Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

Not aggressive, but you will be approached numerous times on embarkation. If you say no, they kindly go away.
On embarkation, we were given a red carpet welcome and always approached by waiters kindly serving us champagne and mimosas. (not sales pitches). Edited by drsel

That sounds amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is. Celebrity is an amazing cruise line. Excellent food, service and shows.

Celebrity 5* is a class above Royal 4*--4.5* and owned by the same company RCCL.

Edited by drsel

On embarkation, we were given a red carpet welcome and always approached by waiters kindly serving us champagne and mimosas. (not sales pitches).

Wondering if they charged for the mimosas and champagne?

We just came off Oasis today and we did not have anyone try to sell us anything through out the whole cruise.

We purchased a dining package prior to the cruise and don’t eat in the MDR so maybe that’s why.

Not looking for problems and I do plan to enjoy my cruise.

Perfect outlook! So often we go into things with preconceived notions that it detracts from the actual experience. You will enjoy your cruise, and if for some reason some things do go awry, hopefully you can isolate those instances from the overall experience.

Have fun!

Perfect outlook! So often we go into things with preconceived notions that it detracts from the actual experience. You will enjoy your cruise, and if for some reason some things do go awry, hopefully you can isolate those instances from the overall experience.

Have fun!

Thank you! I’m sure we will have a blast as it’s our first trip alone since we got married over 12 years ago.

What? Your 1st trip alone since you got married? What about your honeymoon? Was that spent with other people? In laws??

We went to the mountains 4 days alone when we got married then had kids and haven’t gone on any trips without them.

I am quite confused as to how many people find the drink package not worth it? For our cruise on the Allure it was $45 a day PP, drinks average between $12-$15 each. It only takes 3 and no more than 4 drinks in the entire day to make it worth it. I can easily do a drink with lunch, another in the afternoon, a couple with dinner and perhaps one later in the evening. That doesn't even take into account if I did want a soda or anything else that could be ordered. I don't drink beer or wine, just cocktails. I have easily had 8 or 9 on a cruise within a 12 hour period without ever being drunk.

It's easy to justify a small unit of the package, a single day. Well of course $50 for a day of drinks sounds like a good value. In the end, many people find it to be a chore to drink that much, every day. I love a good drink, just as much as anyone, the whole "alcoholic drink with every meal thing" is one of the last thoughts on my mind after all of the sun, food, and activity. It's also one of the main reasons why companies offer large packages, subscriptions, bundles, etc. People justify a small unit, consume the product heavily up-front, then stop using it. As a whole, it's very profitable. Not a bundle savings offered out of the goodness of their hearts.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants that many drinks. Many definitely don't want to feel the need to suck down as many as possible to justify a bar bill for 1 week that may rival months, or even a year's worth at home. Vacation is more than that. I buy mine as I go, and I'm not spending $1000. Laying by the pool, you know what, I want a beer. Comedy at night, I'll grab a cocktail. Worrying about "nickle and dimes" is overplayed, and really hurts the credibility of this site with how much it is talked about.

Royal does not waive the requirement for both people in the cabin to purchase the deluxe drink package regardless of what your medical situation is or what doctor signed a note. What they will do is allow the second person to purchase a refreshment package that includes all non alcoholic drinks which is different than the soda package that comes with your room.

Sorry but you will not get anywhere trying to get around this.

Most likely your best option is to just pay as you go for drinks.

I've had gastric bypass surgery. I have a letter on file with RCCL from my Surgeon's office that I cannot drink alcohol, soda or coffee. The letter is permanantly on file and in place for all of our 5 upcoming cruise's and my wife can purchase the deluxe drink package solo.

JoeRum

I've had gastric bypass surgery. I have a letter on file with RCCL from my Surgeon's office that I cannot drink alcohol, soda or coffee. The letter is permanantly on file and in place for all of our 5 upcoming cruise's and my wife can purchase the deluxe drink package solo.

JoeRum

Just curious, why does alcohol and coffee impact bypass? I know about soda.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am quite confused as to how many people find the drink package not worth it? For our cruise on the Allure it was $45 a day PP, drinks average between $12-$15 each. It only takes 3 and no more than 4 drinks in the entire day to make it worth it. I can easily do a drink with lunch, another in the afternoon, a couple with dinner and perhaps one later in the evening. That doesn't even take into account if I did want a soda or anything else that could be ordered. I don't drink beer or wine, just cocktails. I have easily had 8 or 9 on a cruise within a 12 hour period without ever being drunk.

We don't normally spend $50 a week, for the two of us, let alone per person per day. The 4 1/2 hours a day that the Loyalty Lounge is open works out just fine. We don't buy any drinks, of any kind on the ship. We've never paid $12-$15 for a drink and don't plan on starting now. We do occasionally catch a drink or to when we are in port and off the ship.

On celebrity summit in the walkway between the elevator and the buffet where the hand sanitizer is reminded me of Times Square with every specialty restaurant having a hawker there to sell as u walked by. Still had a great time they even got me to buy a bogo at Tuscan grille.

On celebrity summit in the walkway between the elevator and the buffet where the hand sanitizer is reminded me of Times Square with every specialty restaurant having a hawker there to sell as u walked by. Still had a great time they even got me to buy a bogo at Tuscan grille.

On the cruises I have been on , the poor blokes just stand there quietly at the side, with the menu card on a pedestal or in their hands. Most passengers just ignore them on the way to the buffet. They are unobtrusive. This in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

Your experience may be different.

Edited by drsel

..........so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package?:confused:

My RCL company cruise rep has NEVER mentioned we should purchase ANYTHING extra. Actually, they have sent complimentary gifts to our cabin on every sailing.

As D+ we avoid the drinks packages, I don't mind the selling of the specially restaurants because often we can get a really good deal and I would like the opportunity to get a good deal rather not be asked.

Didn’t you avoid the Drink Packages prior to D+? I can’t wait till D+ to get them 30% off.

Didn’t you avoid the Drink Packages prior to D+? I can’t wait till D+ to get them 30% off.

We like to get off the ship on our port intensive cruises as we don't sunbathe since Pauline had a basal cell skin cancer removed so we only drink alcohol at night.

We made diamond for our 30th wedding anniversary in August 2011 and always had a few drinks in the D lounges so I prefer to just buy a drink when we want one and a drinks package with 30% discount would still be no good for us.

We like to get off the ship on our port intensive cruises as we don't sunbathe since Pauline had a basal cell skin cancer removed so we only drink alcohol at night.

We made diamond for our 30th wedding anniversary in August 2011 and always had a few drinks in the D lounges so I prefer to just buy a drink when we want one and a drinks package with 30% discount would still be no good for us.

I understand that. Just wasn’t sure what being D+ had to do with not getting the drink packages. Didn’t same apply when you were Diamond?

Looking forward to the D+ 30% off DP.

Something new i've seen in my last two or three cruises. At dinner in the MDR, the Maitre D would come by near the end and offer us a "special discount" on something, which if we say no, he will go to the next table. It varies, as I think from different people, but I've noticed it more. I want to say its at least several times per cruise.