Jewelry Shopping

During our Oasis 7 dayEastern Carribean jaunt next month It's likelythat we will be shopping for a "nice" piece of jewelry - for the Mrs.It's also likely that I will be digging my heels in and the Mrs. will purchaseanyway. Are there any opinions about where to shop? Better pricing on the shipin one of the duty free shops or at local shops on the islands?

During our Oasis 7 dayEastern Carribean jaunt next month It's likelythat we will be shopping for a "nice" piece of jewelry - for the Mrs.It's also likely that I will be digging my heels in and the Mrs. will purchaseanyway. Are there any opinions about where to shop? Better pricing on the shipin one of the duty free shops or at local shops on the islands?

St Thomas and St. Martin. Assume you'll be visiting one or both:)

Imperial Jewelers, St. Thomas.

ding ding we have a winner !

Unless you’re buying a $100 trinket as a trip memory I second that! Why not support a reputable local jeweler? The internet is full of horror stories about jewelry purchases made while on cruises. Plus, unless you’re a gemologist, how do you know the quality of the stones, lab-enhanced or natural, etc.

Imperial Jewelers, St. Thomas.
I concur. Purchased a small tennis bracelet from them in 2006, small 1ct but sweet. They said if we ever wanted to upgrade bring it back and they would honor the original price paid towards the upgrade. Did so in 2009 to a 5.5 ct bracelet for an additional sum. Brought it home for local appraisal. It was appraised for several thousands more than we ultimately paid. They are very nice and we receive a Christmas card every year! We will return.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Forums mobile app

I concur. Purchased a small tennis bracelet from them in 2006, small 1ct but sweet. They said if we ever wanted to upgrade bring it back and they would honor the original price paid towards the upgrade. Did so in 2009 to a 5.5 ct bracelet for an additional sum. Brought it home for local appraisal. It was appraised for several thousands more than we ultimately paid. They are very nice and we receive a Christmas card every year! We will return.

We've had the same excellent service from them over many years.

We've had the same excellent service from them over many years.
Thanks Bob.

Pauline has wrote there name in her diary for the next time we go there.

We have always got certificates from the jewelers.

We were last there in 2007 when Pauline bought 2 nice pieces of jewelry from

Beverley's Jewelers Main Street St Thomas.

Ballerina jewelry in St Thomas or St Maarten. We've bought several things there. We've bought diamond hoops earrings, tennis bracelets, blue diamond rings and necklaces and some tanzanite items. We buy things that I love and aren't over 5K in price. Although I did try on a 10ct diamond ring in St. Maarten a couple of years ago and it was priced like 500K. Of course that wasn't going to be "my" price according to them. Everything is negotiable and believe me, we negotiate.

We know a CEO of my DH's former company who used to make very large purchases at Ballerina, including a beautiful large diamond ring and it appraised very well back in the U.S. It is possible to buy good jewelry in the Caribbean. You just need to be informed and know what you're looking at.

Edited by BND

Too many horror stories over the years. Purchase in your home town

As I said, you have to know what you are doing. We've bought probably 15 pieces over the years and been very happy. I've had jewelers look at a few and they found the value to be on par with what we paid.

Kay’s fine jewelry (not related to Kays Jewelers in USA malls). THey have a place in St. Maarten and st Thomas. I’ve purchased from both. Huge selection and great prices.
Pauline has bought jewelry from Kay's in St Maarten too.

Shiva Jewelers in St Martin. My husband’s parents have been buying from them for over 25 years, and we have also bought from them for probably 15 years. Some of the reasons:

- they will take a check but not cash it until they hear from you that you are happy with how it has appraised back home. If you aren’t, you can send the item back. And you would actually send it to one of their partners in NY who would then ship it back to them. (We have never shipped anything back we didn’t like or didn’t appraise, but I upgraded my wedding ring this way).

- they keep records of anything you buy and you can trade it in any time for the same price of what you paid and there is not a minimum of what you have to spend (other than the original cost) to get full value back on old piece. I have done this multiple times including a watch that I decided was just not my style.

- they have a very large selection and some unique pieces

While I agree with other posters it’s important to support local businesses, how many local jewelry shops are really “local” vs national chains? And for us it’s been a great relationship with our extended family getting great pieces and prices for over 20 years from this family run business.

Have fun shopping where ever you go! They will take care of you with beer and water and soda while your wife reviews her choices. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have bought several pieces both in St. Marten and St.Thomas. Always felt like I got a fair price for the items I purchased. I did purchase some items from Royal in St. Marten and was quite pleased. Everything is negotiable, if you pay cash, better deal and on St. Marten, they will even throw in some beer to go.

We like Majesty Jewelers in St Maarten.

I would suggest you speak to the ship’s shopping guide. He/she will let you know which stores are reputable and backed by RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Worst. Advice. Ever.

The ship's shopping guide is there to point you to the stores that give RCCL a kickback for being promoted, just like the shore excursions booked on board or through the cruise line.

As has been said, do your homework and make sure you know what you're buying. Most likely you could do better shopping at home, but there are some bargains to be had if you know what you're buying.