My really stupid cruise move

We have come very close to missing a 14 day cruise out of Boston some years ago due to cancelled flights the morning of. That really taught ME a lesson! However, we are doing a short 3 day in December out of Port Canaveral and my wife made mention of flying in the morning of....crazy!

I’m not as young as I used to be and running through the airport is no longer fun! We live in N.C. and although we don’t get a bunch of snow here, I have zero hopes that we’d ever make it the morning of. I’m planning on driving the day before!

We have only flown in day of the trip one time - it was enough. No problems but my nerves were stretched tight until we got on the ship, not a great way to start the vacation :( .

Now flying in the day before is not always a guarantee but it surely helps. In January 2008 my sisters and I were flying into MCO the day before we left on Soverign out of Canaveral. Our flight was to leave BWI at 9am, non stop and arrive around 1 or so. Plan was to rent a car and drive out that night so that we could enjoy Cocoa Beach for a bit.

Yeah, not quite. Our plane had to have the nose cone (yes, the nose cone) replaced so it was delayed. We watched at least two other flights that they could have moved our passenger load to take off while we sat. Airtran decided it looked better on their stats to have one severly delayed flight rather than three (which is what it would have looked like if they took the plan for flight two and gave it to flight 1 etc.). We finally took off almost 6 hours after our original time. If we were flying in day of no way we would have made the ship.

I thought I'd share this story...

Years ago, hubby and decided to take a cruise out of Miami in March. We were flying from New Hampshire to Miami to board the ship. I decided, in my infinite stupidity, that it would be fine to book a very early flight the day the ship left port. If we landed in Miami at 9:00 AM, that gave s plenty of time to board by 4:00 PM.

It'd save some money on a hotel and, besides, what could possibly happen....in New Hampshire.....in MARCH.

That's right - it could snow and out flight could get delayed.

Long story short(er), we ended up landing in Port Canaveral (best we could do) instead of Miami. We RAN out f the airport and hopped a cab. It is 3:00 PM in Miami traffic. Port Canaveral is not so close to Miami. I have no idea how the cab driver did it, but we barely made it. We tipped the cabbie heavily and RAN on board.

I have rarely needed a drink so badly in my life.

Moral of the story? Spring for the hotel!! Don't be a dock runner!

:cool:

Michigan here. Except for once in 1988(Honeymoon) I always fly in day early, since retiring always 2 days now...

We once were flying out of Michigan in Feb going on out first 10nite cruise. Plane was taxi to take off and we slid off and got stuck. Dug us out, back to terminal and wait. Instead of getting to Miami at 11am was 8pm. Flying in day before, was a good thing as first port was 2 days away and anyway was Labadee...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I am very glad you had a cab driver who got you there in time.

We ALWAYS spend the night before our cruise even when we are going out of Port Canaveral when its only a bit over two hour drive time for us. You don't have to be flying to have a problem, there could be problems on the road such as accidents, spillage, closures, detours as well as accidents and even flat tires. Its best to pay a bit more for a hotel, get there the day before spend a nice relaxing evening there and even having a nice dinner then boarding the ship the next day......no long drive and no worries, its definitely the way you want to start your first cruise day.

Yeah, not quite. Our plane had to have the nose cone (yes, the nose cone) replaced so it was delayed. We watched at least two other flights that they could have moved our passenger load to take off while we sat. Airtran decided it looked better on their stats to have one severly delayed flight rather than three (which is what it would have looked like if they took the plan for flight two and gave it to flight 1 etc.). We finally took off almost 6 hours after our original time. If we were flying in day of no way we would have made the ship.

A quick comment... I'm a retired Airline Pilot. First, need I say more of why I ALWAYS go at least a day early to a cruise.

As for taking other planes, there are many factors involved. Not only would you delay 3 flights from Atlanta, you'd also delay every flight down the line that those 3 planes were scheduled to fly. Additionally, planes are often scheduled in part to facilitate maintenance over night. So to start bouncing planes around could mean that an airframe would not end up in a maintenance base. And that's the tip of the iceberg for rescheduling planes. There are crew issues, passengers who'd miss connections, etc.

I liked the story better when your flight landed in Port Canaveral!! I figured you must have been an astronaut or something?? Now the story isn't as exciting!! :-D

I live 20 minutes from Manchester, NH, and the only cruises I will take will be out of New England or New York or New Jersey....Anywhere I don't have to fly!! Perhaps I'll fly to Baltimore if the deal is good enough!!

Never take a chance during the winter. :-)

Even if everything goes correctly and you make all of your flights, you'll need to get up very early to make early morning flights. Getting up very early and taking an early flight just isn't relaxing for me and the first day isn't as enjoyable as it could be. If you have the time, flying in a day early is a small investment to better enjoy your cruise.

Hi,

The only time we have sailed the day we get into the port was a few years ago when we flew from Las Vegas into San Francisco, luckily we flew very early in the morning but when we arrived we had to wait for about an hour to get onto a stand because Air Force One was causing havoc as it was Navy Week in San Francisco which again caused traffic problems from the airport to the port.

We sail mostly from Southampton but always drive down a day or so beforehand. On one occasion there was an accident on the main road in Oxfordshire which caused about 60 passengers to miss the start of their cruise. The old saying time and tide wait for no man kicked in.

My holiday starts the moment that I lock my front door so the earlier the better to get off.

If you can't afford the time /money for a night-before hotel, you can't afford the cruise!

We don't always go all the way to the port, but we insist upon being within an hour of the port. If you're driving and want a cheap place to stay, try Days Inn in Titusville; it's just off the interstate and about $80/night.

This is a very good point! We are also in NH and book flights at multiple airports on several days prior to the cruise.

New England weather...wait a minute and it will change! :)

Happy cruising!

Amanda

A quick comment... I'm a retired Airline Pilot. First, need I say more of why I ALWAYS go at least a day early to a cruise.

As for taking other planes, there are many factors involved. Not only would you delay 3 flights from Atlanta, you'd also delay every flight down the line that those 3 planes were scheduled to fly. Additionally, planes are often scheduled in part to facilitate maintenance over night. So to start bouncing planes around could mean that an airframe would not end up in a maintenance base. And that's the tip of the iceberg for rescheduling planes. There are crew issues, passengers who'd miss connections, etc.

Oh I do understand that, except that all three flights involved were direct flights from DCA to MCO. Was just very frustrating and not customer centric in my view. Since your view is from behind the scenes I'm sure there is a reason, but sometimes you have to look at it from what your customer sees/percieves. But this was years ago and is over and done with no harm to my cruise so it's all good;p

As an ex cab driver I was asked to take my fare to Southampton in exceptionally snowy/icy weather. Son had to bring mil to a meeting point in his 4x4 before I could even pick her up. Finally got there to find no mention of the ship, it turned out she had got the wrong day but luckily it was the next day not the previous day.

I need to bookmark this and read it when I kvetch about a 45-minute flight delay.

Hope you had a fabulous cruise after all that.

Well we did two. The first one, Majesty OTS 3nts Coco Cay and Nassau. Won't be doing that again! :o

The second one was 11 nts on Celebrity Equinox, loved the ship but not all ports. I feel no need to go back to Puerto Limon, Colon or Cartagena.

Back in the 1990's my husband and I flew from DFW to Miami for a connecting flight to San Juan. Our ship was scheduled to leave San Juan at 10pm. We only had 55 minutes scheduled between the connecting flight, so I was already worried. Well of course our flight from DFW was late taking off and then there was a massive weather system we had to go around. There were at least 30 other people on our plane who were going on the same cruise we were (this was back when we booked the flights through the cruise line) and everyone was panicking about potentially missing the connecting flight.

We finally got to the gate in Miami with about 6 or 7 minutes before our connecting flight was scheduled to take off. My husband and I happened to be in the first row of coach, so as soon as they opened the door we bolted (I was much more agile back then). We ran - and I do mean ran - through the terminal to our gate. I still feel bad about the older gentleman I scared half to death as I did a hurdle over his luggage, but we were on a mission!

We made it to our gate and amazingly our plane was still there! We charged onto the gangway and they literally closed the door right behind us. As we dropped into our seats and the plane backed away from the gate, we realized that we were the only ones from our DFW flight that had made it. We felt terrible for everyone that was probably standing at the gate watching their plane leave without them.

When we got to San Juan and boarded our ship, we learned that the weather system that had slowed us down had also slowed down planes across the southeast U.S. and at least 400 passengers were delayed. So instead of leaving on time, the ship stayed in port until about 1am and tried to get as many passengers as possible to the port.

It actually turned out really nice, because they did a big Mexican buffet on the aft lido deck and we got to watch a late-night fireworks show that took place in San Juan.

Back in the 1990's my husband and I flew from DFW to Miami for a connecting flight to San Juan. Our ship was scheduled to leave San Juan at 10pm. We only had 55 minutes scheduled between the connecting flight, so I was already worried. Well of course our flight from DFW was late taking off and then there was a massive weather system we had to go around. There were at least 30 other people on our plane who were going on the same cruise we were (this was back when we booked the flights through the cruise line) and everyone was panicking about potentially missing the connecting flight.

