Afternoon Tea?

Lottie A

Does Celebrity do a special Afternoon Tea? I'm taking my mother on a Silhouette cruise next week and she is very fond of a proper Afternoon Tea. I know it's a British thing!

I think there is a once a cruise Elite event which I can take her to, but I'm not sure about the other days.

They certainly still serve it in Michael's, that took the place of in suite butler afternoon tea. No idea if they still serve in the Oceanview but sure someone will answer that for you. And yes, a very English thing and hubby and I certainly enjoy it.

The afternoon tea selection in the buffet is of a standard many high tea establishments would struggle to compete with. The only issue is you wont get your tea served in China pots

There is a high tea for Elite members and above where one can get a glass or two of bubbles.

I've often found that the highlight of my afternoon tea is a wee bit of Macallan on the rocks. It certainly 'rocks' the tea.

I've often found that the highlight of my afternoon tea is a wee bit of Macallan on the rocks. It certainly 'rocks' the tea.

My mother would be with you on that one K12Guy. She loves a drap of Macallan.

I'm the one with "the bubbles". 😄

I don't know if the Champagne tea is still offered but it was a fee based event. I think maybe $25/pp. The Elite tea is held once per cruise and in my opinion, not worth going to. The last time we went, we thought the servers were wishing we had all skipped it so they wouldn't have to serve. They ran out of things halfway around a table for 8 or 10 and never came back. As someone else said, the daily afternoon tea in the oceanview cafe is great......little buns with various fillings, some sandwiches, tarts and lots of lovely cakes. It is held from 4PM - 5PM.

I don't know if the Champagne tea is still offered but it was a fee based event. I think maybe $25/pp. The Elite tea is held once per cruise and in my opinion, not worth going to. The last time we went, we thought the servers were wishing we had all skipped it so they wouldn't have to serve. They ran out of things halfway around a table for 8 or 10 and never came back. As someone else said, the daily afternoon tea in the oceanview cafe is great......little buns with various fillings, some sandwiches, tarts and lots of lovely cakes. It is held from 4PM - 5PM.

I thought the Elite event was poor.

HAL do afternoon tea so much better IMHO.

Thanks Mynki, now I know I'm not a malcontent. and indeed it was poor. We have never been back. Maybe it's better now. Frankly, I think if they are going to do a poor job, better to discontinue it.

Quite agree. Why bother to do it if it's not a good event?

I have to say that the Afternoon Tea done on Viking, Oceania and Silversea is magnificent.

At the moment my mother is planning to bring her own tea, teapot and bone china cup and saucer for our Silhouette cruise next week. She really does love her tea! :D

The afternoon tea selection in the buffet is of a standard many high tea establishments would struggle to compete with. The only issue is you wont get your tea served in China pots

Seriously? On 3 trips on Eclipse I never once saw it advertised on board & the self help tea service was really lame. At least Princess makes a decent effort. Cunard's was always excellent & the tea service on Oceania almost makes it worth booking the cruise just for the tea service!

Seriously? On 3 trips on Eclipse I never once saw it advertised on board & the self help tea service was really lame. At least Princess makes a decent effort. Cunard's was always excellent & the tea service on Oceania almost makes it worth booking the cruise just for the tea service!
I only found out about afternoon tea in the Oceanview on my last cruise - I had previously thought it was only available one time as an Elite benefit. I was pleasantly surprised by the dessert selection (the sconds, cream, jam were fantastic). There is no "being served" mind you... but it really was the sconds I was after [emoji12].

The OCV experience really is not 'worse' than the elite tea occasion.

I would add, however, that the tea at a Princess cruise afternoon tea was better steeped tea though...

I only found out about afternoon tea in the Oceanview on my last cruise - I had previously thought it was only available one time as an Elite benefit. I was pleasantly surprised by the dessert selection (the sconds, cream, jam were fantastic). There is no "being served" mind you... but it really was the sconds I was after [emoji12].

The OCV experience really is not 'worse' than the elite tea occasion.

I would add, however, that the tea at a Princess cruise afternoon tea was better steeped tea though...

The comments on this post lead me to believe I really do need to attend an afternoon tea, just to see what it's about. :p

You certainly do! The scones alone are worth your trip.
Can't emphasize my agreement with this comment enough!
But do they have proper Cornish or Devon clotted cream for the scones or is it that horrible squirty stuff from a can? :D
I don't know if it's proper clotted cream, but it's not the horrible stuff from a can.

But do they have proper Cornish or Devon clotted cream for the scones or is it that horrible squirty stuff from a can? :D

We never have the afternoon tea (perhaps we should!) so I can't comment on the cream, but I have to say that the milk tastes different on board. In the buffet on the Eclipse there were three choices: skimmed, "regular", which I think is the same as whole milk, and "half and half" which I think is more like cream to put in coffee. Anyone else, do correct me if I am wrong. We like a good cup of tea, but on board it is not quite the same as at home. For use in the stateroom we usually get one of the little cartons from the breakfast buffet and keep it in the fridge. Your mum would probably be wise to bring her own tea things and tea, because tea always tastes better out of a china cup and you get used to your own brand.

Once you have had afternoon tea on QM 2 in the Queens room, nothing else we've had on X compares favorably...it is outstanding.

The Elite tea was always nice, not great, but was held at an inconvenient time towards the end of the cruise...have not gone back in awhile...

Once you have had afternoon tea on QM 2 in the Queens room, nothing else we've had on X compares favorably...it is outstanding.

I have ....many times. I'm not expecting the formal Cunard White Star service on X but it will be nice to have afternoon tea on our sea days on Silhouette.

Actually the best afternoon tea I have ever had at sea was on Oceania Marina....beat Cunard by a mile. Viking Oceans comes a very close second. The Queen's Room on QM2 is a magnificent venue but actually the food is sometimes disappointing. The warm scones and clotted cream are wonderful though...but which goes on first? The strawberry jam or the clotted cream?

Depends if you go with the Cornish or Devon way of course. These things are important to a Brit. :D