Plane Ticket printouts

Nothing if you know what you're dealing with and you're okay with it. I used to travel Southwest all the time because they flew out of a smaller secondary airport with great nonstops and great fares. The routes and fares are not nearly as appealing or competitive as they used to be. And I like having a specific reserved seat. Southwest near me attracts a LOT of families with young kids. And while I don't begrudge them traveling, the combination of the families with young kids and the open seating all to often seems to turn the boarding process into amateur hour.

I'm now Mosaic with JetBlue, I like showing up whenever I want with regards to boarding and knowing my seat in row two is ready and waiting with no hassle.

And yet every time I fly a legacy carrier (Delta, American, Jet Blue) my carefully selected seat disappears prior to boarding. In November Jet Blue not only took our assigned seats away (4 adults, 3 kids, 1 infant), they sent us to the gate with NO SEATS! Gate agent had us in single seats all over the plane. I refused to budge until they put at least 1 adult with each child. Give me SWA any day where, through Early Bird or timely checking in, I can choose where i sit.

I'm a belt and suspenders guy so in addition to adding the boarding pass to my iPhone wallet, I take a screen shot for my camera roll (probably useless redundancy). If I'm traveling with someone though, I'll air drop my boarding pass screen shot to my traveling companion. The Internet can blow up, I can accidentally flush my phone down the toilet, the gate can have no electricity, and I can still board the plane.

The only thing that I used to miss about a paper boarding pass was using it as a bookmark for my paperback book. With my Nook app though...

🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with Ashland on this. Now RCL said they just weren't doing it anymore. But we could do it if we bought internet access for one day and then do on deck 7.One of my dol's (we took the whole family) is a high powered attorney and she travels with laptop, iPhone, iPad and had bought double internet since she was also working on a biggie case for one of the corporate accounts. We went to 7 and plugged in the locator code, etc. She ended up having to go from phone to pad to RC computer to finally get us through to American. Got passes for all eight in our party and then RC's wonderful wireless printer (Lexmark) would print. Two other users had been trying to make it print for 45 minutes. Finally a 'attendant' showed up and asked if we had checked the paper -DUH!? Yes, so she finally turned it off and then on -NADA. She then literally hit it on the front with a hearty hand slap and it started printing. Our 8 came off first then everyone else. I was just yelling 'who's going to ORD, etc?'. as they spitted out. And, this with what RC charges for internet service is absurd.

RLK2018

Who prints out tickets anymore. Use your smartphone or simply use a kiosk at the airport. Why worry about something that is not needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do!! I would MUCH rather have a paper copy than use my smartphone. Just very old school that way, and I am a computer professional! Maybe someday I will use my phone, but for now, I still use a paper boarding pass, a paper map, etc.

I know you said that you don't do phone apps, but I've found airlines apps to be incredibly valuable. In addition to not needing a paper boarding pass, two very valuable features (to me) are knowing the status of your luggage and easily changing flights. It's very reassuring when a message pops up saying that your luggage has been loaded on the plane. If you travel often enough, you will eventually have flight problems due to weather, mechanical issues, flight crew time limits, etc. For many airlines, you can very quickly rebook right from the app. No more waiting in long lines behind angry customers to talk to a frazzled customer service rep.

Agreed. The phone apps are great and so convenient. No need to worry with having to print and keep track of papers and tickets.

And yet every time I fly a legacy carrier (Delta, American, Jet Blue) my carefully selected seat disappears prior to boarding. In November Jet Blue not only took our assigned seats away (4 adults, 3 kids, 1 infant), they sent us to the gate with NO SEATS! Gate agent had us in single seats all over the plane. I refused to budge until they put at least 1 adult with each child. Give me SWA any day where, through Early Bird or timely checking in, I can choose where i sit.

EVERY time you fly with a legacy carrier this happens???? Seriously, if this happens EVERY time, you might have to look in the mirror, as you appear to be the only common denominator of seating struggles. You must be making some sort of modification that cancels your seat assignment.

If you told me you had a random terrible experience flying JetBlue, and that you've been burned on other airlines before, that would be one thing. But your seat assignment is lost on EVERY flight. Yeah, that's gotta be on you....

People still sometimes think like this is a bygone era. If you purchase a ticket, and you check in, you will be boarded. I don't care if you have a paper boarding pass and manage to lose it between security and the gate, you're going to get on board. The days of a boarding pass having some sort of "bearer value" are long gone.

It's just like all the people constantly asking what they need to check into the ship. I'm like "Photo ID and a credit card!". Sure, a set sail pass "might" make it easier or faster (not really), but they're going to take care of you regardless.

Because those old green and white papers were not boarding passes. They were TICKETS, with actual cash value.

No ticket, no board as you need to pay.

I still used paper tickets in some markets into the 2010s. You do not want to be standing in line to board the one flight a week, when their computers go down. Those of us with paper tickets flew, the others did not.

