Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Einzlen?

"Odd" collection of ships in this cruise line, in the meaning of no one overall standardized product. A former soviet cruise ship, a clunker like the Alexander von Humbioldt (which we cruised on as the Voyager), and now the singular class ex-Royal Viking Prinsendam.

Eccentric doesn't work either. I should have used the word "unique". If I spoke German, I would probably be one of Phoenix Reisen's happiest customers - small ships and unique world itineraries? Count me in. Gern.

If I spoke German I too would sail on her. Time to look at Viking Ocean, whose ships can go to downtown Bordeaux and sail to Kiel Canal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

I just received our new booking with Rotterdam!

For us it will be 2 weeks earlier with our voyage! That’s ok. Got even a better suite as well as 200.00 per pp on board credit. Now from Seattle they said Rotterdam will be the new

Prinesdam!! They are so frustrated with all the changes with cruises and actually were not wanting to help me yesterday 😞 said they are bombarded with sooo many people calling!!! I said you know what this is frustrating I understand but you are there for us! I told her I understand but also you need to be respectful with us!!! I was on the phone on hold yesterday for over an hour! I did get groceries put away as well as laundry and lunch!!!! 😉 has m a very easy lay backed person but was alittle frustrated. My PCC is on Vacation and her backup left for our 4th of July early. So I called HAL got a wonderful rep who was able to even give me a better suite! So I’m happy! Now the trick is once we get to FLL from San Diego can we get a TA Med cruise ? Will see! If not I will CA Panama Cruise so we can do the Med!

So sorry for the long blog was frustrated!!

Now I understand when people get their cruise ca!

Denise 😃

I just received our new booking with Rotterdam!

For us it will be 2 weeks earlier with our voyage! That’s ok. Got even a better suite as well as 200.00 per pp on board credit. Now from Seattle they said Rotterdam will be the new

Prinesdam!! They are so frustrated with all the changes with cruises and actually were not wanting to help me yesterday 😞 said they are bombarded with sooo many people calling!!! I said you know what this is frustrating I understand but you are there for us! I told her I understand but also you need to be respectful with us!!! I was on the phone on hold yesterday for over an hour! I did get groceries put away as well as laundry and lunch!!!! 😉 has m a very easy lay backed person but was alittle frustrated. My PCC is on Vacation and her backup left for our 4th of July early. So I called HAL got a wonderful rep who was able to even give me a better suite! So I’m happy! Now the trick is once we get to FLL from San Diego can we get a TA Med cruise ? Will see! If not I will CA Panama Cruise so we can do the Med!

So sorry for the long blog was frustrated!!

Now I understand when people get their cruise ca!

Denise 😃

Denise,

I am really glad it worked out for you and we were very happy on the Rotterdam (pre dry dock) but... the Rotterdam will NEVER be the Prinsendam.

Seattle can say all they want. HAL has lost 60 - 100 (I'm sorry I forget the exact # that P'dam goes to that the other HAL ships can't - in the same position) ports with this change and a lot of river cruises.

And probably, a number of faithful cruisers that were willing to pay the price for the itinerary and the ship.

I can think of a lot of other ships to sell than this one, but I am VERY prejudiced ;)

Denise,

I am really glad it worked out for you and we were very happy on the Rotterdam (pre dry dock) but... the Rotterdam will NEVER be the Prinsendam.

Seattle can say all they want. HAL has lost 60 - 100 (I'm sorry I forget the exact # that P'dam goes to that the other HAL ships can't - in the same position) ports with this change and a lot of river cruises.

And probably, a number of faithful cruisers that were willing to pay the price for the itinerary and the ship.

I can think of a lot of other ships to sell than this one, but I am VERY prejudiced ;)

You are not prejudice at all Jacqui!

We were going to be on your cruise I was so excited and due to husband with travels we had to cancel.

I so agree The a Elegant Explorer is number one! Rotterdam is no comparison at all I agree!,

I am happy for you, Roy and Kathy doing The Grand Voyage Amazon wish we could of done your cruise!

Will be going to our condo in Maui Kaanapali next May and I will think of you and Jose on the ELEGANT EXPLORER.

