ago and found you just don’t use cash, everything is done with your credit card. We even made a toilette stop and had to swipe our credit card to open the stall door, the cost was 10NOK or about $1.26 USD! Very different from the US, once you realize credit is accepted for everything it’s so much easier than having so many different currencies.

Having been to St Petersburg and using Alla for a 2 day tour, our mid day meal was included each day so you may want to take a close look at your tour. Also, unless you’ve gotten a visa for Russia, you will have no free time on your own for meals, etc. Alla will include your tour under a blanket visa and you will be with the group the entire time, no wandering around on your own. As noted by other posters, we too have credit cards with no foreign transaction fee, just be sure any charges are done in that countries currency, not converted to USD and let your credit card company know your dates and which countries you’ll be traveling in.

Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is interesting, where I live in the US, there are stores that only accept cash.

Great question. For the most part will use CC but wondering if I can buy some walking around Rubles on ship, from some posts public toilets you have to pay and they only take rubles in St Petersburg

On a Southern Caribbean cruise last year on the Dawn, I was able to exchange a small amount of Euros for American money. I'm not sure what the rate was, but they didn't blink an eye when I asked to do the exchange. I would assume that they would be able to exchange for rubles as well, but you might want to check with people who are on the cruises before you if you are not one of the first sailings.

Only our experience, while in Norway recently we went to a currency exchange place to change over € to NOK, the rate was ridiculous, thus our choice to use our credit card for everything. Worked perfectly fine.

Hey, 300dtc, did you need coin or bills for the toilets in Berlin?

It is coins - I believe the prices vary from 50 Eurocent to 1 or 2 euros (The smallest bill is 5 Euros, and that is around $6, so unless they offer gold plated toilets..... ;p .

I live in Norway myself, and did the Baltic cruise a few years ago. Got some Danish and Swedish currency in advance, plus Euros for Helsinki, Germany and Tallinn. Could pay with Euros or US dollars in St. Petersburg. In most of Western Europe it is considered very safe to pay with a debet or credit card - but not so much in Eastern Europe (unless in well known shops, restaurants, hotels). It is also good to know in advance that in western Europe many businesses who accept credit cards request it to be a credit card WITH A PIN (I don't know if the US is still "pin free" when it comes to credit cards?). In the past I have on several occations met fellow cruisers ashore in ports, who planned on using their US credit card in ports but couldn't because their credit card didn't have the "pin code system".

We didn’t have a pin code for our credit card but had no problem using it, we did have to sign the receipts while in Norway which wasn’t a problem at all. We never were turned away when paying with our cc. Personally I’d so much rather operate this way than dealing with many different type of currencies. Easy peasy.

We didn’t have a pin code for our credit card but had no problem using it, we did have to sign the receipts while in Norway which wasn’t a problem at all. We never were turned away when paying with our cc. Personally I’d so much rather operate this way than dealing with many different type of currencies. Easy peasy.

I should have specified in my original post that I meant for purchases in smaller businesses eg. supermarkets, kiosks, snackbars, etc. and not businesses who are "directed" towards both locals AND tourists.

Hey, 300dtc, did you need coin or bills for the toilets in Berlin?

Needed coins I think it was 50 cent euro for most places. Of course if you eat at a restaurant or grab a beer in a bar you can use their facilities.

I have a Costco Visa and there is no foreign transaction fee. Used it in London last week. No PIN required. Had to pay 20 pence (coin) to use the toilet at the Southampton Bus Station while waiting for the National Express Bus.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

FYI Read about the pin situation prior to our Iceland trip last year. The US now works off the chip system and not the pin so unless travelling abroad frequently, most of us won't have one. The pin was needed when using the unmanned gas pumps in the less populated areas.

Pins are easy to get. Simply call the credit card company and get one established for your card. If you need it, it will be in place.