Begging for Tips

".it happened and I am sure it IS a terminable offense which is why I didn't say anything but wow......"

The people on the board that know me also know I would have gone to the GM and specifically point out the situation. How would management know there is an issue if they are not apprised of a problem? This is why I always say people are afraid to complain or address a situation that you did not feel was appropriate. We have saying in the restaurant business, people don't complain, they simply don't return.

That's my M.O. I don't feel it's my job to manage your business or so I very rarely give negative feedback. Management should have sufficient oversight to know what's going on. However I don't make the same mistake (of buying something I'm not happy with) twice.

That's my M.O. I don't feel it's my job to manage your business or so I very rarely give negative feedback. Management should have sufficient oversight to know what's going on. However I don't make the same mistake (of buying something I'm not happy with) twice.

A lot depends on what happened. If a server made an inappropriate remark I would bring that to the attention of management since management would have no idea that this was happening unless told. If the food was not cooked well we likely would just not go back, since I shouldn't have to tell the cook how to do that. If the server was substandard in some way we'd likely just express that in a reduced gratuity although we'd probably give the establishment another shot if we liked everything else.

Well right...on the excursions. And it was polite. But every room we entered, lol,...."Don't forget to tip X, he helps too." He wasn't doing anything so you take a polite reminder for a tip on an excursion, which any normal person is going to give who isn't intoxicated, and multiply that by about 8 times requesting tips on an $85 excursion.

The dining staff, I will disagree all day. I am an experienced cruiser and I am right there with all of you--have NEVER experienced that. But it was flat out begging. I don't know what else you would call it..."please help us?" "You feed our families?"

May I ask which Carnival ship this was on?

The only way to really help the crews is to make the cruise lines stop the systems that they have in place of underpaying workers and trying to get Guest to pay more out of pocket, the cruise lines are using crew and guest to increase the bottom line profits.

It's a stretch to say they are profiting by the industry standard practice. If they paid employees more they would increase fares to offset.

It's a system used by service industries everywhere, including restaurants in your hometown.

Here to follow is another example.

Living in a small population Borough, in which we have 9 Banks, 4 Ice Cream Parlours, etc..

A dunkin Doughnuts I went in and it is 24/7 the clerk said to me with a Tip Jar showing what a time he had working so hard , he has to feed his family , and he does not understand why he is paid so little.. he may have been a reason he whined so much too. He said "he deserved a tip".

So is this getting in every place to whine, moan , and complain asking for tips more?

Here to follow is another example.

Living in a small population Borough, in which we have 9 Banks, 4 Ice Cream Parlours, etc..

A dunkin Doughnuts I went in and it is 24/7 the clerk said to me with a Tip Jar showing what a time he had working so hard , he has to feed his family , and he does not understand why he is paid so little.. he may have been a reason he whined so much too. He said "he deserved a tip".

So is this getting in every place to whine, moan , and complain asking for tips more?

I cannot remember ever discussing tips at any place. I also do not discuss salaries much either.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, considering it's Carnival I'll bet the servers ARE desperate. Go near the service desk on the last night or last morning and see how many low-lives and trash aboard are up there to remove the gratuities from their sailing. These servers would be better off on any other line besides Carnival. I'm not a Carnival hater (booked another CCL cruise yesterday) but it's the truth and many of the passengers on Carnival aren't payinging grats no matter what .... That's probably what led to his begging.
I don't agree with the name calling of fellow humans. Alas, too many do it here. I DO agree with the entirety of your post, minus that AND your first four words of course :D ...

You make a good point about the situation... I'll never for the life of me figure out the WHY'S of the last night flock to GS to gyp hardworking people that usually give their all and then some, out of the money that they so deserve...

IF one uses the "justification" of they cannot afford it, well duh! Don't Go On A Cruise Until You CAN Afford It.

I do believe the OP and find it truly pathetic that others are trying to call him/her out as a liar for what is essentially none of their business. Nor were they also there...

Well, considering it's CC (see what I did there? :) it's par for the course. More and more so every day...

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

Shake my head! That's what managers are for, it's up to a them to manage, help and if necessary weed out bad employees. A person on vacation doesn't need to go around getting people fired and having that on her conscious.
Where oh where is the "Like" and/or "Thumbs Up" button?

This place is ridiculous.

I've been vague on purpose hence "dining room staff."

You know what? Just forget it...carry on with the pettiness.

Oh they will. Rest assured, ridiculous as it may be, that they'll call into question anything that dares to disagree with their core beliefs. Simply sad, but oh so predictable...

Eh, don't let it bother you.

We don't.

A whole lotta posturing going on is all.

For all you people calling the OP a liar, it really does happen. Just because you have not experienced it, doesn't mean it is a made up story. Have you ever actually seen someone die on a ship? No? Then it must never happen, right?

It was a few years ago but our travel mates, elderly and in a handicapped cabin, were hit up by the room steward for money to send back home. Long story about a death and cruise line not even allowing him to contact family etc, etc, etc. We had the same steward and didn't get the sob story. We both had paid tips and treated the steward exactly the same. The other couple were on their first cruise and may have appeared more sympathetic.

A lot could depend on your demeanor. They learn to read people and are selective.

I am by no means saying it is a rampant problem but accept the fact that it does happen.

Exactly!

Thanks for being one of the very few voices of reason on this gone haywire thread...

You could have said that in the first place. Fake reporting is not limited to Fox.

Bwahahahaha!