Denise ☺️

I would hope that the port taxes would go down - it's not the same itinerary ;) Some similar ports but not the same.

Looks like only one port change St. Helier Jersey to St. Peter Port In Guernsey, and a tender at South Queensferry instead of across the bridge at Rosyth in Edinburgh. It will be nice going place to place on a ship rather than driving from place to place like we did the last time.

Looks like only one port change St. Helier Jersey to St. Peter Port In Guernsey, and a tender at South Queensferry instead of across the bridge at Rosyth in Edinburgh. It will be nice going place to place on a ship rather than driving from place to place like we did the last time.

St. Peter Port is very pretty. Assuming you can get there, you will really enjoy it. (It's not an easy port to tender to unless you are on a smaller ship - I hope you can).

I'm not keen on tenders, we had too many last time and I'd take a docking over a tender any time but as long as you are happy, that's the main thing. :D

You are not prejudice at all Jacqui!

We were going to be on your cruise I was so excited and due to husband with travels we had to cancel.

I so agree The a Elegant Explorer is number one! Rotterdam is no comparison at all I agree!,

I am happy for you, Roy and Kathy doing The Grand Voyage Amazon wish we could of done your cruise!

Will be going to our condo in Maui Kaanapali next May and I will think of you and Jose on the ELEGANT EXPLORER.

Denise ☺️

Thanks Denise :D

Just received our new booking number for what was the early August 2019 Prinsendam Scottish Highlands, now on the Rotterdam. Price did go down and Prinsendam early booking bonus did carry over. Hmmm, and taxes/ fees&port expenses went from $540 to $400.

You would expect them to go down. A fair portion of the fees are fixed, relatively independent of ship size. With a larger ship the total cost is being divided by more passengers. Thus less cost per passenger.

St. Peter Port is very pretty. Assuming you can get there, you will really enjoy it. (It's not an easy port to tender to unless you are on a smaller ship - I hope you can).

I'm not keen on tenders, we had too many last time and I'd take a docking over a tender any time but as long as you are happy, that's the main thing. :D

Well I'd rather be on the Prinsendam, might be nice to have an unexpected sea day on this port heavy cruise if we don't get into St. Peter Port, and rather be in a Signature Suite on the EE rather than negotiating the upsell to a Neptune on the Rotterdam (crossing my fingers 6025 is available), but I'll make lemonade out of the lemon I've been given. And cross the Edinburgh Tattoo off my bucket list.:D

And hope to finally get a Signature Suite on another cruise since we've always gotten irresistible upsells to a Neptune every time I try for an SS.

Well I'd rather be on the Prinsendam, might be nice to have an unexpected sea day on this port heavy cruise if we don't get into St. Peter Port, and rather be in a Signature Suite on the EE rather than negotiating the upsell to a Neptune on the Rotterdam (crossing my fingers 6025 is available), but I'll make lemonade out of the lemon I've been given. And cross the Edinburgh Tattoo off my bucket list.:D

And hope to finally get a Signature Suite on another cruise since we've always gotten irresistible upsells to a Neptune every time I try for an SS.

Larger ships, tonnage wise and passenger wise (but nicer ships with better passenger space ratios) get into St Peters port. I will go in there next year for the second time and not on Holland America. There were no issues with the tender.

With all honesty, we thought Prinsendam food and service were standard for the fleet and the physical plant was unimpressive. I won’t go into detail as someone will surely yell at me.

Larger ships, tonnage wise and passenger wise (but nicer ships with better passenger space ratios) get into St Peters port. I will go in there next year for the second time and not on Holland America. There were no issues with the tender.

With all honesty, we thought Prinsendam food and service were standard for the fleet and the physical plant was unimpressive. I won’t go into detail as someone will surely yell at me.

No one will yell at you but I for one am not surprised to see your post since you have repeated it over and over and over again on every Prinsendam thread.

For me, the food and service beat the other HAL ships and Oceania for that matter. that's another story and my LIVE thread is there to be seen by anyone that wants.

Better passenger ship ratios? The P'dam has one of the nice ones. Don't rely on your book, check the stats. and the crew to passenger ratio is nearly 2:1. pretty dam good and the service shows.

