The Beautiful Eurodam and My Princess Comparison

I’m a reader. I’ve never been bored anywhere ..[emoji6][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll repeat one of my own favorite quotes ascribed to the Queen Mother to her daughters: If you are bored my dears, then you are boring.

I’m a reader. I’ve never been bored anywhere ..[emoji6][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a reader also, but like most people, I also like a little variety. I don't want to have NO options. If I did, I'd go maroon myself on a desert isle.

A few options is a good thing when it comes to entertainment -- whether that be self-entertainment or otherwise....

I'll repeat one of my own favorite quotes ascribed to the Queen Mother to her daughters: If you are bored my dears, then you are boring.

That's a lovely old chestnut. Right up there with:

-- Children should be seen and not heard; and

-- Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Perhaps these should all be retired. ;)

In all seriousness, a few cheerleaders on HAL like to pretend that HAL ships have always been a sort of cloistered land where no daily activities were offered and the hardy souls aboard spent their days gazing out to sea contemplatively or read improving books. But that's simply not the case. HAL used to offer more entertainment on sea days, and they no longer do.

It's unfortunate that HAL doesn't see fit to match their interesting itineraries with some equally interesting onboard activities. Or possibly they do provide some activities for those who are able to book longer cruises. Unfortunately, the result is that those of us still working who cannot take a cruise longer than 14 days (the very group HAL might want to consider attracting) end up forming the opinion that HAL is to be avoided on itineraries with a lot of sea days.

Slay boredom. 96 things to do when you are bored. Besides demanding HAL entertain you 24/7. https://www.mydomaine.com/things-to-do-when-bored Pick out some favorites, put them on a flash card and haul them out when one gets "bored" while cruising.

BTW: I am sorry HAL is not offering some of their more interactive options. I always enjoyed them too. But they are just not deal killers in my book to give up what HAL still offers. I fully subscribe to motivational chestnuts like if I am bored, then I am boring. Great food for thought, no calories too.

Also nice to see some here never get bored bashing those they dimissively label as "HAL cheerleaders". One suggestion would be to arrange with the ship clergy for an at-sea burial ceremony for what HAL used to do and no longer does. Perhaps those at the Lido aft smoking tables could let you set up a little shrine for cremation of all things past.

Thanks for your review. I find HAL & Princess similar with major differences :rolleyes:.

The Lido Restaurant on Princess can be best described as herding cattle into an enclosed feeding tough and once your in it becomes bumper cars.

Entertainment in showroom better on Princess but early show requires you to get to showroom 35-40 minutes early to get a seat

I, too, was on the Eurodam last week for the 4 day Northwest Cruise and loved it. I have 31 cruises on HAL and 22 on Princess. I had not been on the Eurodam before but did sail on her sister ship the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010.

I thought the interior was lovely post dry dock. The new carpeting is quite up-to-date with warm colors and geometric shapes.

I was eager to see the Crow's Nest now renamed to Exploration Central (I think - I could be wrong about the exact name). The ambiance of this area is not the same as I remember it from other ships. There is the new emphasis on discovery with the large tables of interactive things such as the map of Victoria for this cruise. The EXC personnel are there to answer your questions about the ports visited. I did not see the selling of HAL tours as the main focus which is new.

There are modernistic small cubbyhole like bookcases with few books in each of them. The Explorations Café is combined with the bar and I think that arrangement does each one a disservice. Although I was not there when the bar was open to see how this set up works, it appears to me there is not enough space for both. I also did not see the pastries and sandwiches that I had come to love in the Exploration Cafes of other HAL ships.

There were chairs in the front so people could look out and enjoy the passing sea.

Food wise, I still think HAL offers the best breakfast choices in the Lido Market of any of the cruise lines. Lunch and dinner there not so much but a good salad will keep be going. I sailed with two friends and we tried the MDR once on Gala night. Forget it. Poor service and poor food and extremely small portions. The Tamarind was so outstanding that we ate there a second night. Perfect service and delicious food. Without even mentioning the fact that it was my friend's birthday, they presented him with a cake and the Indonesian birthday song. I guess they look at the manifest.

The draw of this cruise was of course, Victoria, Vancouver and the Inside Passage and none disappointed. We had lovely weather and Captain Scott was so pleased that the Eurodam was the largest ship to ever sail in one of the arms off the main passage.

I was surprised at the number of daytime activities - past experience on HAL was that there were virtually very few. Princess does have more as has been mentioned but for HAL I was quite impressed.

I had not really understood the Main Stage, Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard onboard, and BBKings concept of entertainment choices, but after this cruise I am now a fan. The quartet on the Lincoln Center Stage was fabulous; I wish I had gone to hear them more often and I agree with the OP that Planet Earth II in Concert is something not be missed.

Embarkation was prolonged because everyone had to complete the Canadian Immigration form at check in and disembarkation was a breeze. A wonderful cruise but too short.

........One suggestion would be to arrange with the ship clergy for an at-sea burial ceremony for what HAL used to do and no longer does. Perhaps those at the Lido aft smoking tables could let you set up a little shrine for cremation of all things past.

I would also be very happy to toss the new HAL website in to this HAL temps perdu funeral pyre. Madelines for everyone.

... When I was placing my order our server told me to order it without sauce because the sauce contained one of the items that I am allergic to. About 30 long minutes our main courses arrived and sure enough mine had sauce on it.

The waiter then tried to convince me that it was OK to eat what I was served. .

~italics in quote are mine~

I sincerely hope you will contact HAL about this. I am appalled that the waiter tried to convince you to eat something that contained a serious allergen.

~italics in quote are mine~

I sincerely hope you will contact HAL about this. I am appalled that the waiter tried to convince you to eat something that contained a serious allergen.

Do we know this as a fact?

Do we know this as a fact?

Whether or not this is a fact, I think for me the issue would be that first the waiter said it had an allergen, and then told her it was okay to eat it. Without more information, I would have lost trust in what the waiter said. If the server had said, “I asked, and found out that the sauce does not contain ingredient X” then that would have been different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm a reader also, but like most people, I also like a little variety. I don't want to have NO options.

I'm assuming by this comment that you're saying HAL has NO options. Wow... maybe you slept through most of you HAL cruises, because there are plenty of options on every HAL cruise we've taken!

That's a lovely old chestnut. Right up there with:

-- Children should be seen and not heard; and

-- Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Do you have an issue with any of these?:confused:

It's unfortunate that HAL doesn't see fit to match their interesting itineraries with some equally interesting onboard activities.

I would argue that you're wrong...once again, in that onboard activities are definitely available on HAL sailings. Does HAL offer rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys and the like... no, but that is exactly why most HAL cruisers love the brand. The cool thing is that if you prefer those 'onboard activities', there are certainly other choices.;)

I'm not sure why you would say this. The OP has no reason to mislead us. We really need to be more supportive of our c.c. members.

Okay, but CC members (and most other humans) tend to 'paint' their comments to reflect their personal agenda at the time.. hence all comments on CC need to be taken for a grain of salt, and since they are so subjective... should be questioned.

Whether or not this is a fact, I think for me the issue would be that first the waiter said it had an allergen, and then told her it was okay to eat it.

That's precisely your mistake here; when you veer off into conjecture, and what someone 'allegedly' said... i.e. the waiter in this case. One has to take these kinds of anecdodal accounts as pretty much a grain of salt, or dismiss them outright.

I do appreciate the OP's reviews. It's been awhile since I have sailed on a Princess Cruise. But, I am looking forward to my late 2018 Royal Princess sailing. Since I have been privileged to experience New Year's Eve on 3 HAL vessels, I am eagerly looking forward to the Princess version.

I'm assuming by this comment that you're saying HAL has NO options. Wow... maybe you slept through most of you HAL cruises, because there are plenty of options on every HAL cruise we've taken!

You are not taking my post in context. I was responding to the poster who suggested that, as a reader, they are never bored. I submit that you can only read for X many hours straight without wanting some change/variety.

Do you have an issue with any of these?:confused:

Yes, I do. I do not believe children should be beaten and I believe they should be encouraged to have conversations with adults.

You don't believe this? :confused:

I would argue that you're wrong...once again, in that onboard activities are definitely available on HAL sailings. Does HAL offer rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys and the like... no, but that is exactly why most HAL cruisers love the brand. The cool thing is that if you prefer those 'onboard activities', there are certainly other choices.;)

Sure, sure. I'm part of a HAL family for quite a long time. I have never, ever even once suggested HAL should have bowling alleys or rock climbing walls. Only that they offer less by way of daytime entertainment than they used to and than most of their closest competitors. Make of it what you will.

That's precisely your mistake here; when you veer off into conjecture, and what someone 'allegedly' said... i.e. the waiter in this case. One has to take these kinds of anecdodal accounts as pretty much a grain of salt, or dismiss them outright.

The perfect word - conjecture, follow-up posters veering off into conjecture while stating their newly added conjecture was absolute fact. Yes, it was necessary to stop the evolving "telephone game" of conjecture veering off the OP's reasonable dining concerns. Thank you for adding this high utility word to the discussion.

At-sea day "boredom" on HAL ships seems to be the repeated negative theme. And a desire for "game show" type daytime entertainment.

I went on the Eurodam over Christmas 2017 and she didn't feel crowdwd in any areas to me. I loved the sea days and was never bored, so much so I have just booked the 'Circle of Hawaii' on the Eurodam which has 10 sea days. I am quite happy to entertain myself. A good book and ipod usually do the trick whilst lying on a lounger. I defintely don't want loud entertainment whilst cruising. I'm not an old fuddy duddy either.

I have never, ever even once suggested HAL should have bowling alleys or rock climbing walls. Only that they offer less by way of daytime entertainment than they used to and than most of their closest competitors.

Of course you are absolutely right about this. Perhaps it's the cruisers who haven't been around HAL very long who don't recognize the tremendous decrease in daytime activities compared to what we used to have.

There was a time I was busy with offered activities from one end of the day to the other, with barely time for lunch. And many times there was more than one offering that I wanted to attend at the same time. It was choices!, choices!!, choices!!!

But sadly, that was a time when passengers were different, too. It isn't just HAL that has changed. That was when passengers wanted to get out of their cabins and meet new people. They wanted to participate in everything the ship had to offer, and not stay with the insular little group they already knew.

Yes, I do know this as a fact. I also reported it on the post cruise survey and also to my travel agent.

How did you authenticate this, which you did not put into your original post? My own quibble was not with your report - I think you did the best thing for yourself - exercise due caution and not eat the dish. Food allergies are not unknown to HAL staff and it now becomes the very first question we get asked in the dining room- how did you know you were not given a different non-offending version of the same sauce? Facts were missing in your original post..

However, the quibble was with the later 3P riff on your original post who was appalled the waiter expected you should consume a "serious allergen". Had you actually authenicated this in your orignal post, no problems. But it was the unrelated 3P "conjecture" about your original story and certainty about HAL negligence that started the later questioning.

I have no doubt that the OP was being straightforward. Nor do I have any reason to doubt her when the OP feels that the Princess cruise was superior to the HAL cruise. I also don't doubt that if the OP did another comparison with two ships in these cruise lines that that the opinion might be different. Inconsistency seems to be the only constant.

The only excption would be HAL's entertainment program....or lack thereof. I think that by now most people accept that as a given. Every cruise line has a few quirks.

The sad issue it seems is that some HAL boosters cannot accept the fact that for some, HAL is not at the top of the list. Their efforts to disprove this are something akin to splitting the atom. Opinions are never wrong and there are boosters on all cruise lines who fail to accept this. Shame...because I think that it precludes many people from posting comparative reports.

. . . The sad issue it seems is that some HAL boosters cannot accept the fact that for some, HAL is not at the top of the list. Their efforts to disprove this are something akin to splitting the atom. Opinions are never wrong and there are boosters on all cruise lines who fail to accept this. Shame...because I think that it precludes many people from posting comparative reports.
It's not just comparative reports. Some people don't want to post anything for fear of being attacked by the same bunch of posters. Someone was vilified on a thread the other day because she wrote that people on her cruise were older than those she had seen on other cruises. Unbelievable. I wouldn't blame her if she never returned to the HAL board. It certainly doesn't leave a good impression about the folks who cruise HAL.