Wrist bands

rob6465

Heard we might switch from sail cards to wrist bands? If yes, when and what ships?

At the moment, Princess is the only cruise line under the Carnival umbrella that is testing the wrist bands. There are no plans in the immediate future to bring them to the Carnival cruise line. This topic comes up about every six weeks or so on John Heald's Facebook page. And every time it does, two-thirds (or more) of the people responding say "NO!" to wristbands. No doubt, there will be several on here that will say "It's going to happen. It's just a matter of time." Wristbands might be fine for an amusement park, but I can see no benefit to changing from the S&S cards to wristbands for a cruise ship.

Most people on the Regal Princess have been wearing them as necklaces instead of their ship cards on lanyards. You can still opt for a traditional ship card if you’re in an Ocean Medallion stateroom... just make sure your steward is aware the Medallion isn’t with you or your room may be skipped that day. ;)

I personally wouldn’t use it and opt to use my plastic hard-tickets when visiting the theme parks that pioneered Ocean Medallion.

Let me start by stating I have not sailed on Princess, but have heard from online "friends" that have. Only 1 has encountered the new ocean medallion, as not all Princess ships have the system yet (still testing). According to them it is not a wristband but a belt/waistband clip on, that you can choose to purchase a necklace or bracelet to wear it on. The medallion once issued is good cruise after cruise (at least on ships w/ the system), because it can be reprogrammed at each new check-in.

Not saying wrist bands are the answer but aren’t cards kind of a thing of the past when you stop and think about it.

For example, Hilton allows you to use your phone app as the room key.

I see some kind of electronic means replacing the cards but not sure what that is yet

Hi

Not being at al familiar with these bands, except for the ones issues at A.I. or parks, do these also replace your room key for entry to cabins. If so, I could see it as possibly more convenient. If it a tracking device, I can also see how people would be hesitant. Either way, if this can save the companies money, you can be sure it will eventually happen everywhere.

thanks

They definitely will move away from swiping cards to some sort of RFID system whether it is wristbands, pendants or just a card with RFID. It will take years to retrofit all the ships to handle the new technology.

Let me start by stating I have not sailed on Princess, but have heard from online "friends" that have. Only 1 has encountered the new ocean medallion, as not all Princess ships have the system yet (still testing). According to them it is not a wristband but a belt/waistband clip on, that you can choose to purchase a necklace or bracelet to wear it on. The medallion once issued is good cruise after cruise (at least on ships w/ the system), because it can be reprogrammed at each new check-in.

Assuming one remembers to bring it on the next cruise.

Some of you people have some weird ideas about how this kind of tech works and what it can do. If you've ever been to Disney and used one of their Magic Bands, you'd know how much more convenient it is over the keycard system. It's not cheaper to make, so unless the cruise-lines could find a way to make money off it like Disney does, it's not going to happen.

Some of you people have some weird ideas about how this kind of tech works and what it can do. If you've ever been to Disney and used one of their Magic Bands, you'd know how much more convenient it is over the keycard system. It's not cheaper to make, so unless the cruise-lines could find a way to make money off it like Disney does, it's not going to happen.

I've been to Disney, have used their Magic Bands (have two in a drawer at home, and can't stand them. Same RFID tech can be put into a card or almost any other format.

Obviously Carnival Corporation thinks they can make money off if it since it is being rolled out (albeit slowly) on Princess.

Ocean Medallion was designed to be installed during a two-week dry dock (as is Funship 2.0), so the earliest Carnival Cruise Line could expect a complete rollout is 2023 - and that assumes Panorama deploys it at launch and Splendor gets it during her next dry dock in 2019, neither of which are likely.

Translation: "revenue management teams" means more money for the company

Not sure i would agree it means more money foe the company, at least initially. What they do is track you ur every movement, time spent there etc.