Is it ok to inform CC members when a highly desirable room is about to be cancelled?

HaveDogWillTravel

I unfortunately have to cancel my booking in one of the only two aft penthouse suites on a particular Princess ship. My college FINALLY posted our spring 2019 calendar and pushed finals week to April 29 instead of the customary, usual and expected April 22. Hence I cannot be on this ship April 24th. As the professor I have to be there.

My question is this: What do you think of a thread where CC folks inform members when they are going to be cancelling a highly desirable room? My idea is that there would be separate threads for only suites or only caribe deck balconies or only aft cabins........only? and maybe see if they can become sticky’s?

I am sure there is a lot wrong with this idea and I’m sure some folks will point it out. Please try to be nice about it though. I’m really sad to have to cancel this suite. It took me 18 months of searching, waiting and pouncing on new schedules to get it.

I’m thinking of all the time I spend waiting to see if a particular cabin opens up and this could be a tool that might be helpful. Yes I know that CC only represents a small minority of cruisers. Yes I know I’m really picky about what cabin I’m in. Yes I know most people sail for itinerary. Yes I know I’m a fluke since I sail based on ship and cabin. But maybe I’m not entirely alone?

I have certainly seen posts of that nature on some of the boards before.

I would guess they were eventually--or maybe promptly--deleted.

If a running thread on cancellations was made a sticky (implying encouragement of such listings as a board policy) then for sure it would quickly be littered with posts that include the contact info of the member and/or their TA in an attempt to sync the cancellation and rebooking by a couple of board buddies. Thus impossible to weed out those looking for compensation for doing so.

In your particular case, if Full Suites are sold out for your cruise the one you cancelled will go to the next name on the waiting list. No way for you to alter that. So save your keystrokes.

Sorry you plans have been forcibly altered by the way. But I certainly remember college classes (even upper division ones) where the professor neither administered nor graded the final exam. Isn't that what your TA is for :rolleyes:

Edited by fishywood

I see posts like this all the time.

Why would it be deleted?

Nice of you to think about letting CC members know........

I say post it.

Sometimes there is a ton of overthinking when there doesn't need to be. :rolleyes:

Spot on!

You may want to post it on the roll call - or say when you are going to do it such as you will cancel on Monday morning at 8 am CST so anyone who wants it can get it. I hate when school interferes with life!

I think the best place for this is roll calls. I have seen others post similar messages as yourself.

It certainly is a nice for you to think of others and I would certainly post it on your roll call before canceling it but once it goes back into the pool, it can be snatched up within seconds. Or as others have said, suites may go to those on waiting lists. Your roll call is the perfect place to post the information.

So sorry to hear you have to cancel the cruise that you spent so much time researching and getting the exact cabin that you want. Hate when real life changes our travels!

Unfortunately, many have so many different ideas of what is a desirable cabin and there are constantly cancelations of cruises it would probably end up one very lengthy thread.

Any way you change the date of your sailing and keep your wonderful suite?

I unfortunately have to cancel my booking in one of the only two aft penthouse suites on a particular Princess ship. My college FINALLY posted our spring 2019 calendar and pushed finals week to April 29 instead of the customary, usual and expected April 22. Hence I cannot be on this ship April 24th. As the professor I have to be there.

My question is this: What do you think of a thread where CC folks inform members when they are going to be cancelling a highly desirable room? My idea is that there would be separate threads for only suites or only caribe deck balconies or only aft cabins........only? and maybe see if they can become sticky’s?

I am sure there is a lot wrong with this idea and I’m sure some folks will point it out. Please try to be nice about it though. I’m really sad to have to cancel this suite. It took me 18 months of searching, waiting and pouncing on new schedules to get it.

I’m thinking of all the time I spend waiting to see if a particular cabin opens up and this could be a tool that might be helpful. Yes I know that CC only represents a small minority of cruisers. Yes I know I’m really picky about what cabin I’m in. Yes I know most people sail for itinerary. Yes I know I’m a fluke since I sail based on ship and cabin. But maybe I’m not entirely alone?

Go ahead and post it, but Princess has control over what happens to the suites

You may want to post it on the roll call - or say when you are going to do it such as you will cancel on Monday morning at 8 am CST so anyone who wants it can get it. I hate when school interferes with life!

I think the best place for this is roll calls. I have seen others post similar messages as yourself.

If I can’t move this cruise over I think this would be the best alternative.

