Favorite Ship

CruiseMob

I was reading a thread where someone commented that Nieuw Amsterdam was a nice ship, but not their favorite. It got me wondering. What is your favorite HAL ship and why?

I feel like my response is inadequate because I've only sailed on 3 HAL ships, but I'll give it a go anyway. :D

We did enjoy the Nieuw Amsterdam especially the Tamarind. But we really enjoyed the Westerdam and would count it as the favorite. The size of the ship just seemed perfect for us.

I have only sailed Maasdam and Veendam and have spent a day on Amsterdam so for what it's worth, I love Maasdam. I am eager to try ships of the other classes (Zuiderdam, my first Vista, is next) but then we have three more weeks on Maasdam next year. Based on what I've seen on this board, talking with other pax while sailing, and occasionally reading a couple people's blogs, I am particularly interested in trying Nieuw Amsterdam and either Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam. And Prinsendam has some pretty nifty itineraries. We do sail for itinerary rather than ship and have pretty basic requirements for what we need out of our cabin; we just happen to have landed on Maasdam quite a bit.

I have sailed Masdam about 35 crises so have to say you made a good choice. :0 IMO

Actually I have sailed all HAL ships multiple cruises except for Prinsendam and K dam.

I love the S-Class ships, pre-re-design. My first cruise was on the Veendam in 1998, so that vintage. I have not sailed on her since the re-do and do not really want to.

In the current fleet, the Eurodam, pre-Explorations Central is my favorite. I would be perfectly happy if they kept this design/layout for all new builds. I do not like the Explorations Central changes, as it leaves empty wasted space on Deck 1 and puts far too much activity up in the Crow's Nest.

I love the S-Class ships, pre-re-design. My first cruise was on the Veendam in 1998, so that vintage. I have not sailed on her since the re-do and do not really want to.

In the current fleet, the Eurodam, pre-Explorations Central is my favorite. I would be perfectly happy if they kept this design/layout for all new builds. I do not like the Explorations Central changes, as it leaves empty wasted space on Deck 1 and puts far too much activity up in the Crow's Nest.

IMO Explorations are best on Maasdam and Noordam.

S. S. Rotterdam V

My first cruise experience in 1970; my traveling companion and I chose her after considering many others: North German Lloyd's Bremen was the runner-up followed by Grace Line's Santa Rosa or Santa Paula. We seriously considered Commodore Cruise Line's Boheme as well which is still sailing, interestingly. I have long wondered: if we had not chosen Rotterdam V, what would our cruise experience have been? Would I still be a cruising aficionado?

I prefer the S-class and R-class, and wish I could afford the EE , but Ryndam was my favorite because she was the nautical-theme ship (I raced sailboats when I was younger and still sign up for rides on tall ships when they are visiting my area). She had magnificent ship models that I could happily spend HOURS examining. She had displays of vintage instruments -- sextants and charting devices like dividers and compasses, etc, etc -- and beautiful paintings. I only wish I knew where all of those artifacts went when she was transferred.

I've sailed on all the ships of the current fleet, with the exception of the Koningsdam, plus four HAL ships that are no longer with the line.

Of all of them, the Rotterdam V remains my favorite. She was special, with a unified décor that carried a theme from the highest to lowest decks. The panels separating the forward staircases was one continuous piece of art.

Even the signs for the public restrooms were art. She was quite the ship.

But of the current fleet, I would have to say the Prinsendam is my favorite. She, too, was beautifully designed, with well thought out touches. The atmosphere on that ship lets you know that you are special, and everything will be taken care of for you.

Prinsendam. Small and friendly, the best location for Canaletto in the fleet, walk in closets, every changing itineraries, short waits for tendering. She's a gem.

I'll agree with RuthC. I've sailed on 5 HAL ships that are no longer in the fleet and the Rotterdam V will always have a special place in my heart. The wonderful Ritz Carlton night club, the great movie theater, a great merging of ocean liner and cruise ship.

Although we haven’t been on every ship in the fleet, we have sailed on every class.

Our favourite was the Maasdam but now it’s the Koningsdam.

We agree with the posters who said “the next ship”. :D

I am especially enjoying the answers from long time HAL cruisers. This is a neat thread!

We have only sailed on 3 HAL ships, with the Zuiderdam being our favorite, but that may have been because we had our first (and only) Neptune corner suite and had an amazing itinerary. We'll be on the Veendam for the second time in a few days, back in a lower promenade ocean view which we really enjoyed last time.