Copy of passport for ID?

I just noticed on John Heald's FB page asking a poll about what do you use for ID to get back onto the ship Either a Passport/Copy of Passport or Photo ID.

Are you allowed to use a copy of a passport to get through port security? We always brought our passports, but are always nervous in case it gets lost. If we could just bring a copy of the passport and leave the original on the boat that would be much better.

I asked this question on the poll, but I received both no's and yes's.

oh boy. here we go again. The do you take your passport or not question. I give you a preview of the answers.....there will be a group of folks who say to leave it in the safe. There will be another group that takes it with them. Neither side will change the other sides mind. and after many posts you will be no closer to the answer then you are now.

For the record...mine is always in my pocket whenever i am outside of the country. No exceptions, but that is just me.

Just bring your DL....that's more than sufficient if you need to show ID to get into the port area. The ship only requires your room key....You should always have ID on your person, wherever you go, anyway.

Leave the passport on the ship....the DL is the same size as your ship's card. Easy-peezy!

No idea, but I can tell you I have been to over 20 ports and have never been asked to show an ID. Only my S&S card. I have no idea why Carnival always tells people they will need an ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cozumel. I always have to show ID with S&S card before entering that gift shop going back to the boat.

I just noticed on John Heald's FB page asking a poll about what do you use for ID to get back onto the ship Either a Passport/Copy of Passport or Photo ID.

Are you allowed to use a copy of a passport to get through port security? We always brought our passports, but are always nervous in case it gets lost. If we could just bring a copy of the passport and leave the original on the boat that would be much better.

to answer your question it is a big definite no.

Bakersdozen, you sure you sail Carnival? Our ID is always checked at the port entrance before getting to the ship. The ship never asks for ID, except S&S. They may not really look at it very intently but they do ask to have S&S and photo ID ready.

For MANY years and cruises on various cruise lines we've taken a COPY of our passports on port stops as our Photo ID without a problem. (y)

Cozumel. I always have to show ID with S&S card before entering that gift shop going back to the boat.

Same with San Juan at the security checkpoint at the pier (last time we were there, though it have have changed since).

oh boy. here we go again. The do you take your passport or not question. I give you a preview of the answers.....there will be a group of folks who say to leave it in the safe. There will be another group that takes it with them. Neither side will change the other sides mind. and after many posts you will be no closer to the answer then you are now.

For the record...mine is always in my pocket whenever i am outside of the country. No exceptions, but that is just me.

And us as well.

No idea, but I can tell you I have been to over 20 ports and have never been asked to show an ID. Only my S&S card. I have no idea why Carnival always tells people they will need an ID.

Cozumel and St. Thomas once checked cards and IDs. It hasn't happened at Cozumel recently and I haven't been to St. Thomas for a while.

At Nassau they asked for ID/Passport before you go through and get onto the ship.

Places where ID really matters will not accept a do it yourself copy of an ID. They will only accept an authorized copy, just as Carnival requires an authorized copy of a birth certificate for a child. They will not accept a do it yourself copy. (at least that is what the rules are. whether or not every person follows the rules remains to be seen)

But, there are no authorized copies of passports so a copy would be worthless in any place that a real passport is required for ID.

To answer your question, yes a copy of your passport is fine. We always keep our passport locked safely away in our cabin safe. I’ve heard too many stories of people being robbed and having their passports stolen. I’m terrified of being stuck in a foreign country with no passport. If it’s left on the ship they can always send it to you. If it’s stolen you’re going to be in a bad situation. If you have a copy with you they will often work with you. We’ve never needed the copy though. We just bring along our drivers license. Security at the port has never asked us for a passport. But we’ve just done mostly Caribbean cruises where a passport isn’t a big deal. But they have asked for a photo ID (at numerous ports) to prove that you’re the owner of the S&S card.

Think of it this way would a bank clerk accept a copy of a driver's license as proof of identity? Would a school accept a copy of a student ID as proof of being allowed in the classroom? Would your employer accept a copy of your passport (without seeing the original) as proof of citizenship for your I-9?

