Opinions on Western Caribbean Itineraries

I’m comparing two different 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries (for a family of four with 2 young children). Being new to several of these ports, I could use the input of the experts!

Option 1: Harmony (Ocean View Balcony) from Port Canaveral with stops in Coco Cay (post perfect day rollout), Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel.

Option 2: Independence (Large Aft Ocean View Balcony) from Ft Lauderdale with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee.

We have never been to Coco Cay, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya or Roatan. We loved Labadee. Never been on either ship but did go on Oasis last month and love it (though my 5 year old daughter did look over at Liberty’s Splashaway Bay when we were docked next to it in Cozumel and have the nerve to tell me Liberty was a better ship, so I’m sure the kids would like Independence too!)

Any thoughts comparing these two scenarios would be sincerely appreciated! Thank You!

I'd take number 1. Roatan over Falmouth any day.

Same here, would take Roatan any day of the week over Falmouth.

I love CocoCay! While not as big as Labadee, it is an awesome beach day!

Cozumel, if you want a great beach day, go to Paradise Beach. Super clean and they have an amazing pool. Food is reasonable. 2 chairs/umbrella is $6 and they want you to spend $10. Don't know how old your kids are but for $18 pp you can play on the water toys all day

Thanks for all the input thus far!

I agree on our last trip we didn’t love Falmouth. That would likely be a ship day for us (which is fine by me-I loved our ship time in port last trip).

So I guess what it boils down to for port comparisons would be having Grand Cayman on Option 2 as opposed to having both Costa Maya and Roatan on Option 1. I don’t really know much about any of these ports, though the fact that Grand Cayman is a tender port seems more inconvenient to me. Any additional thoughts on these port comparisons appreciated! Thank you!

I'd pick #1 as well. I have been to Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. We did completely different excursions on each. Tendering was not an issue at Grand Cayman. However, we did Maya Chan at Costa Maya and this was my favorite day by far. I also really want to get onto Harmony one of these days. So, I would also choose that itinerary for the ship. I am excited for a first trip to Labadee that is coming up, but I also admit that I am extremely intrigued with the Coco Cay plans (especially with kids myself). So, overall, #1 would win for our family.

Option 1: Harmony (Ocean View Balcony) from Port Canaveral with stops in Coco Cay (post perfect day rollout), Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel.

Option 2: Independence (Large Aft Ocean View Balcony) from Ft Lauderdale with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth and Labadee.

If I was booking today I would do option 2. I'm not keen on being the test dummy. (regular dummy is fine) I may end up loving option 1, but as of yet, nobody has any experience with an Oasis class at Coco Cay and what the new coco cay will be like.

On second thought, I recommend option 1 and want to hear what you have to say so when I consider it, I'll know. ;) I'd heard scuba is great at Roatan, so I might lean that way and just enjoy whatever happens.

Gatordad...after following many of your posts and reviewing your last review, I would say you have to do Harmony. IIRC, PC is closer to home for you. Perfect day in Coco Cay seems like a really nice thing to check out for the kids. You loved Oasis, and Costa Maya is beautiful! Cozumel can be a beach day or it's also lovely with the kids just to walk around downtown, do some shopping and eating. We were just there in December with our kids. Harmony, hands down. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DW and I agonized over our next cruise.. I wanted Harmony, she wanted another ship.. While she was out of town I booked Harmony with this itinerary.. Looking forward to sailing and DW is too lol

option 1 as most everyone else has said. not that 2 is bad but Harmony has a lot more to offer for the kids and i could go the rest of my cruising life without ever going to Falmoth again, quiet ship day for sure is i'm forced to it lol. That being said, Cayman is beautiful. Kids would love the sea turtle farm.

OK it’s (virtually) unanimous! I knew Option 1 was probably better for us just by looking at them, but not knowing about the new ports or Freedom class, I was interested to hear the expert opinions in case the Independence option had bonuses I didn’t know about.

I keep trying to talk myself into the longer drive to Fort Lauderdale for a different (less expensive) option, but when I factor in travel convenience with the kids and overall ship experience, the savings aren’t great enough to justify the drive. At least not for the options I’ve looked at so far.

I’ll keep an eye on both itineraries and if RC makes a crazy offer I can’t refuse on Independence during the next KSF promo, I’d still book it, but I’ve pretty much decided to make the Harmony trip work for all the reasons you all mentioned. We loved the Oasis so much and I know we’ll love Harmony even if it means squeezing all of us in a standard room.

Thank you all for the input-much appreciated!

Gatordad...YOLO Book it! Before the price jumps higher...

The price went higher today as the double up sale went away! But I’ve been watching prices long enough to know they will fluctuate & go down again since it’s still 17 months out. I just hope they go low enough I can get connecting rooms or a junior suite! ;) But if not, I’ve got a mental picture of us all in that room and it works!

Fear not...it’ll be booked soon-way before the masses start looking at a November 2019 trip...I’m pretty sure Option 1 will be next fall’s vacation! Thanks for your input!

The price went higher today as the double up sale went away! But I’ve been watching prices long enough to know they will fluctuate & go down again since it’s still 17 months out. I just hope they go low enough I can get connecting rooms or a junior suite! ;) But if not, I’ve got a mental picture of us all in that room and it works!

Fear not...it’ll be booked soon-way before the masses start looking at a November 2019 trip...I’m pretty sure Option 1 will be next fall’s vacation! Thanks for your input!

Can't wait for the next Gatordad review! First one was a great read! You will love Harmony. Sailed her 10 long months ago. 9 months till I go back [emoji4]

Can't wait for the next Gatordad review! First one was a great read! You will love Harmony. Sailed her 10 long months ago. 9 months till I go back [emoji4]

Thank you for the kind words! We will be on Oasis this November with a large family group then again for Spring Break 2019, so we will be pros by the time Nov 2019 rolls around! ;)

I doubt I’d do such a lengthy review next time around but will definitely share anything helpful I come across in our travels!

Enjoy Harmony while she’s still down south-I know you will!

Thank you for the kind words! We will be on Oasis this November with a large family group then again for Spring Break 2019, so we will be pros by the time Nov 2019 rolls around! ;)

I doubt I’d do such a lengthy review next time around but will definitely share anything helpful I come across in our travels!

Enjoy Harmony while she’s still down south-I know you will!

Awesome! I'll make sure to look out for your reviews.

And yes, I have to fly either way, and I prefer to fly to FLL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums