Live From Quest, 30th June

cinnamon

Just a quick question. We are scheduled for the same Amazing Evening in Palma during our October cruise. Did you enjoy this evening enough to endorse others in attending if they get the chance? I have very mixed feelings about this event as our last Amazing Evening was far from amazing and we wish we hadn't attended. Too much difficulty in transportation for only a short performance. We spent too much time on a bus, looking for a seat at the performance, and searching for food. Thanks.....jackie

Just a quick question. We are scheduled for the same Amazing Evening in Palma during our October cruise. Did you enjoy this evening enough to endorse others in attending if they get the chance? I have very mixed feelings about this event as our last Amazing Evening was far from amazing and we wish we hadn't attended. Too much difficulty in transportation for only a short performance. We spent too much time on a bus, looking for a seat at the performance, and searching for food. Thanks.....jackie

We enjoyed it apart from the heat and October should be a lot cooler.

The organisation was excellent, my tip would be to take something soft to sit on. The seats are wooden and rather hard. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Monday 2nd continued

Well, we didn’t go ashore this afternoon. I did have a swim and a short sunbathe. The pool area was very quiet with most people going ashore. Apparently the shops were open during the afternoon but most people we spoke to got very hot in the city. We enjoyed relaxing, chatting to fellow cruisers and reading. We had the buffet dinner in Discoveries at 6 and met up with some new Aussie friends to keep company on the Azamazing evening.

It is a huge logistical exercise to get everyone ashore. There was a 10 minute walk from the coach drop off point into the Old Town for the Convent of San Francesc. When we arrived we were encouraged to walk around the cloister where various drinks were provided. In the open air there was a display of local dancing along with two ‘Giants’. In hindsight I would have preferred to be able to stop and watch this properly, rather than being encouraged to keep moving along as each coach arrived. Once the entire group (11 coachloads) were seated back into the church the concert began, a large children’s choir, Vermellets. They sang beautifully but it was difficult to see them from afar. Also the pews were very hard to sit on. The music lasted around half an hour but all together we sat for over an hour I think.

It would have been more enjoyable if there had been some announcements between the songs, telling us what we were hearing.

On returning to the ship we enjoyed listening to Heather, the pianist in Spirits. Whilst we had been ashore the Belgian football team had a narrow win in the World Cup. Consequently there were some very loud Belgian voices who stayed in the bar area, shouting to one another which slightly spoilt the atmosphere for a piano bar. I also don’t like the big screen above the piano showing reruns of old sport as it attracts the eye.

(PS. on Tuesday am we received the usual mid Cruise comment card. I mentioned about the screen and on returning at lunch time had messages from GR and Russ that this would be turned off after the games in future).

Our sailaway from Palma was at 11.00 pm which we watched from the Sunset Bar then headed to bed.

Tuesday 3rd July

Today we docked in Mahon, the capital of Menorca. We have not visited this island previously and it was one of the reasons we chose this itinerary. Mahon has the second largest harbour in the world (after Sydney, Australia) and has been of strategic importance for centuries.

After a bit of a lie-in (our first) we went ashore just after the crew drill began at 10.00 am. In fact we had to step aside in the stairwell to make way for the ‘charred victim’ [emoji50]on a stretcher which was being carried to the medical facility following the fictional fire.

Quest is docked right at the base of the Old Town which is up several flights of open stairs. Before going up we took one of the tourist glass bottomed Catamaran trips around the harbour. It was €11.00 pp for over 60s, €12.50 otherwise. This was an excellent way to see all round the area from the water and included a stop in a cove where we were able to go below and see jellyfish and squid below us. The trip took well over an hour and was thoroughly enjoyable.

Back at the dock we slowly made our way up all the stairs into the town. What a lovely place. Menorca has won us over and we would love to return. It was hot though and two stops for drinks were needed between visiting the shops. Incidentally leather goods seem to be very reasonably priced. I also bought a white top, ready for the party on Thursday.

We found a wonderful covered market set around a cloister with great artisan food outlets. Walking back down was easier on the lungs but harder on the knees. [emoji6].

We had a lovely light lunch on the open deck at the Sunset Bar and then a siesta. Mmm. Our accustomed pattern is emerging again.

The LCV cocktail party is at 5.00 then sailaway at 6.00.

England ️ football is on at 8.00 pm. [emoji45][emoji50]. More interesting to us is an England cricket [emoji967] game but I’m not sure that will be shown anywhere.

TBC. [emoji3]

Hi Corinne, the glass bottomed boat sounded lovely, wish we had seen that.

We havent made any of the LCV events the timings havent worked for us so far.

Enjoying your postings.

Jean

Monday 2nd continued

Well, we didn’t go ashore this afternoon. I did have a swim and a short sunbathe. The pool area was very quiet with most people going ashore. Apparently the shops were open during the afternoon but most people we spoke to got very hot in the city. We enjoyed relaxing, chatting to fellow cruisers and reading. We had the buffet dinner in Discoveries at 6 and met up with some new Aussie friends to keep company on the Azamazing evening.

