Trivia Buffs: How does RCL set up the games?

I love playing trivia and enjoying the camaraderie, but I'm competitive, too. How many on a team. Do they have music trivia?

On Carnival earlier this year the winning team for each game received 1 small trophy so you had to decide in advance who had the rights to it.

Other cruise lines have offered "cruise dollars" or small logo items like pens, key chains, a deck of cards, etc for all team members.

Up to I think six hours on a team. But it could be ten.

Each member of the winning team received a small prize. I was on the winning team twice on my last cruise. I won a pen and a rubber keychain.

And they do have music trivia. I aced ‘70s music trivia. Helps that I spent my pre-teen and teen-aged years glued to the radio.

On many cruises, especially the longer ones like the transatlantic and repositioning cruises, there will also be a "progressive trivia" offered. This meets every sea day, usually at the same time. You form a team on the first day, and stay with that team the rest of the cruise.

(This won't be offered on the 3-5 day cruises, but it was offered on our recent 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Harmony.)

Often there are small prizes for the team that wins each day, and then at the end there is a "grand prize" for the team that has accrued the most points throughout the tournament.

This can range from a medal on a ribbon to a bag full of pens, highlighters, water bottles, etc.

Another favorite trivia of mine is tri-bond, where you are given three words and need to find what they have in common. For example: blue, goose, and black. Answer is "berries."

Jan

Prizes: On Anthem last week, we had a new one for me: “North Star bags”, really lightweight plastic bags crunched into another bag. As well as the usual round of keychains, pens and cheesy medals.

Composition: really depends on the staff member leading it. I heard 2 to 4, I heard no more than six, and none of it made any difference. There were seven in our cruising group and sometimes we all showed up, and no one cared. We’re not fighting each other over plastic keychains:p

I was wondering why we had no progressive trivia, and now I understand, it was a five night cruise with two days in port, so not really worth it.

Music: plenty of music trivia on my cruise. We *would* have won 70s disco, but the tie breaker was a dance off. I wasn’t twerking strangers for a plastic key chain:') we did win Queen trivia because of my 17 year old niece, who got obscure songs because some singer she follows on IG covers them. Moral of the story: make sure your whole team attends!

• 1 month later...

Just got off the Mariner, competed in 70’s disco, Pop music trivia, Michael Jackson, Movie music, Country and 80’s music trivia.Also logo/brand trivia. Me and my team won 3 out of 6. They also had James Bond music, which I missed.

DH and I usually always do the onboard trivia....and do fairly well even when it's just the two of us competing against groups of 6 or more. However when our adult kids cruise with us...we have easily won many times including the progressive trivia.

We have way too many keychains, pens, highlighters etc. etc. The prizes used to be a bit more substantial...I have several RCI baseball hats, tote bags, passport holders, luggage tags and a few umbrella's.

We definitely don’t do it for the prizes! Last year on an Indy TA four of us won the progressive trivia against 480 other players over 12 games. I thought maybe we’d win a T-shirt or something for the honour but we actually graciously received a couple of pens, zipper pulls, water bottles and one bottle of paint remover, AKA wine for us to share. In the cruise directors’ defense, he did say that usually the prizes were a little more substantial but the ship had run out of stuff to give away. It was really a lot of fun but at times it felt like a bit of a blood sport!

What we've noticed over numerous cruises is that some players do think it's a blood sport. Because the trivia questions are mostly the same from ship to ship and cruise to cruise, some go as far as bringing the list from a previous cruise(s) and rarely miss more than 1 answer. Questions may be in a slightly different order, or the staff member running the trivia may substitute a lesser used trivia question. We go to have fun and don't care about the prizes, so we go as often as we can.

I love playing trivia and enjoying the camaraderie, but I'm competitive, too. How many on a team. Do they have music trivia? you form your own teams. Mr Spook has done everything from being a solo( and winning) to being on a team with 8 or 10 others. there will be at least one music themed trivia daily. usually decades( 80s, 70s, etc)

On Carnival earlier this year the winning team for each game received 1 small trophy so you had to decide in advance who had the rights to it. nothing like that at all

Other cruise lines have offered "cruise dollars" or small logo items like pens, key chains, a deck of cards, etc for all team members.

its usually held in Schooners Lounge. people cheat all the time by using their cell phones to look up answers. there ends to be 3 different sessions daily. one music, one general knowledge and one themed( Movies, TV etc) I do remember one of th music ones was TV theme songs where she played a few notes and you had to guess. they hand out paper and pencils and you write everything down. you swap answer sheets with another team when it comes time to marking the correct answers.

Prizes: On Anthem last week, we had a new one for me: “North Star bags”, really lightweight plastic bags crunched into another bag. As well as the usual round of keychains, pens and cheesy medals.

Composition: really depends on the staff member leading it. I heard 2 to 4, I heard no more than six, and none of it made any difference. There were seven in our cruising group and sometimes we all showed up, and no one cared. We’re not fighting each other over plastic keychains:p

I was wondering why we had no progressive trivia, and now I understand, it was a five night cruise with two days in port, so not really worth it.

Music: plenty of music trivia on my cruise. We *would* have won 70s disco, but the tie breaker was a dance off. I wasn’t twerking strangers for a plastic key chain:') we did win Queen trivia because of my 17 year old niece, who got obscure songs because some singer she follows on IG covers them. Moral of the story: make sure your whole team attends!

one of mr spooks favorite sea stories is the one where he swings by trivia after dinner in Chops, where he was promptly asked by the rest of his usual team "who sang Boys are back in Town?" he promptly answers "thin Lizzie" and the team is all happy that they just won.

On Explorer last month, they had TV Theme Song trivia and the Schooner bar was filled to capacity with many just standing and playing. There were several teams that got them all correct; many others got 19 out of 20 correct. Never saw a topic generate so many people and so many correct answers.

We have way too many keychains, pens, highlighters etc. etc. The prizes used to be a bit more substantial...I have several RCI baseball hats, tote bags, passport holders, luggage tags and a few umbrella's.

Re-gift.

Biker, who routinely gives away trivia items at subsequent trivia sessions or M&M.