Who would you have picked for NS Godmother?

haladdict

You asked me a question and I answered, what’s with the So?

And honestly. I couldn’t care less who the godmother is of any ship, your current President’s third wife included. I was proving a point

Scroll to h next post and see I commnted it sound s like nice cruis e The So? was: "Are you goin g on t hat great sounding voyage ?"

Scroll to h next post and see I commnted it sound s like nice cruis e The So? was: "Are you goin g on t hat great sounding voyage ?"

Not sure. We have a bit of a jigsaw puzzle of vacations to make things fit. If we do that we have to move others. But it is a nice itinerary and reasonably priced.

I think they should have picked the godmother from the passenger with the most sailed days on HAL...probably Dolly Smith. She's done 28 to 32 (depending on who you ask) world cruises and has spent enough to buy one of the ships. She'd probably turn it down if it meant leaving the Amsterdam. Picking the most traveled passenger has been done before, by Princess, when they picked Loraine Arntz (sp?) for the second Royal Princess, the same ship that she made her home.

When Hollywood stars, sports figures, and entertainment industry personalities decide to use their celebrity status to promote a political agenda, they should be aware they are alienating 1/3 to 1/2 of their potential fans.

Why does this have to be the case, though?

At what point did we progress from being the country where people respected the rights of other people to have beliefs that differed from their own to being the country where one automatically "alienates" others by saying what they believe in?

(Warning: Historical rant follows)

Having read quite deeply into the history of the founding of the USA and the writings of many of those who helped shape our Constitution and our country, I don't believe this is the outcome they intended. Back then, politicians (and others) of quite different beliefs were able to respect each other and even maintain close friendships -- just look at Jefferson and Adams.

In fact, it was through a willingness to listen to the views of others and to compromise that our greatest living documents were created. Unfortunately, we have descended to an era of petty bickering and being unable to budge one inch from our own opinion to consider the viewpoint of another. Even the word "compromise" has become an insult.

I find it very sad indeed. :(

Why does this have to be the case, though?

At what point did we progress from being the country where people respected the rights of other people to have beliefs that differed from their own to being the country where one automatically "alienates" others by saying what they believe in?

(Warning: Historical rant follows)

Having read quite deeply into the history of the founding of the USA and the writings of many of those who helped shape our Constitution and our country, I don't believe this is the outcome they intended. Back then, politicians (and others) of quite different beliefs were able to respect each other and even maintain close friendships -- just look at Jefferson and Adams.

In fact, it was through a willingness to listen to the views of others and to compromise that our greatest living documents were created. Unfortunately, we have descended to an era of petty bickering and being unable to budge one inch from our own opinion to consider the viewpoint of another. Even the word "compromise" has become an insult.

I find it very sad indeed. :(

I enjoyed reading this interesting post. Thanks!

Boy, Holland America is really running with this whole Oprah thing, aren't they?

I'd pick Melania Trump to be the godmother of the Nieuw Statendam. In my opinion, Mrs. Trump has grace & style, and she would not try to make the occasion all about her.

I think Mrs. Trump has enough to cope with. She certainly has style, though, and so does Ms. Winfrey. This question is so loaded with implications, I think it should be removed.

What you were seeing in your reading of early US history was a class hegemony, before the "democratization" of the US with Andrew Jackson. Not sure how you can turn the clock back. The pendulum swings with the partisan "normatives" - most recent watershed happening in the 1960s - the conservative normative became the liberal normative. Perhaps what we are witnessing right now is only a shift of the pendulum back again.

Those of us who are older grew up under the conservative normative - those younger grew up during the liberal normative. Some of us want to turn the clock back in some but not ways; others are rightfully happy the clock moved forward. I think the excesses of both "normatives" play themselves out and there becomes a backlash, but not a total retreat.

There was plenty wrong with the former conservative normative that have been healed during the shift to liberal normative. Except now there is as much wrong with the liberal normative that may be your demographic comfort zone, that it too must be fixed and healed. Surf it; don't fight it and don't scold it. I for one would be very happy to leave the excesses of the 1960's behind and find a quieter, more conservative period to play catch up. Do you malign that as " partisan politics"?

I'm aware of the pendulum shifts in thought/opinion/norms over time, but I fail to see how that addresses my main point, which is respecting others' opinions and not demonizing them or allowing them to become a divisive force.

I'm aware of the pendulum shifts in thought/opinion/norms over time, but I fail to see how that addresses my main point, which is respecting others' opinions and not demonizing them or allowing them to become a divisive force.

As compared to some idyllic time in the past when this never happened?

I always get a little nervous when people ask "can't we all just get along". Too often I see this as cover for saying agree with me, but not with thee. I have over the decades reached the conclusion, no we can't all just get along. But we can mitigate somewhat the degree of damage this creates. I see the excesses of the "liberal normative" was to slice and dice us into disparate identities, each with its own grievance agenda. Which is why no, we can't all just get along. What is our unifying force today? What do we do now that we have been sliced and diced these past 50 years?

Duck and enjoy the new melange instead of the arrogance of the melting pot? Today I am reminded of that scene from The Dirty Dozen when these chosen rogues were hammer and tong at each others throats early in the game. The leader of the group reported sanguinely, the gentlement are just discussing their dining arrangements. Mutual sanguinity is perhaps the most worthy goal. But that takes a lot of sanding off rough edges, howls and wails first. I don't think we are there yet.

The torch is getting passed to your generation. Are there any frictions among your demographics, or is it just generational. Who will pay off the debts your generation inherited? Is there mutual agreement about that? Or is your generation still getting fed by the accumulated ethics of the prior generation. How and why is the dot.com world now fracturing into warring camps too.

It really is different right now. I'm 60 and grew up amongst people with very different political leanings. Nobody behaved as they do today. I suppose everybody is all ginned up by the media, because it makes for good entertainment. Strange world, and I'll leave it at that.

I Got it. :) ( your message)

However, I am not aware of any CC rule disallowing negative opinions,

Not disallowing but when every post from the one or two true diehards on here is full of negativity,it's exhausting.The Oprah threads are one of the biggest offenders.

It really is different right now. I'm 60 and grew up amongst people with very different political leanings. Nobody behaved as they do today. I suppose everybody is all ginned up by the media, because it makes for good entertainment. Strange world, and I'll leave it at that.

Exactly so.

Not disallowing but when every post from the one or two true diehards on here is full of negativity,it's exhausting.The Oprah threads are one of the biggest offenders.

Use your ignore feature. Save yourself the grief of reading what you don't want to read from those "one or two diehards". Hard to feel much sympathy for those who intentionally pick at scabs. I've got a few on my ignore list too. Obviously not you, yet.

No one has to read any post they do not wish.

Any one can 'cruise on by' and not read what they don't like. . Don't try to tell others your op inion of how they must post. The tone their message must take.

We all post as we wish within cc guidelines. I have walked in only my shoes No one knows where someone else's shoes have walked and how any one came to formulate their opinions.

No one's opinion, has more or less value than any other.

Edited by sail7seas

I think Mrs. Trump has enough to cope with. She certainly has style, though, and so does Ms. Winfrey. This question is so loaded with implications, I think it should be removed.

She's already the godmother of the Norwegian Jewel..

I’m from a somewhat earlier generation, and recall much the same range of political leanings. What does seem very different now is the emphasis on rights - and very little focus on obligations —- which were certainly emphasized in school civics classes. The balance today seems a bit off: the practical realization of one person’s rights depends upon the obligations of many others to respect them.

To the extent there is any real business point in selecting godmothers, Oprah probably was a good choice. The bulk of HAL’s new target demographic probably are not as interested in Dutch royalty as in US celebrity. Martha Stewart might be a logical next choice - and well known women in show busines and other areas may follow: Cher, Venus Williams, retired political persons all have the

“names” which would be recognized.

To the extent there is any real business point in selecting godmothers, Oprah probably was a good choice. The bulk of HAL’s new target demographic probably are not as interested in Dutch royalty as in US celebrity. Martha Stewart might be a logical next choice - and well known women in show busines and other areas may follow: Cher, Venus Williams, retired political persons all have the

“names” which would be recognized.

I think the bulk of HAL's new target demographic is simply not interested in ships' godmothers period... royalty, celebrity or otherwise. For that matter, neither is the old demographic. ;)