No silly, it's not.

But but but politics on a cruise board truly stink...

Ahhh there's always a "THAT Guy" on here.

Don't be THAT Guy/Girl.

Lol I'm amping up for our next cruise in 68d. I always try to come here before leaving actual reality behind, for giggles n stitzs. Kinda gets the mood going...

Bwahahahaha!

No silly, it's not.

But but but politics on a cruise board truly stink...

Ahhh there's always a "THAT Guy" on here.

Don't be THAT Guy/Girl.

Lol I'm amping up for our next cruise in 68d. I always try to come here before leaving actual reality behind, for giggles n stitzs. Kinda gets the mood going...

I never mentioned the p word. You always come here before a cruise? Since Apr of this year? Certainly are making a career out of this thread, aren't you?

Fake stories certainly do happen on CC and the Internet in general.

I never mentioned the p word. You always come here before a cruise? Since Apr of this year? Certainly are making a career out of this thread, aren't you?

Fake stories certainly do happen on CC and the Internet in general.

Lol, my bad for believing you to be the typical CC'er. Actually no. I've been around here for about 4 1/2yrs. I had stayed away for a few months because the hatefulness was getting to be a bit much. Even for my semi-sarcastic self... LSS, after a plethora of failed login attempts, neither of us got the password correct apparently, WE consensually agreed to start over. THAT, in and of itself is hilarious, especially here! As MANY of my fellow Carnival Cruisers seem to believe the sun rises and sets upon the loyalty level one is. Alas, we've got a few more days left to get to the Motherload of all. So my opinions don't much matter until I hit that mighty diamond. Although IMO platinum is precisely perfectly pretty for now. Ooopsie I just loyalty snobbed there, didn't I?

Life's too short to get so easily bent...

P.S. A mean snarky comment does not need to exactly have "the p word" in it to be read accurately by the masses.

This USED to be the one board I could go to and NOT see that subject...

It's suddenly (the last year plus) rampantly accosting all, from all sides, for no reason whatsoever.

Oh well.

Life's Short, Have Fun, Cruise On!

Not begging for tips ... but ... beggings for excellent ratings on the post cruise survey.

Seems anything other than Excellent is a black mark for them.

Not at all, but does get them time off, which can be a real gem to someone who works long hours seven days a week. There certainly is nothing wrong with trying for that. When it goes beyond natural, some here, including myself feel if someone jumps over the line (and it did happen) then it should be reported. The VAST majority of Carnival workers work to hard to. Be the best asset that Carnival has.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't agree with the name calling of fellow humans. Alas, too many do it here. I DO agree with the entirety of your post, minus that AND your first four words of course :D ...

You make a good point about the situation... I'll never for the life of me figure out the WHY'S of the last night flock to GS to gyp hardworking people that usually give their all and then some, out of the money that they so deserve...

IF one uses the "justification" of they cannot afford it, well duh! Don't Go On A Cruise Until You CAN Afford It.

I do believe the OP and find it truly pathetic that others are trying to call him/her out as a liar for what is essentially none of their business. Nor were they also there...

Well, considering it's CC (see what I did there? :) it's par for the course. More and more so every day...

my experience is that most of the people in the GS line the night before are because they were called down due to Carnival wanting to know how their account will be settled.

my experience is that most of the people in the GS line the night before are because they were called down due to Carnival wanting to know how their account will be settled.
Honestly, I've not ever had first-hand experience/knowledge of the actual WHY'S of GS being much more crowded on last nite & debarkation morning...

Only gone by zucks cruise groups years ago, and what I've been told online... I guess there's a lesson here to not believe so easily of the WWW.

I defer to your account because you've had personal experiences with it...

I always found it strange that all the people posting that say they don't remove gratuities knew why all those people were in line at Guest Services on the final night.

I always found it strange that all the people posting that say they don't remove gratuities knew why all those people were in line at Guest Services on the final night.

Totally agree. Some may want to settle up their accounts. Some may be questioning or disputing a charge. Some may be looking to lower or remove tips. Some may be there for another reason. Unless one can overhear what each guest says to the GS staff, there's no way of knowing, only guesses.

I'm usually no where near GS on the last night, so I wouldn't have a clue what the long line is about.

There are people who do not want to have anything charged to their credit card even though their account is secured by a card. So on the last night they pay with cash. Several people in the group I was in on my first cruise did that. To me it seems a waste of time because you can just move the money over to your credit card.

Honestly, I've not ever had first-hand experience/knowledge of the actual WHY'S of GS being much more crowded on last nite & debarkation morning...

Only gone by zucks cruise groups years ago, and what I've been told online... I guess there's a lesson here to not believe so easily of the WWW.

I defer to your account because you've had personal experiences with it...

No personal experience here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went to guest services on my last night. It was to ask for change for the laundry on Carnival Sensation - we had previously been on the Triumph which used the Sign and Sail card.

Now I know what all the other cruisers thought I was actually up to. (Hanging head in shame with Charlie Brown Christmas music playing in background). It was the priority window as well, since we had FTTF, which probably made me all that much more evil.

Totally agree. Some may want to settle up their accounts. Some may be questioning or disputing a charge. Some may be looking to lower or remove tips. Some may be there for another reason. Unless one can overhear what each guest says to the GS staff, there's no way of knowing, only guesses.

I'm usually no where near GS on the last night, so I wouldn't have a clue what the long line is about.

Right there with you. So many better things to do on the last night.