Left behind

I am reluctant to book shore excursions not offered by Royal because of concern about no guarantee for return to ship by all aboard time. We have had break downs of a van and of a bus on a couple of excursions and although it worked out, it could have been a problem.

If you miss the ship, what could you do? Will Royal be of any assistance?

I am reluctant to book shore excursions not offered by Royal because of concern about no guarantee for return to ship by all aboard time. We have had break downs of a van and of a bus on a couple of excursions and although it worked out, it could have been a problem.

If on a privately booked excursion you are responsible to be back onboard on time. The ship, if possible, might wait a short time, but it remains your own responsibility and you will have to make your own way to the next stop. RCI has no obligation to help you out in any way.

If on an RCI excursion the ship will try to wait, but there could be situations when they can´t. However in this scenario it´s RCI´s obligation to get you reunited with the ship at their cost.

My wife felt the same way, until our last cruise. Refused to even consider a non-RCI for fear of being stranded. The we took an RCI excursion that was pretty bad, and when we complained, they blew us off in a way that made it worse.

Now we’re not “anti-RCI” when it comes to excursions, but I definitely look at the local options.

I always take the cruise compass with details of port agents. Plus copy of my passport for ID, credit cards and sufficient cash.

I work on the basis that I may get stranded because of some unforeseen reason. So far it has not happened.

If I I did miss the ship, I would first try and call the port agent for advice. Next would be to find a hotel to stay. Third would be to find a way to get to the next port. That is in terms of priority. Of course if the next port is not far away then an overnight stay is unnecessary.

Cash plus ability to withdraw more cash in an emergency takes care of the need to get a taxi in an emergency even if I am some distance from the port.

In a nutshell, I have a contingency plan which sometimes requires research if I am going to an unfamiliar destination.

We were on a ship excursion in Brugges a few weeks ago and, due to a huge traffic mess on the main highway back to the port, were over an hour late getting back to ship. We would have been even later but our bus driver & the bus in front of us were able to take back roads. It was obvious the ship was leaving as soon as the last person was off the bus!:')

We heard that a couple on a private tour was stuck in the traffic mess and missed the ship. I guess they were able to catch a train & meet up with us in Amsterdam the next day.

Whenever we do a private tour, I always make sure we will be back at least an hour before the scheduled time, preferably sooner. My husband is perfectly comfortable with being the last on, but that would be very stressful for me.😀

Sherri🙂

I book popular/reputable third party excursions. This is what they do for a living and if they miss the ship a few times, their reputation, and maybe their business, is sunk. That means they will do whatever it takes to get you back in time. Still, as noted above, book with Royal is you're worried. It's your vacation and you should be happy, not worried.

You'll find that in most ports the tour companies are very experienced with cruise scheduling. We have used many third party tour companies all over the world. They have been excellent and generally much better than RCI shore tours. BUT, I research them thoroughly before deciding. These companies "bread and butter" are cruise tours. If they get a reputation for being late they go out of business. So they build in some "fudge factor" to get you back in plenty of time to catch the ship. HOWEVER things can happen. One thing I consider is the port. If there's one road in and out of town, I look at ship's tours more carefully. I heard a story of a third party tour in St. Kitts (I believe). On the way back there was an accident that blocked traffic on the only road to town. Luckily the private tour was behind a bus of ship's tour people so since the ship waited for it's tour to return, the private tour people made it. But this is unusual. Just research the companies on the Port of Call Board here as well as Tripadvisor and look at recommendations. Also pick tours that return maybe 2 hours before sailaway if possible. But most of all do what you feel comfortable with. It'd not be enjoyable if you are going to fret missing the ship during the tour.

I was terrified of this on my first and only cruise (so far) but we did take one private excursion and it was our favorite one by FAR and amazing. We were just very aware of the time and kept asking to make sure we would get back on time. Also, these people main customers are cruise passengers so they are used to it and bring you back in way more than enough time.

Also, I did a ton of research and only used your companies that multiple people said were great. Also, I looked on trip advisor and only went with your companies that had nearly five stars and thousands of reviews.