SO why could you think in this day and age of photoshop would a foreign government official accept a copy of anything as proof of your ID. As others have said take whatever smaller, less costly, or more convenient form of government issued photo ID (DL, military, non-driver's ID,etc) you have that matches the name on you ship's card.

Also be aware there are some Caribbean ports that do require you to have a passport to return to the secured port area (Martinique comes to mind) if you leave on your own (as opposed to a port authorized tour group). But it was clearly noted on the guard station in both French and English before you left the area.

We always carry our passports into any foreign ports for one simple reason. If by some strange twist of faith we miss the boat, I want to be sure I have ID to get out of whatever county I am in and back into the states! If my passport is locked away in the safe and sails away without me, it doesn't do me a bit of good. Waiting for someone to send it from the ship doesn't seem like a quick solution. ID to get back on board has never been much of an issue and copies may work fine but I don't like the possible implications that a copy will have.

I've been asked for id in Nassau, St Maarten, San Juan, Port Everglades, POM, Castries, Cartagena, and numerous other ports.

That wasn't quite my question. My question was is a copy of the passport sufficient enough.

No. A copy is not valid. Nor is an expired passport.

You don't need a passport.

Without exception a copy of a passport is not acceptable anywhere ID is needed. In a foreign country your driver's license can sometimes be used to drive a car, but cannot ever be used for exit or entry at the frontier.

That little steel box in your stateroom is about as safe as the button on a trouser pocket. You might as well have your passport with you in a foreign country. Should real authorities ask for ID (as opposed to the mall cops at most ports) you will be on your way faster than explaining why you only have a copy or other unacceptable form of ID like a birth certificate or a driver's license.

When you leave the USA, "you are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy". You need to carry your passport.

They’re checking to see if your photo/name matches the ship card. Will a copy work? Maybe, depends on the port, agent and that days security level.

We’ve had a passport copy used as ID in Rome. (Not at the port of Civitecchia)

The only reason to have a copy of your passport (and an electronic version counts) is that the State Department will accept it as proof of citizenship in the event something happens to your passport. The copy itself is not an ID per se, although I could see some security people accepting it. As I recall every port requires a photo ID to re-enter the port area.

As for the other debate:

I am not overly concerned about being in a foreign country without a passport, I've been in dozens over the years without one before.

I am not overly concerned about having anything lost or stolen.

I am not overly concerned about missing the ship.

I don't like carrying around things that I don't need to be carrying, so unless I need to have my passport with me (i.e. for a ship's excursion or because of local law) I leave it in the safe.

Interesting . And after many cruises and foreign ports with no problems, mine is always locked up in my safe.

You don’t need it on the islands and don’t need it to get back on the ship so I’d rather not take a chance to have it lost or stolen so we never take it with us. But I never considered taking a copy which I will consider with the only intent being in case we get stranded.

In our travels we have been asked for photo i.d as well as our sail and sign card in a few ports. We keep our passports in the safe on the ship but carry a photo copy of our passports and we bring along our health cards ( govt issued with photo). Copy of the passport in case god forbid something happens and we miss the ship, it can help expedite getting a replacement.

Ive never tried to use a copy of my passport as photo ID; however, I have been asked for photo ID at many ports over the years. Common sense is that a copy is mostly worthless, unless someone official is using the number from it to look your passport up and verify its validity.

We use our driver’s license for photo ID in port in the Caribbean. Yes, I realize I can’t board a plane with that. But on the islands I’ve never had anyone have an issue taking that as photo ID.

I’m really not worried about carrying my passport in port.

1. If any emergency occurs and I have to fly home, someone from my party will return to the ship to pick up valuables and as much luggage as they can handle. The passports can be retrieved then.

2. I’ve never come close to missing the ship and have no plans to. Yes, something crazy can happen. But you won’t be stranded without a passport. Had a friend whose passport was stolen while on a trip to France. No issues with getting it replaced. And at the point I miss the ship, the costs and stresses and inconveniences are high enough that dealing with the passport isn’t going to be the biggest problem.

3. I do know that I NEED my passport when we disembark. And if my passport was stolen in port and I didn’t have it, while I am sure I would eventually get home, it could cause me to miss my flight.

My personal risk tolerance is that number 3 is much more concerning to me that number 2.