Cozumel port busted me....sad face...

.........No seashells, sand and glass that has been collected ashore. Any violation of this policy may result in a fine.

I have never seen this before and I read the entire Compass. I even read the small print because you never know what might be in there. Have others also not had this in their Compass or am I somehow missing it?

I brought sand back from Bermuda. A girl in line in front of us had an entire 32 oz cup full of it, and they made her throw it in the trash. I had probably less than an ounce of it wrapped up in a little piece of plastic and they didn't notice.

Next up: Omaha Beach. Anybody have any experience getting sand from here? Anything specific I should know?

If your talking about Omaha Beach in France, I myself would find your actions very distasteful, because of all my fellow soldiers and Navy sailors who died there!

Mike

In answer to the food allergy question, we have always brought food on and off the ship but it was commercial sealed. My daughter has a peanut allergy, soy, gluten allergies, dairy too. We brought her snack bars and special milk onto ship and took snacks for her while in port and never had a problem because they weren't in baggies but in their original packaging. The cruise lines have always taken excellent care of her. On one Princess cruise each night they made her a special surprise desert and she was so thankful for the extra care taken of her and we were thankful with a nice tip to waiters and headwaiters. If it is something bought in a store still in original packaging we were always OK.

Actually this is not unheard of as some cars require oil that is not normally stocked by your run of mill car repair shop. However the restaurant analogy is a good one.

You take your oil and filter to the car repair shop and ask them to change your oil?

OK, in all honesty, for all of you totally judgemental, but lovely people who point fingers and overlook your own shortcomings....I have NEVER disobeyed a rule or a law in a foreign country, never taken food off the ship nor brought live creatures back to the ship. I have taken a few shells (totally empty or broken into pieces and a dead crab shell in Pensicola where they let people do that). Have never been stopped by nor even repremanded by an official or sniffed by a dog. O.K.

Oh and apparently do not recognize fecitiousness when you see it...

Get over yourselves.

PS and I've never even been to the naughty room, not even once.

Edited by BecciBoo

I have never seen this before and I read the entire Compass. I even read the small print because you never know what might be in there. Have others also not had this in their Compass or am I somehow missing it?

Renee, I've seen it where the port information is. May even be on a separate sheet.

OK, in all honesty, for all of you totally judgemental, but lovely people who point fingers and overlook your own shortcomings....I have NEVER disobeyed a rule or a law in a foreign country, never taken food off the ship nor brought live creatures back to the ship. I have taken a few shells (totally empty or broken into pieces and a dead crab shell). Have never been stopped by nor even repremanded by an official or sniffed by a dog. O.K.

Get over yourselves.

Tone is difficult to convey in text.

OK, in all honesty, for all of you totally judgemental, but lovely people who point fingers and overlook your own shortcomings....I have NEVER disobeyed a rule or a law in a foreign country, never taken food off the ship nor brought live creatures back to the ship. I have taken a few shells (totally empty or broken into pieces and a dead crab shell in Pensicola where they let people do that). Have never been stopped by nor even repremanded by an official or sniffed by a dog. O.K.

Get over yourselves.

Becciboo - glad to hear you are joking - perhaps that is exactly the problem. Others less conscientious than you about the rights of other countries might read the post and think that it is ok to ignore their laws and their protections.

I was surprised but interested to read that sea glass was a problem.

From Australia - where we are renowned for protecting our agriculture! :) Watch Border Security (if you have it where you live) to see how seriously :):)

From Australia - where we are renowned for protecting our agriculture! :) Watch Border Security (if you have it where you live) to see how seriously :):)

Yes, we do have shows about border security. But they are about the US border with Mexico. I've never seen anything about Australia's Border Security. That said, Australia has no common borders with anyone except the ocean, so your border security would concentrate on the ports (air and sea) of entry, where in the US it is the border with Mexico that gets most of the media's attention. However, there is also a show about Custom's work at JFK.

Yes, we do have shows about border security. But they are about the US border with Mexico. I've never seen anything about Australia's Border Security. That said, Australia has no common borders with anyone except the ocean, so your border security would concentrate on the ports (air and sea) of entry, where in the US it is the border with Mexico that gets most of the media's attention. However, there is also a show about Custom's work at JFK.

