Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

I don't know how a staff member feels about receiving tips (but can imagine) I only know how it makes me feel - uncomfortable.

After auto grats are stopped I do know that I will wonder if every little service (unlocking my door cos I've left my key card behind), every cheery greeting and little chat about whether or not I will be going ashore, will be in expectation of a tip at the end of the cruise.

Again the cruise lines have brain washed guest into thinking they are responsible for tipping the crew just to do the job they are already paid to preform. Tips are optional, not required and free given over and above any required payments. Any crew member failing to preform at the highest level can find another job. P & O has done what always happens the market has spoken and they have responded and remove these unneeded and unwanted charges.

Have to say that I take completely the opposite view. I believe that this new approach will encourage more staff to go over and above to enhance the passenger experience. As nobody will be paying an auto service charge, more passengers will be likely to offer a cash gratuity to a staff member who makes their cruise extra special than happens at present and this will be a great incentive for the staff.

We have always offered some staff members cash tips, even when paying the service charge, and will continue to do so. I have to say that this has never been met with a poor reaction (in fact, the complete opposite) and I would bet a good chunk of money that staff members appreciate it very much indeed and would never consider it to be patronising or embarrassing, unless it is presented in a patronising manner.

Under the new system, no-one should feel compelled to tip and therefore need not make excuses for not doing so. However, if passengers genuinely feel that some staff members have earned some extra recognition then I don't believe that we should hold back from acknowledging it financially. Of course, if a crew member genuinely has a problem accepting a gratuity then they can decline it, but I somehow don't think that is going to happen!

I totally agree.

I don't know how a staff member feels about receiving tips (but can imagine) I only know how it makes me feel - uncomfortable.

After auto grats are stopped I do know that I will wonder if every little service (unlocking my door cos I've left my key card behind), every cheery greeting and little chat about whether or not I will be going ashore, will be in expectation of a tip at the end of the cruise.

Not on P&O but try an American ship and that is the case on there.

Which is basically what it is like when you are in the US they expect a tip for everything anyone does for you.

But P & O no longer has a daily fee for you to pay so if anyone wants to pay it will be directly to the crew member. As of next year no daily service fee will be in place. Game Over and Done.
You dont read what people post do you. The post you replied to related to between now and next May.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

Correct.

And I for one am so pleased that we now have a level playing field. I can now sail with P&O in the full knowledge that those who would have the gratuities removed now have no recourse to that and are effectively paying the same price, including staff wages, as I am.

Meanwhile I can still feel better in myself by offering up a personal tip to those who have served me so well.

As ever we are in full agreement.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

Well sorry, but as someone who always removed the autograt, I was no better off than anyone else, as I paid the full tips in person to my waiters and cabin steward. IF the autograt had never been there and people could tip what they liked I have my doubts that I would have tipped £7 pppd . It is actually quite a lot of money, but I did it, because that is what it was expected to be. Next year I will reconsider what I tip.

Well sorry, but as someone who always removed the autograt, I was no better off than anyone else, as I paid the full tips in person to my waiters and cabin steward. IF the autograt had never been there and people could tip what they liked I have my doubts that I would have tipped £7 pppd . It is actually quite a lot of money, but I did it, because that is what it was expected to be. Next year I will reconsider what I tip.

Thats exactly how we feel, we will still tip where it is warranted but not the £7 we have been tipping recently.

I have 3 cruises booked before next May, one starting this weekend. I am going to remove the service charge and tip in cash until May. It's unlikely it will be £7 per day. After May I'll assume staff are being paid fairly and only tip for exceptional service.

If you paid cash tips of £7 ppd why did you remove the auto grats?

It is only the waiters and cabin stewards who get the tips anyway.

I suspect there will be tip advisory notes like there was before autogratuities left in our cabins by keen stewards.

As someone suggested earlier it is 9 months time which is the usual crew contract length so possibly the new crews contracts will be changed.

I suspect there will be tip advisory notes like there was before autogratuities left in our cabins by keen stewards.

As someone suggested earlier it is 9 months time which is the usual crew contract length so possibly the new crews contracts will be changed.

Didn't the statement from P&O say that tips would not be required or expected? (Or something like that). So I don't think they would dare (yet) to put such notices in cabins.

When someone has been on a 14 night cruise the £7 pppd tip of £168 x 2 or £336 is a lot to dish out.

That is a lot of cash to have left after your port tours etc and why autotips were great for the crew and passengers who were short on cash flow.

Hopefully P&O sort it out to everyone's satisfaction and everyone has contributed to crews pay through the cruise price.

Didn't the statement from P&O say that tips would not be required or expected? (Or something like that). So I don't think they would dare (yet) to put such notices in cabins.

There may be all sorts of pressure to hand over cash tips, both from the crew and passengers who broadcast to everyone how much they tip and that it is the 'done thing'. I suggest P&O do what Marella do and remind passengers that tips are included. It is even printed on your Marella cruise card. Is says 'REMEMBER, ALL TIPS ARE INCLUDED'

There may be all sorts of pressure to hand over cash tips, both from the crew and passengers who broadcast to everyone how much they tip and that it is the 'done thing'. I suggest P&O do what Marella do and remind passengers that tips are included. It is even printed on your Marella cruise card. Is says 'REMEMBER, ALL TIPS ARE INCLUDED'

That sounds a brilliant plan.

The P&O line is no tips are required or expected. That would indicate no notice in cabins.

However some cruisers will still give tips which is their right and nothing to do with anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When someone has been on a 14 night cruise the £7 pppd tip of £168 x 2 or £336 is a lot to dish out.

That is a lot of cash to have left after your port tours etc and why autotips were great for the crew and passengers who were short on cash flow.

Hopefully P&O sort it out to everyone's satisfaction and everyone has contributed to crews pay through the cruise price.

And of course on other lines it is a dam sight more.

And of course on other lines it is a dam sight more.

It is a lot more but on RCCL the loyalty perks for us are excellent.

We have just got off Ventura and the night time entertainment is where P&O really score.

Nyo King a Whitney Houston tribute singer was fantastic as were the Revolvers a 60s tribute band.

Am I missing something?

14 x £7 = £98

£98 x 2 = £196.

Although: 24 x 7 = 168! (did you hit a 2 instead of a 1 on your calculator?)

I have 3 cruises booked before next May, one starting this weekend. I am going to remove the service charge and tip in cash until May. It's unlikely it will be £7 per day. After May I'll assume staff are being paid fairly and only tip for exceptional service.

I think that the autotip is probably dead in the water from now in reality. Will be a bit of a nonsense if anyone has to queue to cancel but I think that most will and probably tip less than the £7 as well.

If you paid cash tips of £7 ppd why did you remove the auto grats?

It is only the waiters and cabin stewards who get the tips anyway.

Because, we prefer to tip in person and I never was reassured as to who actually got it. When we started cruising there was no autotip and a tip is something freely given, not put on your bill as a service charge.