Thank you all for such kind and wonderful suggestions. I will try to move it but if not I’ll let my roll call know which suite just might show as available on a particular day. Btw it is the PH suite L722 on the Island for the Pacific Coastal Cruise LA to Vancouver April 24. This 740 sq ft suite is a corner aft suite with both a side and aft facing balcony. The balconies do not connect and each has their own door out.

We stayed in the 617 sq ft corner aft suites on the Aloha deck. These are lovely suites and beautiful balconies. However, there is only one door out and it goes to the side balcony. To get to the aft balcony where there was no wind you had to brave the side balcony wind to get there. We typically have meals from the MDR on the aft balcony and it was a challenge for the room service staff to set up the table and get everything out there.

We are looking forward to the PH for extra 120 sq ft (I know, I know who really needs that much more) and the direct access to the aft balcony.

In your particular case, if Full Suites are sold out for your cruise the one you cancelled will go to the next name on the waiting list. No way for you to alter that. So save your keystrokes.

That may be the way it works in a perfect world, but not with Princess. When a cabin becomes available you can usually see it the availability on-line on the Princess web site. At that point it is up for grabs. If still available when the Princess process gets around to looking at GTYs or waitlists, that is when it will go to the next person on the list.

I was on one totally sold out Princess cruise with a number of people on the roll call still having GTYs that were not assigned. Each morning one person on the roll call would check for newly available cabins and post the info on the roll call. Those with GTYs in the newly available categories would call in to get a cabin assigned to them. It was definitely not automatic as it should be.

That may be the way it works in a perfect world, but not with Princess. When a cabin becomes available you can usually see it the availability on-line on the Princess web site. At that point it is up for grabs. If still available when the Princess process gets around to looking at GTYs or waitlists, that is when it will go to the next person on the list.

I was on one totally sold out Princess cruise with a number of people on the roll call still having GTYs that were not assigned. Each morning one person on the roll call would check for newly available cabins and post the info on the roll call. Those with GTYs in the newly available categories would call in to get a cabin assigned to them. It was definitely not automatic as it should be.

My suite showed available as of this morning. I don’t know if there was a waitlist or not.

We once had a back to back on Emerald for 20 nights and had two different cabins.A fellow cruiser on the roll call mentioned that he had to cancel his cruise,which was our first 10 day cruise the following Monday,as his TA was out of town.His cabin was the one we wanted so we would not have to move.Since my TA was also on vacation till Monday,I asked him if we possibly had the same TA, which we did.We both called her on Monday morning and when she did his cancellation she immediately moved us to that cabin.What are the chances of that happening again?

Nothing wrong with discussing it on your roll call, we did. On a B2B2B we also had 2 different cabins , same for the first and last but a different one for the one in the middle. Somebody on our roll call had to cancel their cruise and that happened to be for the middle one of our cruises and they were booked in the cabin we had for the first and last part. We made arrangements through our roll call that they were going to cancel at 4:00 pm so we phoned just before that and told the rep which cabin we were looking for and she said that one is not available. Told her to wait a few minutes and sure enough there came the cabin available. The rep asked how we knew and we told her and they were OK with it. Also did not get any objection from CC i.e posts were not removed.

Theo

We once had a back to back on Emerald for 20 nights and had two different cabins.A fellow cruiser on the roll call mentioned that he had to cancel his cruise,which was our first 10 day cruise the following Monday,as his TA was out of town.His cabin was the one we wanted so we would not have to move.Since my TA was also on vacation till Monday,I asked him if we possibly had the same TA, which we did.We both called her on Monday morning and when she did his cancellation she immediately moved us to that cabin.What are the chances of that happening again?

Great story!

Nothing wrong with discussing it on your roll call, we did. On a B2B2B we also had 2 different cabins , same for the first and last but a different one for the one in the middle. Somebody on our roll call had to cancel their cruise and that happened to be for the middle one of our cruises and they were booked in the cabin we had for the first and last part. We made arrangements through our roll call that they were going to cancel at 4:00 pm so we phoned just before that and told the rep which cabin we were looking for and she said that one is not available. Told her to wait a few minutes and sure enough there came the cabin available. The rep asked how we knew and we told her and they were OK with it. Also did not get any objection from CC i.e posts were not removed.

Theo

Wow and I thought johnmik1 has an amazing story. Yours is even wilder. I’m really glad you both had such great experiences. I did post to my roll call. I’ve moved to the Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound b2b with the Southbound voyage. And I got my L722 PH for both legs!