Please explain Price Drop and Taxes

Hi all,

I have a cruise booked on Navigator of the Seas on February 24, 2019.

I have been monitoring the price and noticed the cruise price dropped for the same cabin category as I booked. The total payment dropped by approximately $100. I thought that it was worth a call.

A Royal Caribbean representative told me that most of the decrease was due to the taxes going down. He indicated that the taxes will always remain the same as the original booking. I don't quite understand this. I was also told to contact my local taxation office for an explanation. REALLY. I thought the taxes were a percentage of the total. I was hoping someone on cruise critic has a better explanation.

That is new one - local taxation office? Where do CSRs get bogus info like that?

About the only thing he was right about is that the taxes stay the same as the original booking. The fare simply dropped. Taxes are a fixed amount (regardless of fare paid) at the time of booking.

Edited by Biker19

In light of the recent SCOTUS ruling, it will be interesting to see what develops at the state level.

Since a state can now tax out of state purchases, will states rationalize a sales tax on travel?

You all know that when you look at your hotel bill and see taxes in the 17-25% range.

That is new one - local taxation office? Where do CSRs get bogus info like that?

About the only thing he was right about is that the taxes stay the same as the original booking. The fare simply dropped. Taxes are a fixed amount (regardless of fare paid) at the time of booking.

Just don't shake their hand after receiving that kind of information

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

I have been monitoring the price and noticed the cruise price dropped for the same cabin category as I booked. The total payment dropped by approximately $100. I thought that it was worth a call.

A Royal Caribbean representative told me that most of the decrease was due to the taxes going down. He indicated that the taxes will always remain the same as the original booking. I don't quite understand this. I was also told to contact my local taxation office for an explanation. REALLY. I thought the taxes were a percentage of the total. I was hoping someone on cruise critic has a better explanation.

RCI is trying to screw you on the taxes - they try it all the time - ask them where in the contract it says they are allowed to NOT adjust the taxes and escalate that to the CEO they will eventually give up - as what they do is illegal and they know it...:mad:

20ish yrs ago Royal settled for missed ports and keeping port tax. Then been on Caribbean cruise that refunded a tax for missed Port, was while ago. Recently(couple yrs) port tax had gone down on one of our stops, this was refunded to my onboard account. Only $12

Hi all,

What does your original confirmation say as to how much you were charged for taxes?

The taxes now are $104. So RCI is telling you that you originally paid $204 in taxes for a 5 night cruise that goes to Labadee and Nassau?:eek:

Bill

I wonder if he meant port charges? I know they don't adjust them until you are on the ship. Sometimes they go up while you are sailing and sometimes they give you a credit because they came down.

If they go up after you book and you make no changes to your booking they do not charge you the extra.

They will credit you the difference in OBC on the ship as you stated if the amount decreases. Usually around $12 to $15.

Bill

If they go up after you book and you make no changes to your booking they do not charge you the extra.

They will credit you the difference in OBC on the ship as you stated if the amount decreases. Usually around $12 to $15.

Bill

Over the years I have had an increase during sailing. It was $8 per person. I think it was for Bermuda. I also had a $60 total credit during a sailing with Celebrity.