Who would you have picked for NS Godmother?

haladdict

I'm not privy to HAL marketing info but I have been cruising on HAL since I was 28. HAL can't ignore the fact that at some point the base ages out and cruises less.

It's never been a secret that HAL attracts a more mature crowd, especially on cruises 2 weeks or longer.

I would think that they are reaching for the 40 to 45 and up crowd. We are in this group. This will be the next retiring group.

quote]

Just as “the base ages out and cruises less” the tastes of any base are likely to mature along with the individual members of that base. Yes, HAL appears to be reaching out to to the “40 to 45 and up crowd”, but are they doing it at the quite possible cost of driving away the larger 60 to 75 and up crowd? After all, tastes will change between ages 45 and 60 - which is the period during which the time and wherewithal to cruise more seriously emerges.

Yes, individuals now in the 60-75 bracket are dying off, but they are being replaced - so the bracket remains.

My vote would go to Lisa Lutoff, the CEO of Celebrity. IMHO she has done more to promote business for HAL the past couple of years than anyone else.

When I read this, I actually laughed! Thank you for my chuckle of the day!

Just as “the base ages out and cruises less” the tastes of any base are likely to mature along with the individual members of that base.
That doesn't mean that the younger generation adopts the affinities of the older generation*. That's why we see ATK and 'O' and Billboard, and why we no longer see dance hosts.

* If anything, as my mother demonstrated, the opposite is more likely.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

In reading all posts on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that HAL should have picked ME. :D

Thanks to everyone who posted and contributed to a really readable and interesting thread!

I was thinking 🤔 the same thing!!!!😃

Denise:)

In reality who cares!!! I don’t!

I just realized when I was waiting to talk to PCC on the Maasdam to book our next cruise that June Allison was the GodMother! Geez I was little watching on black and white TV some of her movies!

Denise:)

That doesn't mean that the younger generation adopts the affinities of the older generation*. That's why we see ATK and 'O' and Billboard, and why we no longer see dance hosts.

* If anything, as my mother demonstrated, the opposite is more likely.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Changing the music offerings seems reasonable, as new customers "come of age," so that the guests are hearing what they cut their teeth on musically. But other than that, mature people have a lot in common no matter what era they come from. They don't want what twenty-year-olds want. HAL has had a really good formula for pleasing mature, well-traveled, interested people.

HAL got us at 40, with the "old style" HAL. I guess it is a personality thing, but HAL then fit us well. Now, we miss some of the old HAL, but are fine with most of the new.

I am curious to know what age group HAL was reaching out to 15 - 20 years ago?

HAL got us at 40, with the "old style" HAL. I guess it is a personality thing, but HAL then fit us well. Now, we miss some of the old HAL, but are fine with most of the new.

I am curious to know what age group HAL was reaching out to 15 - 20 years ago?

I would suggest that 15-20 years ago HAL was reaching out to a group - not just an age group - interested in quality service, better than average food, mature entertainment - which included pretty good live music - who were interested in some good itineraries. I suppose that generally meant mature people, but apparently a number of people at 40 were attracted.

Apparently you miss some of the old and are fine with only most of the new. How would you feel if none of the old which you now miss were still there, and those parts of the New with which you are not fine we’re not there?

I, for one, could care less who the Godmother is. I know I’ve read who the Godmothers are on various ships but don’t remember a single one! It doesn’t impact our cruising experience one iota. Much ado about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that 15-20 years ago HAL was reaching out to a group - not just an age group - interested in quality service, better than average food, mature entertainment - which included pretty good live music - who were interested in some good itineraries. I suppose that generally meant mature people, but apparently a number of people at 40 were attracted.

Apparently you miss some of the old and are fine with only most of the new. How would you feel if none of the old which you now miss were still there, and those parts of the New with which you are not fine we’re not there?

Thanks for that assessment, very thorough. I agree.

To answer your question: I'd be weighing it all up, figuring out what the pluses and minuses came to, adding in the pricing, Mariner rewards and voting to stay or find something else. So far, so good.

No. HAL is changing with the times, love it or lump it.:rolleyes:

Not sure why many of we cruise lovers try to complicate simple things. HAL is merely one business arm of CCL. Like any for-profit Corporation in our Capitalistic society, the management of HAL is charged with maximizing profits. In fact, they actually have a fiduciary responsibility to make money for the investors/stockholders. Changes are all intended to increase the bottom line. Strategies do change, but in the final analysis its all about the bottom line.

Perhaps this is what makes MSC and interesting product. They are the only major cruise line that is privately held and has no fiduciary obligation to investors. Yes, they need profit to cover their debt service and generate income for the Aponte family. But unlike for-profit public companies, the Aponte family has the luxury of being patient. Instead of worrying about the annual report, the MSC management can think longer term. With about 20 new builds on their schedule it is going to be interesting to see if this line (along with Richard Branson's Virgin Cruises) can spur some positive changes in the industry.

Hank

Perhaps this is what makes MSC and interesting product. They are the only major cruise line that is privately held and has no fiduciary obligation to investors. Yes, they need profit to cover their debt service and generate income for the Aponte family. But unlike for-profit public companies, the Aponte family has the luxury of being patient. Instead of worrying about the annual report, the MSC management can think longer term. With about 20 new builds on their schedule it is going to be interesting to see if this line (along with Richard Branson's Virgin Cruises) can spur some positive changes in the industry.

Hank

Interesting analysis. I would also include among those agents of change the entire new fleet being rapidly built and launched by Viking Ocean.

But other than that, mature people have a lot in common no matter what era they come from.

Nonsense. One of the elders of our church is away this summer, climbing mountains, meditating, and generally seeking meaning in getting back to nature. That's not something even my progressive mother would have engaged with.

Many of us are both carrying forward those things we value from out younger days into maturity and adopting those things that the younger generations create (well, at least if we are able to adapt to them physically).

Please go back and read Frank's post. That is the piece of the puzzle that you seem to be missing.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Interesting analysis.
It is but it is worth mentioning that even private owners want good financial decisions made in their behalf. To the extent that they vary from that it will reflect their personal preferences more so than the status quo. Look at the service spec for Branson's cruise line.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Hank

This is exactly why I have 3 future bookings on MSC Caribbean cruises over the next 18 months. The market pressure being applied by MSC on both price and inclusions for their Yacht Club product (value) is too good to pass up.

Dennis

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

I saw an ad this morning for HAL with something I hadn't seen from them:

"Traditional cruising experience with modern touches" and "Around the World sailings offered"

We have been watching MSC and Viking Oceans with interest. MSC Yacht Club looks great but the negative for us are the huge ships with water slides and crowds. Still want to read more about food, service, and crews. Haven't seen any real turn-offs at Viking- looks like a great product.

So far HAL has the competition beat with their on board staff and crews.

Edited by frankc98376

"Traditional cruising experience with modern touches"

Interesting...

Magazine, newspaper or Tv ?

I agree, interesting. :)

"Traditional cruising experience with modern touches" and "Around the World sailings offered"

So far HAL has the competition beat with their on board staff and crews.

Bingo! This says a LOT. Three points that sell us on HAL, especially the service.

Nonsense. One of the elders of our church is away this summer, climbing mountains, meditating, and generally seeking meaning in getting back to nature. That's not something even my progressive mother would have engaged with.

Many of us are both carrying forward those things we value from out younger days into maturity and adopting those things that the younger generations create (well, at least if we are able to adapt to them physically).

Please go back and read Frank's post. That is the piece of the puzzle that you seem to be missing.

Nonsense. That elder in your church is just doing something any mature person of today might like to do. Sounds like a normal SHX to me.