travel iron vs steamer

I love my little travel iron, but presumably I can't take it on a cruise. Any recommendations for a good compact clothes steamer?

Steamers are also on the prohibited list.

I'm afraid that Bob is right. Can you console yourself with the knowledge that everyone else will also be looking slightly rumpled? :)

This is such a bummer. I still don't understand the logic behind allowing flat irons (which all us frizzy haired ladies are thankful for) and no travel steamers. Seems strange to me...

Costs couple bucks but Royal does a great job pressing on the ships, even after wearing it all evening still holds up. Last 20 years soon as I get on board send out 5-6 shirts to be pressed and I'm good. Bring them on clean, pressing is half of what clean/press charge would have been...

This is such a bummer. I still don't understand the logic behind allowing flat irons (which all us frizzy haired ladies are thankful for) and no travel steamers. Seems strange to me...

Fire hazard - just about anything you can think of not medically required (like my CPAP machine) that has a heating element is prohibited. Royal offers pressing services that's not terribly expensive. Roll your clothes instead of folding them and bring Downy wrinkle release, that has worked pretty well for me.

If I have an unruly cuff or hem I use my flat iron on it LOL. Nice for hems, collars and shirt sleeves. Not much else though!

Fire hazard - just about anything you can think of not medically required (like my CPAP machine) that has a heating element is prohibited. Royal offers pressing services that's not terribly expensive. Roll your clothes instead of folding them and bring Downy wrinkle release, that has worked pretty well for me.

Yes, I understand but yet they allow hair straighteners, also know as flat irons, on board. I don't understand why those are approved yet I am happy about it.

I don't own clothing that requires ironing.

If something manages to get a little wrinkled, I hang it in the bathroom while I shower, then use my hands to smooth out any wrinkles, and everything is sunshine and lollipops again.

:D

Yes, I understand but yet they allow hair straighteners, also know as flat irons, on board. I don't understand why those are approved yet I am happy about it.

I think the reality is that they would have anarchy if hair appliances were prohibited. I'm sure they would love to prevent hair appliances from getting on the ship, but I also think they know that is an unrealistic expectation.

Flat irons can RUIN clothing if the flatiron is too hot or used on polyester.... (did this last cruise to my dress on the last night) ALSO, flatirons are no where NEAR the same fire hazard as a REAL iron and get no where near as hot - it also helps that flatirons have 2 ceramic plates to contact each other in order to work properly.

if Flatirons were on the naughty list I wouldn't cruise because I wouldn't have any chance of good hair without in in the Caribbean!! I think MANY other ladies are with me on that!!! :confused:

if you have to cruise with clothing that requires an IRON, REPACK!!!

If something manages to get a little wrinkled, I hang it in the bathroom while I shower, then use my hands to smooth out any wrinkles, and everything is sunshine and lollipops again.

Ditto. Must be the teacher in us. Haven't owned anything that needs pressed/ironed/dry cleaned in about 50 years. Waste of time and money.

In the past, I have packed using tissue between folds in some clothing. There is also a product , Downy wrinkle free , I think that is the name. Supposed to be good for smoothing clothes.

One reason we like Princess cruises is that there are laundromats on each passenger deck with irons and boards for passenger use.

On NCL, stewards have brought irons and boards to our cabin for a limited time for me to do some pressing.

Now, I do not spend too much time on cruises doing laundry or ironing, but some clothing items do need attention.

I agree with another poster here. Sending out my DH’s dress shirts and dress pants for pressing is not too costly. I do this even if irons and boards are available.

As I mentioned, I do not use too much of our cruise time doing laundry or ironing.

Ditto. Must be the teacher in us. Haven't owned anything that needs pressed/ironed/dry cleaned in about 50 years. Waste of time and money.

Ditto here. I’ve moved twice in the past 40 years and the ironing board did not make the trip the first time. My husband owns a steamer I’ve used twice in the ten years he’s had it. If something gets a bit wrinkled in transit, I dampen the wrinkles and hit with the blow dryer.

If I have an unruly cuff or hem I use my flat iron on it LOL. Nice for hems, collars and shirt sleeves. Not much else though!

Kool, never thought of that. Long use it before gets too hot while warming up...

I am the same way. If my dockers/shirts get a little wrinkled I hang them in the bathroom as we shower. If they are still a bit wrinkled, I don't sweat it too much. I figure I will never see the people on the ship again.

This is from a person who bought a tux, all ofthe accrouments and two tux shirts for formal nights. I even wear the tux if we go to the Windjammer for dinner on formal nights.

We usually send out several items to be pressed at the start of the cruise. Not expensive in the scheme of things. If we can spend $12-$15 per drink, pressing is not bad at all!

;)

We were allowed our portable steamer on Enchantment of the Seas after inspection. They said some portable steamers had a heating plate that were not allowed. Since ours had a heating element it was ok I guess.

I usually lay out my clothes weeks but pack last minute, rolling them. As soon as I can I unpack and hang anything that wrinkles. If necessary most of the cruise lines have self service laundry rooms that include an iron.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Probably because when you drop the flat iron on the floor it snaps closed and doesn't melt the carpet. You won't always get so lucky with a clothes iron.

I usually lay out my clothes weeks but pack last minute, rolling them. As soon as I can I unpack and hang anything that wrinkles. If necessary most of the cruise lines have self service laundry rooms that include an iron.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No self-service laundry or irons on any Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ships.

Probably because when you drop the flat iron on the floor it snaps closed and doesn't melt the carpet. You won't always get so lucky with a clothes iron.

Hmmm....I own many flat irons of all different companies and not one of them snap closed. Someone else mentioned that they don't get hot enough either and that is not true. Mine gets to 450 degrees. That is plenty hot to start something on fire. If it makes contact even on one plate it would be enough. Good thing I am super careful.