We finally got to the gate in Miami with about 6 or 7 minutes before our connecting flight was scheduled to take off. My husband and I happened to be in the first row of coach, so as soon as they opened the door we bolted (I was much more agile back then). We ran - and I do mean ran - through the terminal to our gate. I still feel bad about the older gentleman I scared half to death as I did a hurdle over his luggage, but we were on a mission!

We made it to our gate and amazingly our plane was still there! We charged onto the gangway and they literally closed the door right behind us. As we dropped into our seats and the plane backed away from the gate, we realized that we were the only ones from our DFW flight that had made it. We felt terrible for everyone that was probably standing at the gate watching their plane leave without them.

When we got to San Juan and boarded our ship, we learned that the weather system that had slowed us down had also slowed down planes across the southeast U.S. and at least 400 passengers were delayed. So instead of leaving on time, the ship stayed in port until about 1am and tried to get as many passengers as possible to the port.

It actually turned out really nice, because they did a big Mexican buffet on the aft lido deck and we got to watch a late-night fireworks show that took place in San Juan.

What about your checked luggage? Don't see how it could have made that connecting flight. If you actually fit a week's worth of cruise clothing in your carry-on's could you please tell dw how it's done?

I have played it both ways. If it's just my wife and I, I'll fly out of Boston to Florida day of. HOWEVER, there are a couple qualifiers:

I watch the weather very closely and if there is significant concern, I jump on an earlier flight the day before.

Worst case scenario, I can't get on an earlier flight to my destination, I talk to the airline and tell them to just get me SOMEWHERE, ANYWHERE before the snow comes, and then we'll figure out the rest. I once grabbed a flight to Atlanta and made alternate arrangements.

Fortunately, I'm in the position where if need be, I have the flexibility in my schedule to leave early. It also helps to have status with airlines as it gets you priority phone numbers and better options to reschedule.

Now, we're going on a cruise with TWELVE of us (myself and wife, her parents, four kids, and four kids friends) in August. I don't want to have to figure out how to get a dozen people there if something screwy happens. So for that, we go the night before!

Do you flight Southwest? Most airlines would charge $150 in change fees unless they've already issued a travel waiver. I'd rather just spend the points or money on a hotel in the first place. And I don't think that status gives you better options, but you do get to the phone reps a little faster than hoi polloi.;)

We cruised out of Barcelona last year and while my two younger kids and I went two days early to sightsee, my college age daughter couldn't leave until the night before due to work. She was booked on an overnight flight landing around 9 am in Barcelona. She ended up on a bus from Manhattan to JFK that got caught in rush hour traffic and the luggage cut off time was inching closer and closer. She kept texting me her progress and I was on pins and needles, it was early am hours in Barcelona but I couldn't go to sleep until I knew she was on the flight. She made it to check with literally 5 minutes to spare before they would have cut off checked luggage. Finally around 4 am my time, she texted she was sitting on the plane and I could finally go to sleep. Whew!

What about your checked luggage? Don't see how it could have made that connecting flight. If you actually fit a week's worth of cruise clothing in your carry-on's could you please tell dw how it's done?

Our luggage joined us the next day when we docked at St. Thomas. I was shocked they actually got it to us so quickly, but they had a whole cargo section of cruise luggage offloaded and sent to the dock.

In recent years I do actually manage to only take a carry on for a 7-day cruise. Sometimes I even bring too much in that one bag. But we don't do formal nights anymore, so that significantly cuts down on the space needed.

We're also in NC and have sailed several times out of Fla ports. We have driven on sailing day as well as home on return. At the end of those drives we'd always be hot, sweaty and cranky. It kind of negates the relaxation factor. Now, we add a day or two on both ends and it works much better. We arrive refreshed and don't feel rushed on return.

I read your story the other day but never got around to replying until now. What a story! My heart would be beating out of my chest! We always fly in a day early, and last April we sailed Harmony in the midst of the Delta crisis due to the storm in Atlanta causing several flights to be cancelled, including ours. I was panicking that we would miss the cruise, and we almost rented an Enterprise to drive 24 hours to FLL (we live in MN [emoji15]) until American Airlines saved the day and got us on a connecting flight! We are still loyal to Delta, they were great this year! But we made it, and will continue to fly at least a day early! So happy to hear it all worked out for you in the end!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk