Cabin Dryness - Looking for Solutions

LD Silver

The least few cruises I have been on it seems after a few days the air in the cabin becomes extremely dry and I snore terribly at night. It's so bad I wake myself up. As soon as I go home, the snoring stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can't imagine that the air anywhere on the ship is dry. If you think it is dry and are in a balcony open the door. I suspect though that the problem is more related to fluid retention due to excess salt in the food.

The least few cruises I have been on it seems after a few days the air in the cabin becomes extremely dry and I snore terribly at night. It's so bad I wake myself up. As soon as I go home, the snoring stops.

Wear earplugs. Seriously. You won't be awakened by your snoring.

I watched a cruise video where the entertainers blamed dry, air conditioned air for their voice problems. The cruise ship doctor agreed. The were treated with a mist delivered by a nebulizer, don't if any medication was added.

I do think interior spaces on ships can be dry, plus there are often upper respiratory illnesses associated with travel - either from the plane (if using air travel) or on board. Since it doesn't continue once you are home, it might be an allergen from detergents, other pax perfumes, etc. An anti-histamine/allergy pill might help, but check with your doctor first in case you have any contraindications and be cautious mixing with alcohol.

Drinking more water during the day might help along with increasing vitamin C intake (fruit, juices, or bring tablets with you).

Breathe Right strips can help with snoring and are a fairly inexpensive temporary solution. If you can elevate your head at all that should help too. I agree with the suggestions for ear plugs, too:)

I can't imagine that the air anywhere on the ship is dry. If you think it is dry and are in a balcony open the door. I suspect though that the problem is more related to fluid retention due to excess salt in the food.

Please don't keep the balcony door open for extended periods of time - it messes with the a/c for nearby cabins.

Yes i find the cabins dry also can be the A/C

They have small travel size humidifiers

I usually put the ice bucket with the lid off on the table & it seems to help

or hang a damp towel on a hanger on the door or closet door depending on the location

it does work

Ship's AC takes out literally tons of condensate every day (a ship like Oasis, in hot weather, would probably collect 200-300 tons of water from the air handlers). Yes, the air is relatively low in humidity, and this is why the "cruise crud" becomes so prevalent, your sinus membranes dry out and allow bacteria and viruses in. Try using a saline nasal spray just before bed. I recommend this for anyone who seems susceptible to URI during or after cruising.

Ship's AC takes out literally tons of condensate every day (a ship like Oasis, in hot weather, would probably collect 200-300 tons of water from the air handlers). Yes, the air is relatively low in humidity, and this is why the "cruise crud" becomes so prevalent, your sinus membranes dry out and allow bacteria and viruses in. Try using a saline nasal spray just before bed. I recommend this for anyone who seems susceptible to URI during or after cruising.

Great tip! I haven't seen this suggested before but think I will add to the toiletries bag since we usually have a little extra space.

If you think it is dry and are in a balcony open the door.

No, do not open the balcony door. Multiple rooms are on the same air exchange system and the will be affected by the outdoor air coming into your room. Others who do not want warmer, moister air in their rooms may not appreciate this.

In addition, leaving the balcony door open disrupts the air pressure in the room created by the air conditioning system, which will cause air to rush into the room from the hallway when you open your door and will cause the door to slam shut.

What a great tip :). Saline spray has also been a staple for many who spend a lot of time flying. It is only with the newest aircraft like the 787...where the airline manufacturers have started paying attention to cabin humidity.

Hank

Most ships are overly air conditioned - if you stay indoors 24/7 you will experience a much drier environment than your system is used to at home. Just a loop around the promenade deck before going to bed - and not keeping your cabin A/C at its coldest will make a big difference.

Saline spray works well for me...I also bring a small travel humidifier that uses a small water bottle...this works great..got it on Amazon. DH doesn't need to worry his CPAP machine has a water tank.

I've learned to take my ceramic neti pot EVERYWHERE and use it before bed every damned night. Once I started using it, we took an overseas trip and I didn't want to carry a breakable object. Got the WORST cold ever. Now it's ALWAYS with me. There are also plastic ones, and I've had to use them, but just don't like them as well. But let it be said, when a ceramic neti pot hits a sink, the sink wins. Always. But irrigating the nasal passages is a no-brainer for my health.

The A/C systems on modern cruise ships are very effective at lowering both the temperature and relative humidity(RH). Low RH can cause some health issues - itch eyes, dry skin and irritated sinuses & throat. This results in increased potential for colds/flu.

To combat the low RH, we use a variety of methods - DW uses a moisture CPAP, we use nose sprays morning and evening, spend at least a couple of hours per day in the open air. If really bad we will hang a damp towel from the A/C register.

We do not keep the balcony door open, as it negatively impacts many cabins and is a very short term solution. It is better to actually sit out on the balcony, closing the door.

A small smear of vaseline over the nostrils before going to bed; damp washing in the shower (helps freshen up tee shirts etc and dries them up overnight!) and turning the shower on cold for 2-3 minutes when returning to the cabin after dinner. No cabin cough on our last 3 cruises by using this regime.