Crazy crazy prices !

lovescarborough

Anyone have theory on why Europe is so expensive now? Few months back I did the last week of April 18, aft balcony, flights, drink package and grats on NCL epic for £1100. Same trip this year is double the price!!!

I wanted to go round the Norwegian fjords with Royal until I saw it was 2,500 for 7 nights. Ouch!

Anyone have theory on why Europe is so expensive now? Few months back I did the last week of April 18, aft balcony, flights, drink package and grats on NCL epic for £1100. Same trip this year is double the price!!!

I wanted to go round the Norwegian fjords with Royal until I saw it was 2,500 for 7 nights. Ouch!

We just did 8 nights on Independence of the Seas (Norwegian Fjords), balcony room, premium drink package and grats £1600 per person. Booked this year. What cabin are you looking at?

We are doing a med cruise next summer and also found prices are up. I figured that perhaps cheaper airfare to and within Europe may be driving up demand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just did 8 nights on Independence of the Seas (Norwegian Fjords), balcony room, premium drink package and grats £1600 per person. Booked this year. What cabin are you looking at?

It was the independence 31 August Standard balcony with drinks. I was looking in may and I recoiled in horror and haven’t looked since!

Edited by Suzieanna

If someone is daft enough to pay the price, the cruise lines are smart enough to charge that rate.

Annie

NCL got expensive when they started giving "free booze and specialty dining". It's not just Europe. The Pacific Coastal/Mexico cruises are double what they were a year or two ago.

NCL got expensive when they started giving "free booze and specialty dining". It's not just Europe. The Pacific Coastal/Mexico cruises are double what they were a year or two ago.

They finally found out they can offer you a perk that costs them very little, then double the price.

They finally found out they can offer you a perk that costs them very little, then double the price.
Yes, they are trying to become all inclusive like the premium cruise lines. Then they don't have the hassle of selling the UBP. and UDP

And they also charge 20% service charge on those "free perks". Free isn't free in Celebrity either, but at least they don't ding us another 20% (yet:rolleyes:)

And they also charge 20% service charge on those "free perks". Free isn't free in Celebrity either, but at least they don't ding us another 20% (yet:rolleyes:)

If they give it to you as a perk, you don't have to pay the 20%. It's included. You do for the cost of an upgrade should you desire.

If someone is daft enough to pay the price, the cruise lines are smart enough to charge that rate.

Annie

It is not only the price of the cruise, but if you look at airfares for 2019 to Europe, it is silly expensive! Due to health reasons, we have to book business class. Rethinking our plans unless we can find better airfares.

If they give it to you as a perk, you don't have to pay the 20%. It's included. You do for the cost of an upgrade should you desire.

On Celebrity yes, not on NCL. On NCL they charge you 20% ($18 a day on the beverage package).

It is not only the price of the cruise, but if you look at airfares for 2019 to Europe, it is silly expensive! Due to health reasons, we have to book business class. Rethinking our plans unless we can find better airfares.

Airfares to Europe ARE crazy expensive for 2019. We already had a July 7 night Western Mediterranean cruise booked on another cruise line (not anywhere as nice as X), but then we began investigating premium economy flights to Barcelona because of my height. We ended up canceling that cruise.and changed it to an 11 night Southern Caribbean April cruise on the Reflection out of Fort Lauderdale that was less with airfare than the other cruise, and we were able to get a coveted aft veranda to boot. The Mediterranean would have been great, but it will have to be at another time. We’ll still be traveling to 4 of 5 Caribbean ports that we haven’t been to before and have 4-1/2 sea days to enjoy rather than just 1, so we feel like winners in this situation. Enjoy your cruise with whichever decision you make!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, we bit the bullet and booked Infinity to the Med 11 nights in May 2019. We did, however, book a large oceanview instead of our usual balcony. Airfare from Toronto to Barcelona return was silly expensive....economy seats but paid total of $400.00 extra for Emergency Exit Seats for legroom. Cruise (including complimentary gratuities) with airfare comes to just under $8000.00 (Canadian). Plus two nights hotel in Barcelona, excursions, spending money, etc. etc., you get the picture.....over $10,000.00 total. Thank goodness we're Elite, because we'll get some complimentary cocktails, laundry and some internet minutes. Cruising used to be relatively inexpensive, but it's getting harder all the time to justify the cost.

Edited by Lady Arwen
spelling

Well, we bit the bullet and booked Infinity to the Med 11 nights in May 2019. We did, however, book a large oceanview instead of our usual balcony. Airfare from Toronto to Barcelona return was silly expensive....economy seats but paid total of $400.00 extra for Emergency Exit Seats for legroom. Cruise (including complimentary gratuities) with airfare comes to just under $8000.00 (Canadian). Plus two nights hotel in Barcelona, excursions, spending money, etc. etc., you get the picture.....over $10,000.00 total. Thank goodness we're Elite, because we'll get some complimentary cocktails, laundry and some internet minutes. Cruising used to be relatively inexpensive, but it's getting harder all the time to justify the cost.

I Hear you.

We have to book our flights--from Barcelona back to the US. DH is choking. I want to come back biz because after such a lovely trip and tours and extra days in Barcelona--to end it with no leg room (2 tall folks here) would be no fun.

We will be in that range as well.. fare for TA, airfare one way, excursions, bev/drinks package, grats etc..adds up.

Did you use Celebrity air?

Our last cruise over there (Baltics) I had enough points for the 4 of us and then I paid for the economy plus or whatever it was called on Virgin (great service)

I Hear you.

We have to book our flights--from Barcelona back to the US. DH is choking. I want to come back biz because after such a lovely trip and tours and extra days in Barcelona--to end it with no leg room (2 tall folks here) would be no fun.

We will be in that range as well.. fare for TA, airfare one way, excursions, bev/drinks package, grats etc..adds up.

Our last cruise over there (Baltics) I had enough points for the 4 of us and then I paid for the economy plus or whatever it was called on Virgin (great service)

We used choice air for our Med cruise for July 2019 and were able to get business into Rome and out of Milan for $2,100 pp. Economy was around $600 to $800 pp. Interestingly enough I found PE was only $200 less than business each way. No idea why. It seemed to be the least discounted. Maybe because they are less PE seats?

I Hear you.

Celebrity Air was actually $150.00 more than booking direct with Air Canada, PLUS the $400.00 for upgraded seats, so no good deal for us this time.

I have just opened an email from one of the main online travel agencies here in the U.K. offering 'deals ' on the Edge in the Med for 2019. Deals look good with drinks packages and unlimited internet included but prices left me speechless ! Inside cabins for a 10 night trip from £1899 pp, cheapest balcony £3056pp, Aqua class £4007 and the lovely Iconic suite only £26057 pp. This is from Southampton so no flights included. The itinerary is not brilliant either. Who is going to pay these crazy prices?
Wait for a few years and book when the price falls to $100 pppd for the most economical cabin

Here's some 'crazy' pricing for you. This is a 12 night Eclipse cruise sailing on 17/04/2019. Compare the inside, OV and balcony prices with the perk details included.

eclipse.jpg

When you factor in the value of the perks the inside is the most expensive deal!

Same cruise as above but pricing supplied from Celebrity UK direct.

The pricing is similar but they are offering a classic beverage package and free wifi as opposed to one perk. The $50 OBC on the US TA picture comes from the TA itself. However if you use a UK based TA you can score a similar discount easily enough. So not much difference really. UK bookings include taxes and port fees whereas US TA pricing does not, so in this example it's cheaper to book in the UK.

eclipse_uk.jpg

Same cruise as above but pricing supplied from Celebrity UK direct.

The pricing is similar but they are offering a classic beverage package and free wifi as opposed to one perk. The $50 OBC on the US TA picture comes from the TA itself. However if you use a UK based TA you can score a similar discount easily enough. So not much difference really. UK bookings include taxes and port fees whereas US TA pricing does not, so in this example it's cheaper to book in the UK.

This particular cruise (Vancouver to Honolulu) is exceptionally cheap compared with others being offered in say the Med.

Can you compare the cost of the Constellation cruise from Venice in May 2019.

I would be interested to see the price difference.

Can you compare the cost of the Constellation cruise from Venice in May 2019.

I would be interested to see the price difference.

Mid May 2019 - 9n Cony cruise in a 2B balcony (Cruise only price)

US price - $5478 (Drinks +$275obc) - Big Box price

UK price - £3055 (Drinks + Unlimited Wifi) - UK Internet TA (US$3880)

UK is $1320 cheaper without taking wifi into account.

Prices overall have gone up a lot since, let's say, 5 years ago. Prices will also stay up as long as there are people willing to pay the asked amount for it. Edge is a complete no-no it seems for the incoming few years, ridiculous prices imo. I also have a couple of cruise certificates that need to be used before 2019 with NCL, but I can't seem to find any suitable cruise with a price I'm willing to pay. :)

I don't see the big value in the first sailings. The Edge isn't even tempting me. I'll read the reviews for the first few years while I decide if it's worth it. Suites aren't in our budget. I sure don't want to pay inflated prices for a veranda on a ship where a large percentage of the space is exclusive for the suite passengers. I feel the same about the revolution makeovers. They've already taken Michael's lounge away from ordinary passengers, turned the MDR into a madhouse by chopping out a large section for Luminae and Sky Lounge is often off limits for private events. Please note, I don't object to suite passengers getting extra perks. They certainly pay for it. But Celebrity could take care of them with special services, rather than space.