If you book with a good tour company, I don’t think you’ll have much to worry about but be aware of the time and give reminders if it puts your mind at ease!!!

I would 100 percent recommend going with a private tour company. We are going on a cruise next year and all of our tours are private. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A “reputable” tour company means nothing. Traffic, other circumstances,,, if you’re late, getting to the next port is on your nickel.

We were on a RCCL shore excursion and our bus was in a traffic accident and was inoperative. They had to get a replacement bus for us. We called the port agent from the bus and told them to make sure the ship knew we were on a RCCL tour and our bus was in an accident (we take photos of our Compass and port map so we have phone numbers and don’t have to carry around paper). The port agent, shore ex personnel, and tour company were waiting for us at the port.

The reputable tour companies offer a return to ship guarantee. If they miss the ship they will get you back to it.

We have only sailed the Bahama's/Caribbean so we don't really worry about it as none of the islands are that far away so if something does go south it should be a minor deal reuniting us with the ship.

We do a lot of research on the private vendors we use and we always, ALWAYS come back with at least 2 hours prior to the ship sailing. That gives us time to spare if there is traffic or a breakdown with the transportation.

I book popular/reputable third party excursions. This is what they do for a living and if they miss the ship a few times, their reputation, and maybe their business, is sunk. That means they will do whatever it takes to get you back in time. Still, as noted above, book with Royal is you're worried. It's your vacation and you should be happy, not worried.

This. 100% agree.

We only take excursions that guarantee we will be back in time to board. Yes, sometimes third party and cruise line excursions are late, but the majority of people who "miss the boat" on their return are because they were shopping or drinking and lost track of time. Most pier runners are not late due to an excursion.

We make a point of being back to the pier area at least an hour before all aboard time.

If you don't want to carry your cruise compass, take a picture of the port information with your phone, and you will have that with you.

Another thing to consider is buying travel insurance that will cover your missed-travel expenses. If you miss the ship and have to pay for an overnight hotel or a puddle jumper plane to the next island, it can be reimbursed. Same with good travel credit cards that come with travel insurance, as long as the trip/excursion you were on was purchased with that credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ONLY time I've been late-ish returning to the ship was the only time I took an RCI-sponsored excursion (which I only went on because several people in our group were going, and we were on the cruise to spend time with them).

I've been cruising since the 1980s, and 90% or more of my excursions have been non-ship excursions. Private excursions are a better value, both in money spent and enjoyment, in my experience. I really hate the "cattle call" aspect of ship-sponsored excursion.

While researching excursions in each port, I will often see what RCI is offering on their Cruise Planner pages....It doesn’t take mad detective skills to figure out what particular 3rd-party/private vendors they are using to facilitate the excursions they are selling.

I then book directly with the 3rd-party/private vendor, as it will save a LOT of money. Oftentimes, the vendor is sending a bus or van to pick us up at the pier - and getting on that same bus are the passengers who booked directly with RCI - who probably paid a lot more $$$ than I did, and yet are getting the exact same experience as I am. We’re all riding the same bus and all going to the same place.

Speaking of vans or buses, people are often worried about a van experiencing engine trouble & breaking down on the way back to port. Most, if not all, 3rd-party vendors, have numerous vehicles that they can quickly send to the affected van and switch out quickly.

If you want crowded overpriced excursions stick with the cruise line; other than some Europe stops and Far East ports book it yourself. Anywhere in the Caribbean and Mexico especially. Nassau,. for example, nothing is more than 15 minutes from dock - you can see the ship from Paradise Island. Why would you pay double and be herded like cattle with the line? Same goes for just about every other island; cabs everywhere plus reputable excursions that count on you for their living.

A “reputable” tour company means nothing. Traffic, other circumstances,,, if you’re late, getting to the next port is on your nickel.

We were on a RCCL shore excursion and our bus was in a traffic accident and was inoperative. They had to get a replacement bus for us. We called the port agent from the bus and told them to make sure the ship knew we were on a RCCL tour and our bus was in an accident (we take photos of our Compass and port map so we have phone numbers and don’t have to carry around paper). The port agent, shore ex personnel, and tour company were waiting for us at the port.