It is a huge logistical exercise to get everyone ashore. There was a 10 minute walk from the coach drop off point into the Old Town for the Convent of San Francesc. When we arrived we were encouraged to walk around the cloister where various drinks were provided. In the open air there was a display of local dancing along with two ‘Giants’. In hindsight I would have preferred to be able to stop and watch this properly, rather than being encouraged to keep moving along as each coach arrived. Once the entire group (11 coachloads) were seated back into the church the concert began, a large children’s choir, Vermellets. They sang beautifully but it was difficult to see them from afar. Also the pews were very hard to sit on. The music lasted around half an hour but all together we sat for over an hour I think.

It would have been more enjoyable if there had been some announcements between the songs, telling us what we were hearing.

On returning to the ship we enjoyed listening to Heather, the pianist in Spirits. Whilst we had been ashore the Belgian football team had a narrow win in the World Cup. Consequently there were some very loud Belgian voices who stayed in the bar area, shouting to one another which slightly spoilt the atmosphere for a piano bar. I also don’t like the big screen above the piano showing reruns of old sport as it attracts the eye.

(PS. on Tuesday am we received the usual mid Cruise comment card. I mentioned about the screen and on returning at lunch time had messages from GR and Russ that this would be turned off after the games in future).

Our sailaway from Palma was at 11.00 pm which we watched from the Sunset Bar then headed to bed.

Tuesday 3rd July

Today we docked in Mahon, the capital of Menorca. We have not visited this island previously and it was one of the reasons we chose this itinerary. Mahon has the second largest harbour in the world (after Sydney, Australia) and has been of strategic importance for centuries.

After a bit of a lie-in (our first) we went ashore just after the crew drill began at 10.00 am. In fact we had to step aside in the stairwell to make way for the ‘charred victim’ [emoji50]on a stretcher which was being carried to the medical facility following the fictional fire.

Quest is docked right at the base of the Old Town which is up several flights of open stairs. Before going up we took one of the tourist glass bottomed Catamaran trips around the harbour. It was €11.00 pp for over 60s, €12.50 otherwise. This was an excellent way to see all round the area from the water and included a stop in a cove where we were able to go below and see jellyfish and squid below us. The trip took well over an hour and was thoroughly enjoyable.

Back at the dock we slowly made our way up all the stairs into the town. What a lovely place. Menorca has won us over and we would love to return. It was hot though and two stops for drinks were needed between visiting the shops. Incidentally leather goods seem to be very reasonably priced. I also bought a white top, ready for the party on Thursday.

We found a wonderful covered market set around a cloister with great artisan food outlets. Walking back down was easier on the lungs but harder on the knees. [emoji6].

We had a lovely light lunch on the open deck at the Sunset Bar and then a siesta. Mmm. Our accustomed pattern is emerging again.

The LCV cocktail party is at 5.00 then sailaway at 6.00.

England ️ football is on at 8.00 pm. [emoji45][emoji50]. More interesting to us is an England cricket [emoji967] game but I’m not sure that will be shown anywhere.

TBC. [emoji3]

PS.

Sorry for the lack of photos. I will add some from home after the cruise. It just uses too much of my limited data to post them this week.

Thanks for the info.....and you are right that on the last evening we were on one of the last buses which had a major impact on our enjoyment. Since we have taken four cruises on Azamara and Celebrity since then, will we be able to get an earlier bus number?

Thanks for the info.....and you are right that on the last evening we were on one of the last buses which had a major impact on our enjoyment. Since we have taken four cruises on Azamara and Celebrity since then, will we be able to get an earlier bus number?

It is done according to the cabins location. I think they start with suites, passengers with walking difficulties and cabins on the 8th floor.

It is done according to the cabins location. I think they start with suites, passengers with walking difficulties and cabins on the 8th floor.

Right. Mobility issues, corner suite pax, and deck 8/9 pax first, then in descending deck order.

A tip. From my observations the other night, although they filled the pews from front to back according to your bus number, there were pews at the side near the front which didn’t seem to be reserved. So walk down the side and up to those for a good view.

Phil

Yes Phil, but we were only ‘allowed’ to sit where our guide put us.

I’m sitting on the Promenade deck in Portoferraio. I wrote up a chunk of blog yesterday and promptly lost it. [emoji45] Now to start again.

Bus one is all of deck 8 or 9. bus 2 is any type of handicap. Deck 4 is the last bus to go.

When I get tee i rarely sit down so I had great seats and so so seats.

Good description of how the system is supposed to work.

However, on our second Azamazing Evening this month we were on Deck 7 and ended up in Bus 8.

Perhaps tendering had an impact.

Regardless, procured very good seats at the side of the auditorium with no impact upon our enjoyment of the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes Phil, but we were only ‘allowed’ to sit where our guide put us.

I’m sitting on the Promenade deck in Portoferraio. I wrote up a chunk of blog yesterday and promptly lost it. [emoji45] Now to start again.

My tip is don't listen. For you it's immaterial because it's done, but I'm giving advice to someone yet to do it.

Phil

Tuesday 3rd Continued.

We met a lovely couple from Sheffield at the LCV party.

