Do you use a travel agent or book with NCL direct?

Don't you have to work for an airline or other travel related business to qualify for Interline rates?

True....ONLY TO A CERTAIN EXTENT.

But then again people cannot take drinks onboard most cruiselines, people cannot take surge protectors onboard,

people cannot or are not supposed to block balcony doors from closing, people are not supposed to smoke on balconies, people are not supposed to hog chairs, people cannot take food ashore from ships, people are not supposed to share drinks, people are not supposed to save theater seaats......yada, yada, yada.....

You get the drift.

Edited by 1AL

I always offer NCL to compete with the TA price, they can never even get near, I book packages with flight, pre stay hotel. Can’t mention the agents name, the post will be removed.

I assume, when you say that NCL can't get close you are talking about the cost for the whole package.

I would certainly expect NCLs price for the cruise, flights and hotel combined to be a lot more than a travel agent would charge for that. They are also a lot more expensive than you pay when booking all the elements separately.

I have done a few cruises with Norwegian and plan on using them in the future. I have one payed up for October. I've always booked direct with NCL either online or via an NCL cruise consultant. Would I get something more if I booked through an agent? I like Norwegian, just not sure whether I should try an agent next time. Advice?

I don't have status with NCL, as this is our first cruise. I used ************* dot com to see what they could offer and there were a few travel companies that provided quotes. One was significantly lower than NCL with some good perks (free OBC, port credits, etc), so we chose to go with them. The process has been very smooth so far. We are going on the cruise August 6th to AK.

True....ONLY TO A CERTAIN EXTENT.

But then again people cannot take drinks onboard most cruiselines, people cannot take surge protectors onboard,

people cannot or are not supposed to block balcony doors from closing, people are not supposed to smoke on balconies, people are not supposed to hog chairs, people cannot take food ashore from ships, people are not supposed to share drinks, people are not supposed to save theater seaats......yada, yada, yada.....

You get the drift.

So I took your suggestion used our friend Google but based on the agencies I found, it appears you have to be an employee or a retiree of an airline or similar. Am I correct in presuming that this is never verified by the agency or cruise line? That you simply book and don’t have to show the company identification as one has to do when flying non-rev?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I took your suggestion used our friend Google but based on the agencies I found, it appears you have to be an employee or a retiree of an airline or similar. Am I correct in presuming that this is never verified by the agency or cruise line? That you simply book and don’t have to show the company identification as one has to do when flying non-rev?

Your 3-sentence post contains 3 inaccuracies! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It also depends on what class of cabin you are looking to purchase. I travel solo in the cheapest cabin on the boat. usually when I consider a TA, they can give me the same price as NCL and a $25 OBC- not worth it to give up the ability to purchase spa passes, book my shows. etc. If one was staying in the Haven with multiple people, they are spending 10-20x my cruise price and would get perks to match that.

Why can't you book your shows, spa passes, etc when booking with a TA?

Bill

Why can't you book your shows, spa passes, etc when booking with a TA?

Bill

You can, I have sailed twice, once booked thru an online TA, once direct. The interaction through MyNCL was identical, other than not getting the upgrade offer on the TA booking.

• Like 1

You can, I have sailed twice, once booked thru an online TA, once direct. The interaction through MyNCL was identical, other than not getting the upgrade offer on the TA booking.

That's what I thought and why I asked.

Thank you for confirming that.:)

Bill

The TA I have been using for the last few years for my NCL cruises is able to get me approx 10% of my cruise in refundable OBC in addition to whatever NCL is currently offering....and yes I am able to book all of my shows and dinner reservations on my own without going through the TA.

I have three friends who are TA and they each get mad if I book directly but they'd also get mad if I used one of them over the others. I did use one when we did the Med cruise on Oceania two years ago, but it was more hassle than it was worth. This time, I asked my TA what deals she could get for me and the only additional thing would've been $25 OBC or something ridiculous like that. The pricing for the rooms was the same so I didn't see any reason to do that. I tend to be a control freak so I prefer to not have a middle person between myself and NCL or other cruise line.

