Passport Question

If I travel from Tampa to Cozumel via RCI Rhapsody of the Seas, I will need my passport. I would like to take the ferry to the mainland for the day and was wondering if I need my passport to enter and depart Playa del Carmen. Thanks for any insight!

You may want to post this in the Cozumel board to see what others say.

As far as I have experienced no. However, if you are on a private excursion not arranged through the cruise line, you might want to just to be safe. In case you run into problems.

FYI, If something happens and you need to fly back to the US,

say some medical emergency, or if you miss your ship sail away

while in a foreign port, you need an actual passport to board a

plane going to the US.

With this in mind, I carry a passport when not on a Royal ship tour.

A Royal ship tour will get you back to the ship.

If you are on your own...and miss your ship...it is up to

you to get home. So, it is good to have a passport and a credit card

with you.

Edited by Rocket3D

Is it required? No.

There are two camps however. And I am firmly entrenched in the "if I’m going on foreign soil, and I can do so, I wouldn’t DREAM of leaving my passport behind.

So there you have it: factual answer and bonus unsolicited commentary!:')

Sounds like the OP already has a passport so your unsolicited commentary is preaching to the choir;). Personally I've travelled this big blue marble most of my adult life without a passport because it wasn't needed, so I don't hold passports in the same thrall as others. I live 8 miles from the border and since I have something that will work other than a passport I use that instead of getting my passport from the safe deposit box.

Sounds like the OP already has a passport so your unsolicited commentary is preaching to the choir;). Personally I've travelled this big blue marble most of my adult life without a passport because it wasn't needed, so I don't hold passports in the same thrall as others. I live 8 miles from the border and since I have something that will work other than a passport I use that instead of getting my passport from the safe deposit box.

Out of curiosity other than within a dot on that big blue marble, where have you been that you haven’t needed a passport? I suppose military?

If I travel from Tampa to Cozumel via RCI Rhapsody of the Seas, I will need my passport. I would like to take the ferry to the mainland for the day and was wondering if I need my passport to enter and depart Playa del Carmen. Thanks for any insight!

If you are just hopping on the ferry (not on a tour) so you can spend the day in Playa del Carmen, you won't need anything other than your credit card and ID (to get back on the Rhapsody). However, we have been in Coz on several occasions when the channel kicks up and the ferry's run very late (if at all), so watch the weather and budget your time accordingly. Even in good weather the ferries sometimes wait at the dock until they get enough passengers to make the trip across profitable.

Not disputing your claim, just confused. What border can you cross these days without a Passport? Or, are using a Passport Card?

If your travel has been on cruises, then I get it.

Not disputing your claim, just confused. What border can you cross these days without a Passport? Or, are using a Passport Card?

If your state has an Enhanced driver's license/ID, you can cross by land or port between the US/Canada and US/Mexico.

My Texas DL has the gold star which indicates, the DL is the Enhanced DL.

If your state has an Enhanced driver's license/ID, you can cross by land or port between the US/Canada and US/Mexico.

Oh Boy! Don't confuse a Real ID drivers licenses with Enhanced Drivers Licenses. Texas is not one of the states issuing Enhanced Drivers licenses. Your drivers licence is not enhanced, The Gold Star means you can use it as ID to fly domestically. You can't use it as ID to cross back to the US from Canada or Mexico.

Is it required? No.

There are two camps however. And I am firmly entrenched in the "if I’m going on foreign soil, and I can do so, I wouldn’t DREAM of leaving my passport behind.

So there you have it: factual answer and bonus unsolicited commentary!:')

Lose your passport or have it stolen and you are screwed. Passport in safe and you miss the ship your passport will be on the dock with the port agent. Have been to many countries and have only taken the passport off the ship once while in Tunis where it was required to do so. my unsolicited opinion..

Jake,

Is that different than the passport card?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Enhanced Drivers Licenses and Nexus cards can be used like a passport card. Jake does not have an Enhanced Drivers License. The Enhanced Drivers License is only available in Michigan, Minnesota, New York Washington and Vermont. For an extra fee. He is confusing it with Real ID compliant licences.

Out of curiosity other than within a dot on that big blue marble, where have you been that you haven’t needed a passport? I suppose military?

Yes, military for most of it and several closed loop cruises and trips to Canada before the rules changed.

I have an Enhanced Drivers License which allows me to cross the Canadian border that is 8 miles from my front door. Many folks in my community have an EDL or passport card in order to cross the border and it's the only foreign travel they will ever do. They would scoff at the idea that they need a passport.

Gold star indicates REAL ID compliant, US flag indicates EDL. Two completely different documents.

I don't understand the fear of losing a passport I am sure at some point in this huge world that this has happened to someone. Yes it would be a pain to replace it but I would have a bigger issue if my smart phone was lost, stolen or damaged in anyway. There is more information stored in that than on my passport or drivers license. They can take my wallet, my money, my credit cards but I couldn't function without my phone.

Sorry Jake but Texas does NOT issue enhanced drivers license. You may have a REAL ID compliant license, but that does NOT allow you to cross any border.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't understand the fear of losing a passport I am sure at some point in this huge world that this has happened to someone. Yes it would be a pain to replace it but I would have a bigger issue if my smart phone was lost, stolen or damaged in anyway. There is more information stored in that than on my passport or drivers license. They can take my wallet, my money, my credit cards but I couldn't function without my phone.

"Fear" is too strong of a word, for most people it comes down to not wanting to carry something of value if there is no reason to do so. I can certainly reverse engineer my reasoning for not carrying my passport ashore and make a strong case for it, but at the end of the day it comes down to me not wanting to carry something if I don't have to carry it.