The ship is leaving. I am sure you are happy but for those of us that enjoyed it, do us the favour of not putting it down from your cruise experience that is probably around 5 years ago. (Feel free to correct me but I think it was 2013/2014).

No one will yell at you but I for one am not surprised to see your post since you have repeated it over and over and over again on every Prinsendam thread.

The ship is leaving. I am sure you are happy but for those of us that enjoyed it, do us the favour of not putting it down from your cruise experience that is probably around 5 years ago. (Feel free to correct me but I think it was 2013/2014).

Nor is anyone surprised at your Prinsendam posts either, which you repeat over and over and over again too. That is the way it works. so no reason to scold. I am sorry you are losing your Prinsendam. I know it means a lot to you. However we also had pretty much the same experience and sammiedawg - itinerary was great, but onboard was meh. Five years ago. Not sure why that would change or why we got short-changed five years ago. Count us as the one and done as far as the Prinsendam went. But she was a proud member of the HAL family and served a special niche very well.

If I spoke German, I would probably be one of Phoenix Reisen's happiest customers - small ships and unique world itineraries? Count me in. Gern.

OlsSalt, thumps up!(y)

Looking forward to Phoenix future and hopefully many cruises on their excellent vessels ...:)

There's plenty of water depth to get there, not sure about the cruise dock length, but you could always tender, and they have many water taxis to use in addition to the ship's tenders if needed.

Thank you for your kind and informed response, it is very much appreciated.

For me, the food and service beat the other HAL ships and Oceania for that matter. that's another story and my LIVE thread is there to be seen by anyone that wants.

Better passenger ship ratios? The P'dam has one of the nice ones. Don't rely on your book, check the stats. and the crew to passenger ratio is nearly 2:1. pretty dam good and the service shows.

I have no emotion one way or the other about Prinsendam leaving the fleet. I don’t wrap myself up one way or the other about a cruise ship.

I also got two of the emails as I had booked from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale next fall. I quickly booked the final voyage, paid the deposit and will talk to HAL about transferring over one of the FCDs (and the goodwill OBC) later in the week after the rush calms down.

I'm not a huge Prinsendam fan, only been once, but the final voyage is very special as I found out three years ago on the Statendam.

Would you mind expanding on what you found special about the final voyage?

I have no emotion one way or the other about Prinsendam leaving the fleet. I don’t wrap myself up one way or the other about a cruise ship.

And yet you just about never post on the HAL forum, with the one exception that you never miss an opportunity to slam the Prinsendam.

After all these years, it has gone past predictable to tiresome. At least in a year (or so), that will come to an end. There's an 'up' side to everything, even the sad news of the Prinsendam leaving the fleet.

And yet you just about never post on the HAL forum, with the one exception that you never miss an opportunity to slam the Prinsendam.

After all these years, it has gone past predictable to tiresome. At least in a year (or so), that will come to an end. There's an 'up' side to everything, even the sad news of the Prinsendam leaving the fleet.

He is not "slamming" the Prinsendam, just pointing out it did not live up to any prior special reputation. We felt the same way and have reported that in the past too- on board it was a pretty standard HAL experience for us too, with some unwelcome quirks but with some pretty remarkable Neptune cabins which did set it apart, but at an expected price. Prinsendam Neptune Lounge was the worst we had ever experienced in location, layout and offerings. No one is faulting or "slamming" the Prinsendam's special size or special itineraries; just that the onboard experience was not that special compared to the standard HAL experience. Nice Pinnacle dining room setting for breakfast - that was a highlight.

Add me to the list of people who were not impressed with Prinsendam. One and done for me. She had some great itineraries but the ship itself was very vanilla and dare I say it - boring. To each their own but I’m another who never understood the special following she seems to have on these boards.

And disposing of Prinsendam will -- finally -- put to rest the quaint notion that HAL is anything but a mass market line pitched as an older-than-average demographic. That's not bad. It just is. And Prinsendam and her loyalists tended to skew the image. Anyone looking for the experience of a smaller ship that can reach smaller ports needs to go elsewhere. The Maasdam experiment is, I think, quite different.