Alternative to traditional B2B

I'd really like to spend at least 14 consecutive days cruising the Caribbean in winter 2019, hopefully including South American and Central American ports. Rather than doing a traditional B2B, I'd like to build in an even more varied experience by switching ships. I'm thinking two ships with different itineraries that come in and out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale on the same date. Has anyone tried this? Pros and cons? Thanks for any help with this.

This is commonly callled a side-to-side here. Cons: packing and unpacking again, standing in line to check-in and board, transportation to a different pier or port. Pros: different entertainment, different menus (if a different cruise line).

This is commonly callled a side-to-side here. Cons: packing and unpacking again, standing in line to check-in and board, transportation to a different pier or port. Pros: different entertainment, different menus (if a different cruise line).

Agree. Something to be said about not unpacking/packing twice, though I'll do it for any Cruise!

I’m doing something similar next April. I’m on the Navigator 9 night from April 12 - 21, staying one night in Miami and then boarding Mariner the next day from April 22 - 26. Hotels already booked and I’m really looking forward to it [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Con-sometimes you need to spend one night on land. We've done a few side 2 side and the last two had one night on land. We had a Saturday return of the first cruise and a Sunday departure of the second cruise. We had hotel/food expenses for the in between night.

Not sure I would do it that way again.

M

We did one last year in Amsterdam. Did 7 night Norwegian Fjords then switched ships to Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas for 12 night Baltics. It is a hassle switching ships, even had to switch ports in Amsterdam, but was well worth it for the two itineraries.

Keep in mind, in Florida you can easily switch ports. Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, or even to Port Canaveral or Tampa. Car rental companies in Fl. usually have no drop off fees.

I have done a 'side to side' at different ports and different cruise lines. The ports were Miami and Fort Lauderdale. The ships were MSC and Celebrity. I'm doing it again this winter - same ports. Ships will be Jewel of the Seas & Reflection. I fly from the west coast - so the time and expense of flying is the biggest reason I cruise 'side to side'. It's interesting to compare the trips. I've also done b2b. Just depends on the costs and where the cruises are going.

I'm doing a 10 night Southern Caribbean on the Serenade followed by a 5 night Key West/Cuba on the Majesty in November. Getting off on ship and getting on the other in Ft Lauderdale. Trying to figure out the best way to get from on ship to the other.

I’m doing something similar next April. I’m on the Navigator 9 night from April 12 - 21, staying one night in Miami and then boarding Mariner the next day from April 22 - 26. Hotels already booked and I’m really looking forward to it [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like an option I'd be interested in. Thanks!

I'm doing a 10 night Southern Caribbean on the Serenade followed by a 5 night Key West/Cuba on the Majesty in November. Getting off on ship and getting on the other in Ft Lauderdale. Trying to figure out the best way to get from on ship to the other.

I like this combination of Itineraries. Wouldn't you just use a taxi or Uber to get from one pier to the other?

In 2015, we spent a few nights in Ft. Lauderdale, took a 7-day cruise on Celebrity, one night in a hotel, 11-day cruise on Zuiderdam, two nights in Ft. Lauderdale, then 11-day cruise on Legend of the Seas.

The cruises were great, the hotels were fine, but the transitions were just too much. We'd never do that again. Even for one night between two cruises.

I've done this in Port Everglades. A bus was provided to take us from one pier to the other. Check with your concierge or guest services.

A true B2B 10 and 11nts on Legend.

3nts on Majesty from Miami and 11nts on Equinox from Port Everglades. Changed ships the same day.

9nts on Navigator from Miami and 5nts on Freedom from Port Everglades. Changed ships the same day.

If we could we would have done something similar this year, but we had a baby in December.

2019 will only be one week on Harmony and many another cruise later that year.