Who would you have picked for NS Godmother?

haladdict

BUT... did not her son leave HAL and go ? The competition??

To Celebrity?

I sailed with Mark twice. last was on Nieuw Amsterdam. He left HAL not long after

I don't want to repeat rumors that I do not know to be true but as is common, there were rumors.

Then why bring up that which you admit you do not know to be true?

That, and it seems like a swipe at "inferior" cruise lines more than anything else.:o

I said Nothing about inferior cruise line, Please do not claim I did.

I said 'the competition' Thanks in advance for your correction or apology. "Fake News " :D

I said Nothing about inferior cruise line, Please do not claim I did.

I said 'the competition' Thanks in advance for your correction or apology. "Fake News " :D

To the HAL devout,they're the same thing.:rolleyes:

To the HAL devout,they're the same thing.:rolleyes:

There are few around these days who have been more HAL loyal than me. ;) well over 100 cruises and I've lost track of days but I have had Platinum Medallion for years. :eek:

Howev r that is not the point. While Heidi is delightfully lovely and her DH was once a much respected HAL hotel manager, as was then their title. Her son was a HM, hotel director un til h e went to Celebrity. if I am remembering clearly, sorry if not.

Edited by sail7seas

There are few who have been more HAL loyal than me. ;) well over 100 cruises and I've lost track of days but I have had Platinum Medallion for years. :eek:

That's nice:rolleyes:

There are one or two here who think they are "influencers" and that HAL is going to listen to what they have to say. Yeah right.

The godmother for the NS was probably chosen some time ago,but they waited to announce it,knowing the diehards would have a problem with Oprah(and judging by the posts both here and on the Facebook, they were right to do so.)

There are few around these days who have been more HAL loyal than me. ;) well over 100 cruises and I've lost track of days but I have had Platinum Medallion for years. :eek:

Howev r that is not the point. While Heidi is delightfully lovely and her DH was once a much respected HAL hotel manager, as was then their title. Her son was a HM, hotel director un til h e went to Celebrity. if I am remembering clearly, sorry if not.

Mark left Celebrity and works now out of the office in Miami for MSC, according to his mother Heidi Zeller.

There are one or two here who think they are "influencers" and that HAL is going to listen to what they have to say. Yeah right.

The godmother for the NS was probably chosen some time ago,but they waited to announce it,knowing the diehards would have a problem with Oprah(and judging by the posts both here and on the Facebook, they were right to do so.)

This designation was probably part of the "O" franchising deal. There is no proof yet that "O" earned any special place in the HAL story, besides all the current self-promotinal marketing hype. I am still trying to figure out the HAL link to the Olson Twins. Anyone who can help with that lingering oddity?

Here is the best I could find from a Vanity Fair article about a former program called "Cruising with the Stars" featuring the Olson Twins. Trying to go for the youth market I gather. However, no mention in the article about Holland America Line and only a passing reference to the Maasdam, which is curious since the Olson Twins are godmothers to the Zaandam. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/09/mary-kate-and-ashley-olsen-super-fan-cruise

Speaking for myself, In No way do I consider anything I say to be of influence, just about any where to anyone. Nor do I wish to . But the subject matter of this thread is who would we wish to be NS Godmother.

HAL,in their infinite wisdom(or not, if you're a diehard and hate anything new and modern)made Oprah the godmother.I appreciate the sentiment and there have been some good suggestions..but there are a lot of sour grapes in this thread.

HAL,in their infinite wisdom(or not, if you're a diehard and hate anything new and modern)made Oprah the godmother.I appreciate the sentiment and there have been some good suggestions..but there are a lot of sour grapes in this thread.

Nothing wrong with avoiding partisan political taint when going on vacations, that we pay for. I won't cruise on a Jane Fonda ship either.

Sour grapes you say? I can't wait for them to start offering Oprah's wine selection of the day in the Pinnacle Grill ;p

I asked this in the other Oprah thread, but I'll go ahead and ask it here. How is Oprah political?

Let the POLITICO website explain this to you, and in her own words. Then fast forward to the recent hype about her Academy Awards or some other media industry award speech where she was touted as the Democrat candidate for the 2020 POTUS race. She spent a little too much time equivocating about this possibility. The lady is political, and she is very publicly partisan in her politics: https://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/oprah-winfrey-politics-095413 This was her choice to include this partisan political hype in her calculated public persona. Not good for the tourism business however.

Let the POLITICO website explain this to you, and in her own words. Then fast forward to the recent hype about her Academy Awards or some other media industry award speech where she was touted as the Democrat candidate for the 2020 POTUS race. She spent a little too much time equivocating about this possibility. The lady is political, and she is very publicly partisan in her politics: https://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/oprah-winfrey-politics-095413 This was her choice to include this partisan political hype in her calculated public persona. Not good for the tourism business however.
The Golden Globes hype was set up by the media. I don't think it's fair to blame Oprah for that. As for the other stuff, she has been outspoken about several issues and endorsed a few candidates, but I still don't think of her as a political being.

I just don't agree with the common belief nowadays that you need to eradicate any exposure to or association with those with opinions contrary to your own. If HAL chose a comparative conservative figure (and no, POTUS is not a good comparison) to endorse the ship, I would still sail on her. It really makes no difference to me.

Seriously? Blechhhh take that ship off my list.
I suspect that Melania will become a cultural icon post-White House. I'm no fortune teller, but I foresee a divorce, plentiful talk show appearances, and lucrative book and merchandise deals in her future.