I should add that once I do my initial booking, I pretty much don't deal with my agent unless there is a price drop - everything else is done as normal through NCL website. I did see on my latest cruise that my fare (15‰ below the website) was not eligible for the "Norwegian Upgrade Advantage Program", so something to ask about if you care (I didn't at the discount I got).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I never have and never will use a TA. There is absolutely noting of value they can add that I cannot get on my own and I do not want some third party stuck in between me and NCL. TAs have no additional "clout" with the cruise line and I do not want to have to track down a TA to get something done when I need it.

Scenario A : Book direct.

1 If I need something I call NCL directly.

2 We discuss the options and I make a decision.

3 End of story.

Scenario B : Book with TA.

1 If I need something I call TA.

2 TA eventually calls NCL.

3 TA calls me back with information.

4 I have questions for NCL that I ask the TA.

5 TA eventually calls NCL.

6 TA calls me back with answers.

(4,5,6 repeat endlessly)

96 I eventually find out my options and I make a decision.

97 TA eventually calls NCL with my decision.

98 TA calls me back to confirm (hopefully options have not expired or changed)

99 FINALLY End of story.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why so many think that using a TA somehow affects thier ability to prebook stuff or they have less control. Once you have a confirmed reservation number you log onto the cruise website like everyone else. You can book shows, spa, dinner, excursion without ever needing to call the TA. The only reason I've ever had to call my TA after booking is when I wanted to change rooms/categories or snag a price drop. And the one I use has never had an issue doing that. And I get loads more stuff using them. On my upcoming cruise I got all the NCL stuff (drinks and dining) plus $200 obc and another 2 night dining package and $50 shore excursion credit per port. I'll take those extras vs booking direct any day.

I use an online TA. There a a couple biggies out there. Every time they have better deals that generally save me a couple hundred bucks over booking direct with NCL. On my most recent Bliss cruise this past June with the OBC and DSC credits, they saved me about $700 over booking same class cabin direct with NCL.

And I Was till able to call NCL to book shows, dining, etc.

for those of you booking with TA's and getting a significant savings or benefits, what cabin class are you booking and for how many people? Trying to compare my solo experience to y'alls.
Balconies

we always book direct with our PCC at norwegian. i think TA's are a waste...and i like having control of my reservation in the event there are issues.

would you think they are a waste when you get extra perks from them or when they can help you more if there is a problem? What about the planning for hotels, transportation etc without having to do all the research yourself? I do agree you do not have control over your booking as much. To me, this would be the only reason to book direct. Now, for those who really enjoy all the research doing it on your own is wonderful, but it can also be very time consuming. I know how long some TAs spend making all the details to together. Of course the secret is finding a really good and dedicated TA.

you are correct and he is full of, you know what. Of course he gives examples of things we should not do, but do anyway. That is quite different from doing something that can result in fines, losing a license etc. I think I have a pretty good idea how the system works: I am a retired agent and 2 or my 3 kids are retired airline employees, one retired as a VP. I can only add, I would never want to do business with a company that is breaking the rules and down right shady. And I certainly would not come on a public forum and tell the whole world about it.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have three friends who are TA and they each get mad if I book directly but they'd also get mad if I used one of them over the others. I did use one when we did the Med cruise on Oceania two years ago, but it was more hassle than it was worth. This time, I asked my TA what deals she could get for me and the only additional thing would've been $25 OBC or something ridiculous like that. The pricing for the rooms was the same so I didn't see any reason to do that. I tend to be a control freak so I prefer to not have a middle person between myself and NCL or other cruise line.

I do understand the control freak part and I wouldn't want to try and figure out which friend to use for what.

Maybe you have had the best reason so far for not using an agent.

I suppose you fail to realize that you asked 3 questions in 3 sentences and I answered them for you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Can you please come to the point and stop beating around the bush?

To qualify for the interline rates, the Interline agencies require a scanned copy of your ID card and last payslip, or a letter from the airline/cargo/ international courier company (on their official letterhead), stating that you are a present or retired employee.

The airline/cargo/international courier company should still be operational.

Edited by drsel