Yes Cuizer2 - you are correct. As an island (rather large!) we don't have common borders and do concentrate on ports (air and sea). YouTube has lots of episodes "Border Security Australia's front line" in case anyone is interested. There are also lots of episodes from other countries as well - eg Border Security Canada's front line.

:)

Tone is difficult to convey in text.

Yes, I forget that occasionally. This whole thread is an indictment for social media. That's why I don't do Facebook, or Twitter or Instigram. Cruise Critic is just about the last place I visit for friendly banter. But even that is getting way too contentious for me.

My first post was deliberately ficetious and the second was meant to explain that ( I even gave a reference on how to creat your own sea glass), but in today's climate of willingness to castigate, condemn, contradict, insult and indict other people whom you have never met nor know, it is easy to be snarky while anonymous. And of course, it brings out the worst in people.

I do have cruising friends on here who can vouch for my character, they do know me. Sad to see Cruise Critic go the way of the world...but yes, I must remember your caution and try to be more circumspect when commenting on these boards..........or else, just not visit here anymore........

I am on the Harmony of the Seas right now. When in Cozumel two days ago, I had brought a Ziplock baggie with a bagel, a muffin, and some cookies. I had read here in the forum not to bring any fruit or veggies! As a family, our hobby on beaches is to find sea glass from beaches all over the Caribbean and then make jewelry or display it in vases at our home. When departing Cozumel, the port officials took the bag of sea glass, “because glass is forbidden”, we were told. I had never heard of this before, and the lady even called two supervisors to confirm we were very wrong to try to bring it. Also, all the cookies, bagel, and muffin we were told was forbidden as well. Just wanted to share my story!

How much sea glass did you collect?

Yes Cuizer2 - you are correct. As an island (rather large!) we don't have common borders and do concentrate on ports (air and sea). YouTube has lots of episodes "Border Security Australia's front line" in case anyone is interested. There are also lots of episodes from other countries as well - eg Border Security Canada's front line.

:)

Australia is considered a continent - not an island.

There are beaches that prohibit the removal of sea glass, Sea Glass Beach in Hamilton, Bermuda is one of them.

bermuda_i000326.jpg

Not sure if there are similar warnings in Cozumel.

Natural sea glass? That would be glass created by nature ...

In nature, glasses are formed when sand and/or rocks, often high in silica, are heated to high temperatures and then cooled rapidly. The Glass in Nature display shows specimens of glass made in nature. Obsidian or volcanic glass, for example, is molten rock that has quickly cooled, becoming rock in a glassy state.

So, given that sign, Coke bottle glass and beer bottle glass and other human created glass would be okay to take since it is not "natural sea glass".

Mexico is worried about sea glass making it's way into the U.S.? That sure would be on the top of my list. Thank you Mexico for your concern.

I suspect Mexico did not even consider the US when developing its laws and regulations respecting sea glass and other beach material.

Mexico is protecting its environment and tourist economy. Whether you agree with how it is being done matters not a whit. It is the law of Mexico.

For anyone interested, most of the Caribbean countries have similar legislation/regulation.

Get over yourselves.

You shouldn't be surprised that if someone portrays themself as a jerk, people believe them.

Another word for what you just did is trolling.

I am on the Harmony of the Seas right now. When in Cozumel two days ago, I had brought a Ziplock baggie with a bagel, a muffin, and some cookies. I had read here in the forum not to bring any fruit or veggies! As a family, our hobby on beaches is to find sea glass from beaches all over the Caribbean and then make jewelry or display it in vases at our home. When departing Cozumel, the port officials took the bag of sea glass, “because glass is forbidden”, we were told. I had never heard of this before, and the lady even called two supervisors to confirm we were very wrong to try to bring it. Also, all the cookies, bagel, and muffin we were told was forbidden as well. Just wanted to share my story!

all food that is not factory sealed is not allowed.

the sea glass it is illegal to take it off the beaches /out of the country unless you are purchasing from a certified vendor( which has the necessary permits to collect it and sanitize it properly) not all countries will enforce that all the time so you got lucky in your prior excursions( same with coral and shells)