EVERY time you fly with a legacy carrier this happens???? Seriously, if this happens EVERY time, you might have to look in the mirror, as you appear to be the only common denominator of seating struggles. You must be making some sort of modification that cancels your seat assignment.

If you told me you had a random terrible experience flying JetBlue, and that you've been burned on other airlines before, that would be one thing. But your seat assignment is lost on EVERY flight. Yeah, that's gotta be on you....

Sorry you find it so hard to believe. But it had indeed happened at least the last 4 times, and, no I made no changes to my flights of any kind after booking. The last 4 trips were on Jet Blue, twice on Delta and on American. These were the only times in the last 10 years or so that I did not fly SWA.

But maybe you’re right. I did fly Delta about 20 years ago and I think that flight went ok. Sorry for the exaggeration.

I'm a belt and suspenders guy so in addition to adding the boarding pass to my iPhone wallet, I take a screen shot for my camera roll (probably useless redundancy). If I'm traveling with someone though, I'll air drop my boarding pass screen shot to my traveling companion. The Internet can blow up, I can accidentally flush my phone down the toilet, the gate can have no electricity, and I can still board the plane.

The only thing that I used to miss about a paper boarding pass was using it as a bookmark for my paperback book. With my Nook app though...

Where’s the like button?[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry you find it so hard to believe. But it had indeed happened at least the last 4 times, and, no I made no changes to my flights of any kind after booking. The last 4 trips were on Jet Blue, twice on Delta and on American. These were the only times in the last 10 years or so that I did not fly SWA.

But maybe you’re right. I did fly Delta about 20 years ago and I think that flight went ok. Sorry for the exaggeration.

Jet Blue is not exactly a legacy carrier.

But I fly a lot on the legacy carriers. And my seat selection does not typically go away. And my work colleagues also fly a lot and do not have this issue.

I agree, it seems like something specific to you and your bookings.

It did get changed upon boarding my flight last night, but that was for an unsolicited upgrade to Business Class. :D

Ummm..... No. Seriously, if you're on American Airlines, there is no need whatsoever to print boarding passes before you get to the airport. There are usually plenty of kiosks to do this. Unless you're on Southwest (Ugh! Shuddering at the thought!), in which case when you "check in" may affect your boarding order, there is no reason whatsoever to do it 24 hours in advance.

Actually, there are reasons to check in before you get to the airport. For people who have early flights it can buy them a lot more time. Since for most domestic flights you have to be checked in 60-90 minutes before the flight doing so before leaving the port gets you more time to make it to the gate.

Actually, there are reasons to check in before you get to the airport. For people who have early flights it can buy them a lot more time. Since for most domestic flights you have to be checked in 60-90 minutes before the flight doing so before leaving the port gets you more time to make it to the gate.

Really? What airline is this? 60 maybe someplace, but not 90

I have not tried in a long time. RCI used to offer free access to airline websites. Unfortunately the 2 times I tried their computers were so slow it didn't work. Back then airline used to give you discount on baggage fees for early check-in.

They don't offer any free access but may offer a last day Internet discount.

Your other problem may be finding a working printer.

We check-in and print ours at the airport using our cell phone app when we arrive at the port.

Yes, they used to offer free access to the airline site but no longer. Initially, either Oasis or Allure, also had kiosks on the Royal Promenade for airline check-in and boarding pass printing, also at no charge, but they are gone too.

Actually, for domestic flights it's often as little as 45 minutes. Never heard of 90. And checking in online doesn't really help you if you are checking bags. You still have to deal with that at the airport.

I am pretty sure the last time we flew out of San Juan it was 90 minutes but I no longer have the documentation.

Not sure that one experience qualifies as "most domestic flights." :D

Because those old green and white papers were not boarding passes. They were TICKETS, with actual cash value.

No ticket, no board as you need to pay.

I still used paper tickets in some markets into the 2010s. You do not want to be standing in line to board the one flight a week, when their computers go down. Those of us with paper tickets flew, the others did not.

Wow, nobody else had a screenshot or had saved it to Wallet? I do both - I would have flown without the paper ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow' date=' nobody else had a screenshot or had saved it to Wallet? I do both - I would have flown without the paper ticket.

[/quote']

The point is, the paper ticket is MONEY, it has a value. No paper ticket, no proof of MONEY.

It was not up to you, no paper TICKET (not boarding pass) and they would not let you on the airplane.

This was in Africa, what internet???? IN fact, at the time, the country had NO central electric service, EVERY place had their own generator.

The point is, the paper ticket is MONEY, it has a value. No paper ticket, no proof of MONEY.

It was not up to you, no paper TICKET (not boarding pass) and they would not let you on the airplane.

This was in Africa, what internet???? IN fact, at the time, the country had NO central electric service, EVERY place had their own generator.

what airline requires a paper ticket? If you do need, you walk up to the counter, prove who you are and one is printed for you. No one is denied boarding