After dinner we watched the show by the Assistant CD, Meg. She’s only 24 and a competent singer and dancer. A bit too much in the ‘little girl in a pageant’ style of choreography for me but still enjoyable. At the end Russ announced that the footie score was close so we retreated to our cabin to see the end of extra time and penalties. DH can’t bear to watch en masse in a bar but the atmosphere was certainly there. Great result in the end,

Wednesday 4th July

Today we had a morning at sea. We went to the lecture about Napoleon in preparation for Corsica and Elba. It was excellent. The best speaker we’ve had on any cruise ship. And we’ve heard lots. [emoji16]

Lunch was a special American barbecue for Independence Day. Burgers, hotdogs, corn, ribs, mac n’cheese etc.

We actually anchored an hour early at 12 noon and were able to get a tender ashore by 12.45, just before the crowd on tours at 1.00. It was another very warm day. The views from the ship of Bonifacio on the cliff were magnificent. However, when we disembarked the tender there were no signs or information on how to get to the town or which way to go. Luckily Captain José was in our tender, dressed in his running gear. He told us which way to walk.

Rather than risk sunstroke or collapse though (being somewhat older and unfit) we walked all round the headland then along the marina. The French atmosphere was very evident, such a change after 4 days in Spain.

At the end of the marina there is a small tourist ‘train’ which does a round trip up to the Haut Ville for €5.00 pp. it was a pleasant ride but having seen the views we decided not to disembark at the top when we saw the big crowd.

We enjoyed strolling back, stopping for a cold drink and mindful of the heat.

A shower was essential once back onboard and we had a short rest before dinner. We had agreed to meet Anna and Jon from CC for dinner at 6.30 in Discoveries and had a very enjoyable meal with them. The dining room was very quiet at that time but very busy after 8.00.

Sailaway was at 7.00 and as we had a table by an aft window we saw Corsica fade into the distance.

The 8.15 show was the 4 new singers and was called Serenade. Unfortunately we missed the first 15 minutes. I loved the costumes and singing but would prefer a few more recognisable songs. It was a small audience.

We returned for the 9.30 show by CD Russ which was much busier. We have seen this show once before but enjoyed it immensely again. He is such a consummate performer and has fantastic energy, despite his advancing years. [emoji28][emoji28][emoji28]. (He’ll never forgive me if he reads this!) [emoji16]

The atmosphere continued up in the Living Room where we even had a bop to ABBA music. Dancing Queen had been a hit when we were courting in 1976 so holds a special place in our hearts. ♥️

A note about the food onboard. Neither of us have yet to eat anything which was disappointing. Everything has been excellent, all credit to Colin, the newest Executive Chef.

Edited by LauraS

My tip is don't listen. For you it's immaterial because it's done, but I'm giving advice to someone yet to do it.

Phil

Phil, DH is far too Germanic and law abiding in temperament to do that. [emoji6]

Thursday 5th July, Elba

We docked in Portoferraio at 8.00 am. Today there is some cloud coverage but it’s still very warm and humid. We walked around the dock area, past the fishing boats selling their overnight catch. There was the stop for another tourist ‘train’ just beyond them and we waited for it to return. €5.00 pp again but a longer trip than yesterday. It took us around the old port, through the town and then out around a hill with hotels and a residential district. A good way to see a little more than we would have walked. We then spent a couple of hours wandering around the town, enjoying the again different atmosphere now that we are in Italy. The cappuccinos were excellent. [emoji6]. I looked in lots of jewellery shops but still can’t find the sort of pieces for which I’m looking. Everything was either very delicate or extremely large and chunky, neither of which is my style.

(We were burgled earlier this year while we were away in India and I still have some insurance money burning a hole in my pocket and a half empty jewellery box containing only the things I had with me and a few things I’ve bought since).

Although initially we were the only ship here other than ferries but around 10.30 the Happag Lloyd ship Europa 2 docked between us and the town. She is around 46,000 tons, has 516 passengers and is the highest rated cruise ship in the Berlitz guides. She does look like a lovely ship but as future Azamara prices are mostly beyond our budget, forget it!

After sitting on the prom deck on the oh-so comfy loungers we’ve retreated to Mosaic for a cuppa.

Tonight is White Night and we don’t leave till 11.00 pm.

Hopefully a bit more dancing is on the cards. [emoji6]. I’m looking forward to Steak and Lobster on the barbecue followed by Crepe Suzette, so will need a little exercise. [emoji3]

Thank you one an all...I do appreciate all the advice you have provided. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. As I mentioned before our experience was not amazing as we were in the next to last bus to the venue. What I neglected to say was that I was on Deck 7 so I am not sure why we given such a late bus. Who knows? We probably will wait to make a decision. Thanks again!

Nice picture of Captain Jose. We will be on the Quest in a couple of weeks from now.

In relation to Ibiza, do you think it is possible to do it on your own? We have never been there before. It has a reputation of a party place. Any comment on that?

We're enjoying reading your postings, Cinnamon. You're obviously having great fun.

W shall be having our first Azamara cruise in 2020! Lisbon to Cape Town. Lots of stops! You've certainly have us thinking about where the Azamazing evening will be...

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!