If I Owned a Cruise Ship..........

jbooth2099

If I owned a cruise ship, I would make a few changes.

#1) Replace the jogging track with a Go-Cart track.JB

I read #1 and thought to myself, This is a Carnival cruiser. Lol

I thought Norwegian. Joy and Bliss actually have this.

Instead of a cruise ship, I have thought about owning a large, high-speed car ferry, similar to some of the European ones, that could carry several hundred cars, and a couple thousand passengers, on a high speed run, of say 36 hours between New York and Port Canaveral. It would offer many of the features of a cruise ship, but also serve snowbirds, or families wanting their own cars while staying in Florida.

It would target some of the same market as the Auto Train, but would take travelers all the way to/from New York, not just Virginia. It would take somewhat longer, but the comfort, and on board fun activities, would be very enjoyable. Something like this was tried in the '70's, but failed due to cabotage laws requiring transferring in the Bahama's to another ship. Having a US registered ship would eliminate that complication.

1. No smoking anywhere on board, inside or outside.
  2. Actually enforce kids curfew.
  3. Timed reservation for outdoor chairs similar to movie theater seating. Cannot be booked more than 24hrs in advance or longer than 4hrs in a 24hr period. Must check in to your chair at least once every half hour or you lose your reservation. Those that want longer than 4 hours in a 24hr period are put on a stand-by list.
  4. Piggybacking off #3, if you want to be near the pool but dont want a chair, offer locker rentals to leave your stuff. This would be for sitting at a bar without having to hold all your stuff or occupy a chair.
  5. While we're at it, specific seat reservations for shows in the theater, not just reservations to get in.
  6. Cruise planner includes all activities for the duration of the cruise, not just the next day's events. Make this available 1 week before cruise starts.

Edited by GSOTall1

I like the idea of booking seats for the theatre for some shows, but otherwise I think the current system works reasonably well. In regards to pool loungers and such, if the staff actually enforced the rules, chair hogs would not exist unless they were actually on the chair the whole time.

My brain is having a breakdown trying to work through the logistics of this one.

It is not too difficult, - They didn't say they had to be current.

Besides, compared to the online news services everything in the paper is old and most of the newspapers content are opinion pieces and such.

Some good suggestions - but why not some sort of selection committee to review the applicants for passage - to somehow cull out the seat-savers, food-touchers, line-jumpers, and other borderline sociopaths who diminish everyone else’s cruise experiences.

But then no one would have anyone to complain about;p

I would do away with the library, art auctions, and smoking. All non-alcoholic drinks would be included, there would be no dress policy except you would have to have shirt and shoes on in the dining rooms. I would also have the comedy club in the main theater with multiple shows. I do like the go-cart track idea.

I would do away with the library, art auctions, and smoking. All non-alcoholic drinks would be included, there would be no dress policy except you would have to have shirt and shoes on in the dining rooms.

I hope you would include pants for men and skirts or pants for women.....or maybe not. :D:):)

:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

My ship, the Ocean Angel, for cruising "now and Zen" would have a huge multiple language library/contemporary art gallery. Only 100% organic, non-gmo food and toiletries. No off-gassing carpet anywhere and 100% organic, fair-trade unbleached cotton linens.

There would be a dedicated meditation, yoga, and t'ai chi center. The ionization pool would rival Canyon Ranch's and watsu and other water therapies would be offered at no extra charge. There would be separate jogging and walking tracks built so that loungers could not be pulled onto the tracks. Spa services would be free but tipping would be allowable provided no hard selling of products happened.

There would be no smoking anywhere, no art auctions, no shilling for Diamonds International, Cariloha, etc. or expensive ship excursions. These activities would be replaced by a speakers bureau featuring progressive speakers from many disciplines - similar to TED talks.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Why no alcoholic beverages?

Why no cruises to Cuba?

Muster drills are mandatory by law. The cruise lines don't do them for entertainment.

No cruises to Cuba because there are people there who were granted assylum that are wanted for murder in the US .I personally will not cruise there as long as these fugitives are allowed to stay in Cuba.

No alcoholic beverages solely because I would love to see an alcohol free environment.

Muster drills should be uniformed on all cruise lines .Some have them outdoors.Some indoors.

Do you REALLY believe that CC posters could EVER find themselves unable to come up with gripes?

I was referring to the passengers being vetted but yeah it applies to CC members as well, if they could get onto the ship.;p.

It is not too difficult, - They didn't say they had to be current.

Besides, compared to the online news services everything in the paper is old and most of the newspapers content are opinion pieces and such.

On MSC Meraviglia in the Mediterranean last summer we had the current Dagens Nyheter outside the door everyday when we went to breakfast. You could choose among papers from all over the world so we picked a Swedish paper to get some news from home.

I must say that online news services is far from as good as a paper. I will always love to read a paper but online news services doesn't interest me at all.

I'm partial to navybankerteacher's selection committee idea.

But my committee would exclude EVERYBODY except my family and friends. :D

Heck, I'd even have them exclude some of my family. ;)

I would be worried, I would exclude myself. ;p

As Groucho Marx once said, 'I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.'

1. No loud music at the pool

2. No kids

3. Steak and lobster on the menu every night

4. No smoking

5. Single deck blackjack

6. The number of passengers will never exceed 2/3 of the chairs that will fit on the pool deck and atrium collectively.

7. Mandatory replacement of all mattresses every 6 months

8. No passengers with entitlement issues (except of course me).

9. Gentlemen wearing hats at the table will be told their orders are being sent to the pool deck, rain or shine, as that’s what hats are for.

10. Attempting to enter the elevator before those getting off have done so will result in your elevator privelages being revoked. Stairs for you the rest of the trip.

I would do away with the library, art auctions, and smoking. All non-alcoholic drinks would be included, there would be no dress policy except you would have to have shirt and shoes on in the dining rooms. I would also have the comedy club in the main theater with multiple shows. I do like the go-cart track idea.

Wow, pants not needed.