tips

How come nobody tips Security, Don't the guys work too... How come their not in the tipping pool.??...Just Saying;p

Mike

Something I can never work out, why tip a waiter, a hairdresser, a bar tender etc, not the checkout girl, a lawyer, a doctor the server at mcDonalds etc

I get told it’s because some get paid well others don’t. So I guess I need to know what they get paid to determine if I need to tip or not.

One funny historical fact, many many years ago Barristers in England didn’t present a bill, they had a little pocket in the back of the gown and the client put in what they thought the services were worth.

Some thoughts on this thread and many others like this one which seem to lead to heated exchanges ...

If a very small number don't pay the auto gratuities or tip then it doesn't matter. Swings and roundabouts and there is no need for anyone to get excited about and the system remains as it is.

If a large number and an increasing number are opting out then there is a problem. The cruise lines will need to think again and change the system. Perhaps make the service charge mandatory, include in fare or come up with some other clever idea (collection tin at security on disembarkation :) ).

Whatever we think on CC makes little difference IMO.

Whether you're paying a higher price in London or Sydney without tipping or paying a lower price in New York or Toronto with a tip it all evens out. Don't get what the big deal is.

Completely agree with you

Even if Royal Caribbean increases the tip to 30 USD per day or the percentage to 30%, the same people will still be happy and willing to pay the increased tips.

Just wondering what is your limit to the amount that RCCL is charging for the daily gratuities?

Sorry i'm late guys. What did I miss? i'll just cover everything so i'm all caught up in the arguements.

I remove gratuities and dont tip extra, wear shorts on formal night. Hate kids on my cruise, love service animals being on board. I'm rude to staff and hog the elivator while wheelchairs are waiting to use it. I like to hog sun loungers even though i'm never at the pool and I use my hands to pick at food at the buffet. Hot tubs are lovely, perfect alternative to toilet paper ;)

Think thats everything hahaha

You completely left out all the smoking issues as well as the nickle and diming that is occurring on the ships.

Best advise: Just do what you want and keep it to yourself....;)

Everything from and in the US is a mine-field these days!:rolleyes:

I don't know, seems to be fine for me.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I told you I wasn't an actuary! :D

I am time poor and don't feel like spending hours working out what the true cost of administering gratuities is. However, whatever that cost it is likely to have been removed by the cruise line prior to dividing up the tips for crew! If the cruise line actuaries have done the calculation, I think $4.50 is probably a bit light on!

To me a fair wage represents an amount (without any form of tips or bonus) that can not be diminished at either the customer's or the cruise line's whim and is considered acceptable to the employee for the work contracted!

Cheers

Fair enough. Now, how do you know that the crew doesn't consider the current situation to be a fair wage?

Note: your or my personal preferences on the correct method of how the crew should be compensated are irrelevant. That's between the line and the crew.

It would accomplish everyone paying the recommended tips and no-one being able to wiggle out of it !

You and others are assuming that an increase in $15 PPPD would provide an equivalent wage to the crew. You and others are assuming the crew would prefer your preferred solution.

Most studies of the effect of replacing tips with an increase in wages have concluded that servers, management, and customers have found the new system to be inferior and prefer the tipping culture.

You and others are assuming that an increase in $15 PPPD would provide an equivalent wage to the crew. You and others are assuming the crew would prefer your preferred solution.

Most studies of the effect of replacing tips with an increase in wages have concluded that servers, management, and customers have found the new system to be inferior and prefer the tipping culture.

I wonder who actually gave those answers.

What studies? Were these studies of the common restaurant model, or were they cruise ship-specific? Cruise ships operate on a very different model than waiters in restaurants. Can you provide references so that we can learn more about these studies?

What studies? Were these studies of the common restaurant model, or were they cruise ship-specific? Cruise ships operate on a very different model than waiters in restaurants. Can you provide references so that we can learn more about these studies?

These studies have focused upon land based restaurants because there have been few attempts to change compensation on cruise ships. What makes you think cruise ships are so significantly different that there would be a difference?

The studies are there and google should find them.

These studies have focused upon land based restaurants because there have been few attempts to change compensation on cruise ships. What makes you think cruise ships are so significantly different that there would be a difference?

The studies are there and google should find them.

Several things:

When someone eats at a restaurant, they typically won't go back to that same restaurant 7 days in a row.

A restaurant-based waiter doesn't live in the restaurant, nor do they have their room and board provided by their employer.

At a land-based restaurant, the customer usually doesn't engage in as much small talk with the waiter as they would on a cruise ship. They don't get to know the waiter as is often the case on a cruise ship.

While a waiter at a land-based restaurant might have other duties than waiting tables, they typically don't also serve people at breakfast and lunch that aren't directly tipping them, as is the case on a cruise ship.

A waiter at a land-based restaurant doesn't usually (or ever?) sign a multi-month contract of employment with their employer.

I'm sure there's other significant differences, but that's all I could think of at the moment.

I would search for these studies, but I doubt I'd find any that address the cruise ship model, which is vastly different than the land-based restaurant model.

Several things:

When someone eats at a restaurant, they typically won't go back to that same restaurant 7 days in a row.

A restaurant-based waiter doesn't live in the restaurant, nor do they have their room and board provided by their employer.

At a land-based restaurant, the customer usually doesn't engage in as much small talk with the waiter as they would on a cruise ship. They don't get to know the waiter as is often the case on a cruise ship.

While a waiter at a land-based restaurant might have other duties than waiting tables, they typically don't also serve people at breakfast and lunch that aren't directly tipping them, as is the case on a cruise ship.

A waiter at a land-based restaurant doesn't usually (or ever?) sign a multi-month contract of employment with their employer.

I'm sure there's other significant differences, but that's all I could think of at the moment.

I would search for these studies, but I doubt I'd find any that address the cruise ship model, which is vastly different than the land-based restaurant model.

I really don't see that any of those differences are germane to the compensation models.

There are simply those who have a personal distaste for the tipping compensation model without consideration of what the servers prefer.

I really don't see that any of those differences are germane to the compensation models.

There are simply those who have a personal distaste for the tipping compensation model without consideration of what the servers prefer.

I think all of those (and probably a lot more) are very relevant in judging how the servers might feel about different models. To each their own.

Is it really that relevant how the servers feel about it?:confused:

Shouldn't it be all about - how the client wants to spend his money?(y)

Since the servers are the ones working for a compensation, their wishes are most relevant.

I find it amusing all the discussion about wanting to do something for the servers yet no one seems to realize that the servers may not want your help.