I agree with you.

We weigh the likelihood of that happening...then decide. Many ports are so easy to DIY, that you need no guide or excursion at all. We do our research prior to getting there, and unless something requires multiple modes of transportation or is very far from the port, we go it alone. So much nicer not to have to adhere to other's plans!

Just because you're on a "ship's excursion" doesn't always mean they will wait for you, but they will make every effort to get you back or to the next port, if possible.

If you're on a private tour and miss the ship, the tour operator will be of some help, but it's on your dime. The ship will leave the contents of your safe with the port person....so that you will have passports/money, etc...

They know if you don't return to the ship....so they make every effort to leave your "stuff" to facilitate your travels!

My wife felt the same way, until our last cruise. Refused to even consider a non-RCI for fear of being stranded. The we took an RCI excursion that was pretty bad, and when we complained, they blew us off in a way that made it worse.

Now we’re not “anti-RCI” when it comes to excursions, but I definitely look at the local options.

Same thing happened to us.....

We always use the roll call to set up private excursions with other passengers. Never had an issue.....Knock on Wood!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We have had break downs of a van and of a bus on a couple of excursions and although it worked out, it could have been a problem.
You've really been on multiple excursions on which vehicles broke down? I'd say you're bad luck.

We used ship-excursions on our first cruise, and we haven't done one since. They're large groups, and they take you to places that're providing kick-backs to the ship ... so you end up spending two hours in some junky straw market, and you're not allowed to stop in the cute little bar, even though you really, really want to use their bathroom.

Private excursions are small, and you get choices. The fact that they're cheaper is just a bonus.

I've been reading this site for more than a decade, and I've never heard of a private shore excursion getting back late. Not one.

I have read about people (on ship tours or private tours) being returned to the port in time to re-board the ship ... but instead they start drinking or shopping "in the shadow the ship", thinking they're safe ... and they lose track of time.

It depends for us. (Totally non committal, right?)

1. If we are taking an excursion to a destination and it is a long distance from the ship/port, then we usually book an RCL excursion.

2. If we are doing a "loop" type tour (Historical, Island sightseeing, etc), we will do one that gives us a few hours of leeway for getting back on board. In these cases too, we are usually dropped in town, if its near the port, and grab a locals lunch or buy some jewelry. I'll re-emphasize what other have said....if you book a reputable tour guide, its 99% not an issue. Use CC to Trip Advisor to do your research. A good example I can give is St. Kitts. 110% recommend Thenford Grey. Phenomenal tour guide. Takes you all around the island and gets you back with several hours to spare.

3. One of the big reasons we book balcony rooms is to grab a drink and go to the balcony to watch people running to try and make the ship. Some people try to cut it too close. We always plan to be back on board at least an hour before they require.

There's a misunderstanding of what the cruise lines actually "Guarantees" when booking a ship sponsored excursion. The cruise line does not "Guarantee" that the ship will be held until all excursions have returned to the ship. The cruise line will make every reasonable effort to hold the ship as long as it's cost effective to do so. Any time over the pre-allotted scheduled and payed for time in port costs the cruiselines astronomical dollars in additional port fees and unplanned for fuel usage fees . At times it's more cost effective for the ship to exit the dock rather than pay all the additional fees and transit the passengers on the cruise sponsored excursion to the next port of call to meet up with the ship.

Another missing understanding is that The Port Authority and Not the Captain is in control of the situation as to when the ship must leave the dock.

The only Guarantee from the cruise line for ship sponsored tours is that it will make every reasonable effort for the passengers to meet up at a port on the itinerary. In many cases it just happens to be the port the excursion was scheduled to return in the first place.

You've really been on multiple excursions on which vehicles broke down? I'd say you're bad luck.

Yup, really have. On one excursion on the Amalfi Coast the motorized door to the passenger compartment quit working and it took the guide and driver some time to figure out how to operate it manually. On another (can't remember where), the bus developed an issue and we were stopped for about 45 min to an hour while the driver crawled under neath it and got it going again. Neither was a big deal, but did cause me to think. Stuff does happen.